RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Repeat names of horses

I don't know what you all think but when Melody Belle started racing I thought to myself "how could a horse be named Melody Belle again?"

if I remember correctly ( and I'm prone to the odd bout of mad cow) Melody Belle about 40 years ago was a group winner that the Sartens bred from the famous "Belle" family. How can there be named two of them in our country? This seems like utter madness to me. Why don't the powers that be use common sense in our country and make a policy that if any horse wins/ places in a black type race in this country then no other horse can be named the same. Simple logic I would have thought.

And while I'm onto names, and I know another thread is dancing around the edges of this one, but why aren't we keeping the base name(historical) for all of our stakes races and allow the sponsors to peg their name on the front of the Historical name? It is ludicrous to change these names because the breeder and follower of pedigree form can't/ won't be able to, be tracked in ones mind accurately. The Elerslie Sires Produce is a prime example of this. In a pedigree any international will see its former name but now it's the Sistema. Talk about screw with history and re-write the book. 

This does not make sense

• Names cannot exceed 18 characters, including the spaces.
  • Don't apply for names whose spelling or pronunciation is similar to names already registered.
  • A name cannot be reused until 15 years has elapsed since the foaling of a similar named horse.
  • Names for broodmares cannot be used again until 12 years has elapsed since that name last appeared in a Volume of the Stud Book.
  • Names of winners of Group One races are protected.
  • Name of a Stallion cannot be used until 15 years after it last appeared in a studbook.

The name should have been protected because of race record of the original filly.

Group 1 races were not in place when she was racing.

Too late now but they should be more careful to protect iconic names.

Chris correct David Peake was her regular rider. However when she won her debut at Dargaville on 23/11/73 she was ridden by Bob Skelton. David took over at her second start which she also won- the Goodwood Stakes at Ellerslie on 26/12/73.

On 4/6/2017 at 7:59 AM, Berri said:

I don't know what you all think but when Melody Belle started racing I thought to myself "how could a horse be named Melody Belle again?"

if I remember correctly ( and I'm prone to the odd bout of mad cow) Melody Belle about 40 years ago was a group winner that the Sartens bred from the famous "Belle" family. How can there be named two of them in our country? This seems like utter madness to me. Why don't the powers that be use common sense in our country and make a policy that if any horse wins/ places in a black type race in this country then no other horse can be named the same. Simple logic I would have thought.

And while I'm onto names, and I know another thread is dancing around the edges of this one, but why aren't we keeping the base name(historical) for all of our stakes races and allow the sponsors to peg their name on the front of the Historical name? It is ludicrous to change these names because the breeder and follower of pedigree form can't/ won't be able to, be tracked in ones mind accurately. The Elerslie Sires Produce is a prime example of this. In a pedigree any international will see its former name but now it's the Sistema. Talk about screw with history and re-write the book. 

This does not make sense

Think similarly Berri, especially with Melody Belle though fortunately this one might be just as good as the earlier one.  I't bound to happen though given a new generation who are not aware of earlier names. I wasn't thrilled though when I saw a horse in Southland named Dhaulagiri (sp??) albeit an Aussie champ and one of the few to beat the mighty Tulloch I think. The Kiwi horse can hardly raise a sweat but I guess if you don't know then ignorance is bliss.

17 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Remarkably when Melody Belle won her debut at Dargaville on 23/11/73 the runner up was also making her debut a filly called Perhaps who went on to win the 1976 Auckland Cup. Dont dismiss Dargaville form!

haha, that's one horse in 100 years of racing at Dargaville Gubes.  No horses trained there any more so it may not exist for much longer. I know Rogie is a staunch supporter but he was a staunch supporter of Paeroa too. That's life.

Ted the original Ironbark  raced 85 times for 7 wins. 5 on the flat and 2 over hurdles. His first win was at Tauranga on 21/3/64 ridden by Gary Willetts. His main flat win was the Taumaranui Cup at Te Awamutu on 29/7/67 ridden by Brian Andrews. His main hurdle win was the Waikato Hurdles on 10/5/69 ridden by Colin Lewis. He was by The Summit out of Fair Ann.

On 4/30/2017 at 2:37 PM, rdytdy said:

I note a horse in at Matamata on Wednesday having it's first start, Ironbark. Ironbark was not a bad horse that was trained by Bill Sanders.

Made a pretty good fist of it too Ted at 7s a place.

Noticed a few more re-runs on the weekend. Maiden Cologne, Trevor McKee had a stakes-winning filly by that name in the 60's. Cashel - Ray Verner had one of these. From memory won his first 3 or 4 on end and later was a handy jumper. Yardarm and Yardstick were winter gallopers in the 60s too (can't understand why George Simon pronunces it Y'darm when it's obviously Yard Arm. Obviously not a sailor).

Blue Cologne won the Wellesley Stakes at Trentham on 13/10/84 ridden by David Walsh. She raced six times at 2 for two wins then went to Australia where she won a race over 1900m. Cashel raced five times at 2. Unplaced first start then won at Rotorua 27/5/61, Avondale on 1/7/61 and 8/7/61 and Matamata on 14/7/61. Norm Holland the rider. Yardarm was a full brother to Mainbrace. He won 2/29. Ellerslie 10/10/53 ridden by Grenville Hughes and Ellerslie 6/11/54 ridden by Wally Hooton. Yardstick won 9/104. Main wins South Auckland Cup 28/11/64 ridden by Noel Riordan. Te Awamutu Cup 19/12/64 ridden by Noel. Founders Plate at Te Rapa 8/5/65 ridden by John Humphries and Paeroa Cup 18/3/67 ridden by Snow Sheat.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, Greg Lindsay said:
  • Names cannot exceed 18 characters, including the spaces.
  • Don't apply for names whose spelling or pronunciation is similar to names already registered.
  • A name cannot be reused until 15 years has elapsed since the foaling of a similar named horse.
  • Names for broodmares cannot be used again until 12 years has elapsed since that name last appeared in a Volume of the Stud Book.
  • Names of winners of Group One races are protected.
  • Name of a Stallion cannot be used until 15 years after it last appeared in a studbook.

Where did you get these from?

We had a horse named Verify run the other day - foaled in 2012.  There was also a (in)famous horse of the same name foaled in 2000.

10 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

Where did you get these from?

We had a horse named Verify run the other day - foaled in 2012.  There was also a (in)famous horse of the same name foaled in 2000.

Possibly now dead, officially a hack or officially de-registered.