RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Double R

Memories of Chestnut Colour Horses

If we went by stallions then Pakistan and Battle Waggon had a string of super chestnuts. e.g Panzer Chiel was quite striking. Battle Eve etc.

However the best chestnut unfortunately I can't remember the name. It raced mid to late eighties won several in a row and trained I think by Garth or Craig Ivil. Got injured when Lance O'Sullivan cut across it in a WFA at Ellerslie. Could have been anything.

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

If we went by stallions then Pakistan and Battle Waggon had a string of super chestnuts. e.g Panzer Chiel was quite striking. Battle Eve etc.

However the best chestnut unfortunately I can't remember the name. It raced mid to late eighties won several in a row and trained I think by Garth or Craig Ivil. Got injured when Lance O'Sullivan cut across it in a WFA at Ellerslie. Could have been anything.

Golden King?

37 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Golden King?

You are so right!!!

Got a feeling when he got galloped on he went out favourite in the Auckland WFA in a field that included Bonecrusher and Horlicks.

Looking at the NZTR database when he won the Thorndon Mile (George Adams) on his ear the time was faster than anything we've seen in the last 20 years over 1600 at Trentham.

Lilt was a lovely chestnut, a sweet mare with a definite mind of her own :) and I adored feeding her oddfellows ..  probably the top looker for me to race in NZ to date.

Thorn Park was a gorgeous boy, and the most stunning of them all globally to my eye, Secretariat closely followed by New Approach :)

I would like to nominate as outstanding Chestnut Historian's.   Kincsem  who  won  54  races  in  a  row  and   Eclipse  who   won  18  races !   The dashing and outstanding Sebring is producing plenty of both sprinters and stayer's at stud.

Cheer's.

The horse that got me hooked on racing as a teenager was TRITON..(Pakistan 11 - Hauani)

.a Central Districts sprinter-miler trained by Syd Brown..won his first 6 or 7 starts in NZ then went to Oz and cleaned up over there. Chestnut with a white blaze and 4 white socks...what a looker he was!

Perhaps one of you cafers can dig out a pic of him for me! 

As a young(er) fella, back in 1988, I went to Trentham on both Saturdays of the Cup carnival.  Darias Fun won on both days including the Cup (I think Empire Rose ran in that Cup), but the chestnut horse I always remember was Golden King who won big mile races on both days of the carnival - very nice horse!

6 minutes ago, N1MUE said:

As a young(er) fella, back in 1988, I went to Trentham on both Saturdays of the Cup carnival.  Darias Fun won on both days including the Cup (I think Empire Rose ran in that Cup), but the chestnut horse I always remember was Golden King who won big mile races on both days of the carnival - very nice horse!

Golden King was mentioned earlier in this thread. Phillip Mercer had a good association with him.  

On 3/31/2017 at 10:43 PM, globederby12 said:

Captain Harcourt , very flashy chestnut. Won the 1974 Great Northern Derby and 1975 Auckland Cup, Not a brilliant Pacer ( the thread didn't say it had to be a Thoroughbred) but a very courageous and consistent performer. Locarno was another one.

He was a cracker Rees....he won 22 races, it was a tragedy when he broke his leg.

IMG_2759.JPG

Although the chestnut gene is resessive, I predict that the chestnut horse will in the near future be almost non existent on NZ racetracks. 

My reasoning for this is that there is not a single chestnut stallion advertised in the latest copy of the NZ Stallion Register. 

16 minutes ago, Insider said:

Although the chestnut gene is resessive, I predict that the chestnut horse will in the near future be almost non existent on NZ racetracks. 

My reasoning for this is that there is not a single chestnut stallion advertised in the latest copy of the NZ Stallion Register. 

You will have to go to the odd Trot meeting then Liz to see one.

6 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

You will have to go to the odd Trot meeting then Liz to see one.

When I was young, you never saw a grey standardbred, now they are reasonably commonplace. 

Was it Royce Wilkie who revised “greys” amongst that bred. 

In the thoroughbred game, greys were very common once upon a time, primarily because of Kurdistan and Sovereign Edition and a few others such as Sovereign Price, and Regalis etc, then they became very rare. 

Going forward it looks like we will see plenty of greys led by the Reliable Man’s.