RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Double R

Memories of Chestnut Colour Horses

Thought I would start a discussion on memories of stunning looking chestnut horses.

Triton, Catering King, Bonecrusher, Captains Command, Final Orders, Fury's Order.

Cheers.

Robert.

no champion but my grand fathers best horse was a chestnut named Gold Cloud.  Cost him only a few grand to purchase, going back here about 15-20 years ago now.  Won a couple of stakes races, won 10 races, came 6th in a thousands guineas.  Beat a very good horse called Kaapeon.  Raced against a very good mare called Tycoon Lil.

Hes approaching 80 my grandfather but his best memory's as a trainer and majority owner were of this horse.  His proudest moments as a trainer were with this mare.  She was head strong, but tough and he made a good profit on-selling her too.

Interesting thread. I remember as a teenager in the sixties seeing Captains Command power home through a wall of horses to win a mile at Ellerslie. Don't remember what time of year (maybe Easter) but i'm sure it was the last race on the programme. Isn't it funny the things that stick in your mind.

20 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Blue,

The Captains Command, I could recall, racing in the South Island in the 60's, but perhaps he did race in Auckland. Someone else might be able to help.

Cheers.

Robert.

Different horse,i believe the one Blue is talking about was trained by M Moroney and the SI was trained by H Anderton.

SNR

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Different horse,i believe the one Blue is talking about was trained by M Moroney and the SI was trained by H Anderton.

SNR

M Moroney was nowhere to be seen in the 60s.

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

Hi Blue, Captain's Command raced 64 times for 13 wins. He never won a race at Ellerslie. He was initially trained by A.I. Powell at Wingatui then Hec Anderton at the same track.

Placed at Ellerslie?

Blue. Captain's Command ran twice at Ellerslie. On 26/12/66 he was unplaced in the last race the Christmas Handicap over a mile. Norm Holland rode him. Pell Mell won the race ridden by Anthony Ford for Joe Bromby. On the 2/1/67 Captain's Command ran third in the Railway Handicap ridden by Bill Skelton. The winner was the dashing chestnut Gene ridden by Norm Holland for co trainers Ray Cotter and Fred Phillips. Valiant Rebel and David Peake ran second and High Glee ridden by Gary Willetts ran fourth.

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

The winner was the dashing chestnut Gene ridden by Norm Holland for co trainers Ray Cotter and Fred Phillips. Valiant Rebel and David Peake ran second and High Glee ridden by Gary Willetts ran fourth.

Gene :wub:

I can still hear Syd Tonks calling .. was it the Stars Travel? at Tauranga

Gene Game - Gene Game - Gene Game - Game Gene !:(

vS that race was the Stars Travel Invitation Stakes at Tauranga on 21/3/70. Game ridden by Bruce Marsh won by 1.5 lengths from the chestnut Bardall ridden by Roger Lang with Gene a neck away third ridden by John Riordan. Aristoc ridden by John Messent was fourth and Highland Rebel and John Harris fifth. Unplaced were Backfire and Lindsay Carston, Il Tempo and Noel Riordan, Johnny Cash and David Peake, Loofah and Kevin Cullen, Tatua and Buzz Leggett, Honour Me and Garry Edge, and Not Again and Ron Taylor. Vintage days indeed!

vS Gene won the George Adams Handicap at Ellerslie on the 2/1/69. Ridden by Bill Skelton he won by 4.5 lengths in 1.33.8 for the 1 mile. Lord Cheval and Bruce Compton ran second and Felix Dee and Grenville Hughes ran third.

my first horse was a chestnut  in the early 80's no champ paid 1500 buck s for him but think he won 10 or so  races- 4th in a kings plate- was great time to own a horse-- penycae  rodger hinton  Avondale days - some good trainers there- barney meyer  doug Vincent Charlie Faulkner-- good days -big crowds.seems a lifetime ago