RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest 2Admin2

Gingernuts - the TAB Customer Journey

Guest 2Admin2

A story relayed to me by a mate....

"I've been observing from the sidelines the betting behaviour of a group of friends.  They have got hooked into realtime in play sports fixed odds betting.  At their local watching the cricket or a rugby game they will have the TAB mobile app on their smart phones and will watch the odds change as a wicket falls or a try is scored.

Avondale Guineas day they were on the app and watching the cricket and saw an advertisement for the Guineas.  Having had a successful sports punt the week before and being absolutely sure the cricket would end in a draw (which they had got at good odds during the day) they thought they may as well have a look at the Guineas field.  I guess the beer and watching the scantily dressed attractive young women walking through the bar drew them to the name Gingernuts.

So they have a punt - and yes they got very excited watching the race on their smart phone - the bar wouldn't switch from the cricket to the racing.  Well we all know Gingernuts paid a dividend and the boys were happy.

A couple of weeks later they were at their sports betting again.  I caught up with one of them and mentioned that Gingernuts was going around in the Derby.  They didn't know but immediately switched the app to the racing odds and spent a bit more than they had previously - afterall they were well in front.  Again watching on the smart phone they roared Gingerbollocks home getting some weird looks from bar staff and other customers.

Yep - the story repeats again!!!  The Rosehill Guineas!  Again they didn't know until I mentioned it to one of them and after a quick ring around their team they all gathered having off loaded on The Nuts!  This day the cricket although still in play was heading towards a miserable result for New Zealand and so given the enthusiasm that had been generated two weeks previously the bar was happy to switch over.  What a noise and a sight to behold as Gingernuts, Gingerbollocks, The Nuts romped home to loud thunderous barracking."

Now it got me to thinking:

1. What does a well named good horse do for racing?  Heaps.
  2. Synergistic sports betting and advertising can actually led to more betting on racing.
  3. But....always a but....there's a gap....where was the personalised directed marketing towards the guys who had the first bet on Ginger?  If it wasn't for someone else who had an interest in watching the big races the guys who had bet on Ginger in the Guineas would never have known he was going around again in the Derby nor Rosehill.

There's some theory that if you repeat something so many times it becomes a habit.  The sports bet team are already trying to find the best odds for the AJC Derby and have even started looking at Cox Plates but only because the person who has an interest in watching the big races pointed out that Ginger hadn't finished racing yet.

TAB - how about sending a text or email to those recidivist Gingernuts dunkers and letting them know what is on the horizon?  You may not need to rely on "that friend who watches the big races".

Agree with the power of directed marketing, but wouldn't the challenge be in identifying that these guys are Gingernut dunkers?  Would require some sophisticated data mining to identify this.  

I'm no data expert so others might be able to tell us it's easy, but I'm guessing the name (Gingernuts) doesn't feature in their data - its just meeting (or option) number and saddlecloth.

Guest 2Admin2
36 minutes ago, The Crucible said:

Agree with the power of directed marketing, but wouldn't the challenge be in identifying that these guys are Gingernut dunkers?  Would require some sophisticated data mining to identify this.  

I'm no data expert so others might be able to tell us it's easy, but I'm guessing the name (Gingernuts) doesn't feature in their data - its just meeting (or option) number and saddlecloth.

Data key on Meeting number/Option number + horse number.  Easy peasy I would have thought.

1 minute ago, 2Admin2 said:

Data key on Meeting number/Option number + horse number.  Easy peasy I would have thought.

Yep may well be - like I said I'm no data expert.

But my point was, to identify someone who has a pattern of betting on Gingernuts they need to capture the horse name field (not just meeting/option & number)

The whole Gingernuts story is being so underdone its not funny, as you've pointed out the name is ripe for an attack on the mainstream publics attention but no one barring TA have cottoned on. 

A huge group of owners that don't mind promoting themselves , hats boisterous colourful characters etc 

I think the ship has already sailed on this one , especially if he is unsuccessful in the derby.

But the TAB really have no idea about promotion let alone promoting an individual horse, they do not understand the journey , the behind the scenes, the compounding stories and interest that come from the horse and its enthusiasts. They don't realise that this sort of interest grows their business and support over time, They take a very short term view on punting and this is what you get. 

But as some have pointed out on here previously , this is what you get when you don't have personnel involved in running racing entities in this country that don't have a passion for the sport.

Weekly i get an email from the TAB with the subject past winner alert - it shows the previous winning bets (they can be place bets) and where that particular horse is racing next

other option is for them to put the horse in the horse tracker via their account, so they get an alert for every start

Guest 2Admin2
1 hour ago, Tiger Tiger said:

Weekly i get an email from the TAB with the subject past winner alert - it shows the previous winning bets (they can be place bets) and where that particular horse is racing next

other option is for them to put the horse in the horse tracker via their account, so they get an alert for every start

That's fine but you are obviously a regular punter.  The guys I was talking about aren't regular racing punters but do dabble with sports betting.  They had no idea Gingernuts was running again yet the TAB has the information to directly target them.  Google Advertising calls this micro-moment targeting.  I know this is beyond the skills of the NZRB marketing geniuses but using digital advertising it is possible to target to the level I'm talking about.