RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
sekoons

geoff small

2 hours ago, tim vince said:

missed everywhere  great trainer but owners seem his problem - not the only one of course but hard to imagine with his record he cant attract  some big spending clients-

He's been battling massively the last 5 or so years hasn't he? His horses are certainly missing something, sure makes ya wonder what some of his previous good horses were on, ala Tim Butt.

7 minutes ago, BackPoonDrinkGoon said:

He's been battling massively the last 5 or so years hasn't he? His horses are certainly missing something, sure makes ya wonder what some of his previous good horses were on, ala Tim Butt.

Well that's an interesting "veiled" statement...However, misinformed it is.  Around 5 years ago, Geoff made a conscious decision to stop buying yearlings at the sales.  He was taking massive risks with HIS MONEY, and inevitably, would end up with pieces of all the horses.  He didnt have big-spending owners going to the sales, and was taking all the risk himself.

As a consequence of that, the quality of horses coming in the front gate certainly diminished, and as a result of that, he has obviously failed to produce any genuine Group performers.  However, the training ability can never be denied. He has won almost every big race going in New Zealand, and if he ever managed to attract a big-spending owner into the barn, he would be more than capable of winning Group races again. 

23 minutes ago, tim vince said:

when u write that shit put your name to it- or be a flea- flea-

trainers in harness have to put up with this shit week after week especially if you have a good run. u probably work in smith and caugheys in ladies underwear take some home and bet  a buck each way- flea

Your letting emotion get in the way of the facts. Sure small is a top trainer, but when he was given a 2 year ban in nsw in 2009 when changeover lost a second group 1 race as a result of a positive,those handing down the 2 year ban described smalls record as "appalling,including 4 positives since 2007' .    Google it if you've forgotten.

51 minutes ago, Bruce J Hadley said:

Well that's an interesting "veiled" statement...However, misinformed it is.  Around 5 years ago, Geoff made a conscious decision to stop buying yearlings at the sales.  He was taking massive risks with HIS MONEY, and inevitably, would end up with pieces of all the horses.  He didnt have big-spending owners going to the sales, and was taking all the risk himself.

As a consequence of that, the quality of horses coming in the front gate certainly diminished, and as a result of that, he has obviously failed to produce any genuine Group performers.  However, the training ability can never be denied. He has won almost every big race going in New Zealand, and if he ever managed to attract a big-spending owner into the barn, he would be more than capable of winning Group races again. 

bruce will he get those big spending trainers in aust

1 hour ago, tim vince said:

trainers in harness have to put up with this shit week after week especially if you have a good run. u probably work in smith and caugheys in ladies underwear take some home and bet  a buck each way- flea

Love your work Timmy!!!  hahaha

One thing you can never take away from Small is his ability to "polarise the people". Everyone either loved him or hated him when he was a "group one trainer", and it's still the same now that he's a "Manawatu trainer".

I've never met the guy, and have no particular leaning either way, but I'd have thought his tumble down the trainers board since that series of postitive swabs is pretty hard to brush off as sheer co-incidence .... even for the faithful

8 hours ago, JackSprat said:

I've never met the guy, and have no particular leaning either way, but I'd have thought his tumble down the trainers board since that series of postitive swabs is pretty hard to brush off as sheer co-incidence .... even for the faithful

Totally agree, you don't go from having the likes of Elsu, Changeover, Awesome Armbro, Copper Beach, TinTin In America etc......to a stable of Palmy and country horses just for no reason, I think we all know what that reason is!

19 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Totally agree, you don't go from having the likes of Elsu, Changeover, Awesome Armbro, Copper Beach, TinTin In America etc......to a stable of Palmy and country horses just for no reason, I think we all know what that reason is!

So what you are saying is that when those horses were racing, that the testing systems in place at that time was useless?

Those horses had a lot of starts and performed at the highest level and yet nothing was picked up?

Geoff may have run foul with officialdom frequently but his training record also shows that he was clearly a very good trainer!

19 minutes ago, Brodie said:

So what you are saying is that when those horses were racing, that the testing systems in place at that time was useless?

Those horses had a lot of starts and performed at the highest level and yet nothing was picked up?

Geoff may have run foul with officialdom frequently but his training record also shows that he was clearly a very good trainer!

Nothing was picked up?

More like things were "picked up" in his horses more times than any other trainer in recent memory!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

LOL! Yet you personally have thrown out a large amount of accusations about Purdon... Hypocrite much.

took me a while to warm to Geoff small,

syn I was in some years back raced in the swing ,

Geoff gave us our first win with her,

broken promises and red cosmic sky walker... no champions but

great pleasure.. if I had big money, he's the one I'd get to train for me..

him and that other guy Tim  what's his name.. I'm warming to him as well :)

1 hour ago, JackSprat said:

Nothing was picked up?

More like things were "picked up" in his horses more times than any other trainer in recent memory!

Jack, are you saying that those horses that WhoKnows quoted returned positives???

51 minutes ago, BackPoonDrinkGoon said:

LOL! Yet you personally have thrown out a large amount of accusations about Purdon... Hypocrite much.

No accusations thrown at anyone BPDH!

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, tim vince said:

Heres another one for you mr vince.  Remember a horse called Another creation.  Did you not have a share in that?  Did it not start in a $200,000 race at Auckland one day against a couple of small runners. Have you forgotten what you thought of mr small and his tactics back then.      Try googling that.  Some of us do have memories. 

some of us live in the past, what a post.

if you guys were really consistent  of all your anti drug within racing and harness etc,

all these jockeys, drivers, trainers, owners that have been snatched, you would see the lot of them tossed out

of the industry, short of lynched.

there are a few at the top of the industry some of you have strong wraps on. they can do no wrong BUT

we all know  some of them have treaded were no man dares.

yet some of you have forgiven them.

then there are the ones you guys really HATE.

Geoff small has long been one of those on racecafe..

we had a guy down Invercargill way that wouldn't allow a small trained runner to race there.

never mind at that time he had some really good horse flesh running around.

to me this haltered brings the industry into disrepute just as much as drugs within the industries..

what some here are doing is  SELECTED DISGRIMINATION  against a few trainers/drivers/owners etc

and with others, she's right mate, shit happens, move on attitude.

were would the harness industry be without the likes of dexter dunn?

just as healthy or corrupt as it is now.

while these horses were in Geoff smalls care, does not necessary mean he personally doped the horses

as we know there are many things around a barn etc that they nibble on, even mike shaking (something you don't hear much of these days)

has it's advantages. i'm not vet but have read this in I believe a trainer that ended up going to Australia because every time he farted the

official's were sniffing his undies. ..

enough is enough, move on and get over it .

4 hours ago, final luca said:

some of us live in the past, what a post.

if you guys were really consistent  of all your anti drug within racing and harness etc,

all these jockeys, drivers, trainers, owners that have been snatched, you would see the lot of them tossed out

of the industry, short of lynched.

there are a few at the top of the industry some of you have strong wraps on. they can do no wrong BUT

we all know  some of them have treaded were no man dares.

yet some of you have forgiven them.

then there are the ones you guys really HATE.

Geoff small has long been one of those on racecafe..

we had a guy down Invercargill way that wouldn't allow a small trained runner to race there.

never mind at that time he had some really good horse flesh running around.

to me this haltered brings the industry into disrepute just as much as drugs within the industries..

what some here are doing is  SELECTED DISGRIMINATION  against a few trainers/drivers/owners etc

and with others, she's right mate, shit happens, move on attitude.

were would the harness industry be without the likes of dexter dunn?

just as healthy or corrupt as it is now.

while these horses were in Geoff smalls care, does not necessary mean he personally doped the horses

as we know there are many things around a barn etc that they nibble on, even mike shaking (something you don't hear much of these days)

has it's advantages. i'm not vet but have read this in I believe a trainer that ended up going to Australia because every time he farted the

official's were sniffing his undies. ..

enough is enough, move on and get over it .

Sorry but your talking rubbish.  I hate no one  I'm consistent in my message.  Obviously your not.   You think it ok to defend Geoff small because you've  had an association with him while you condemn others of the same thing. That's double standards .  You need to get over the need to rewrite history.  As to my replies to mr vince I was simply highlighting his views are not backed up by facts.  When the Australians handed down the 2 year ban to mr small and described his record as appalling ,it was because they thought it was appalling. Mr small was guilty of the most blatant piece of team driving I have ever seen in that $200,000 race at Auckland a few years ago.    Do you know who was quoted in the papers as demanding something be done about it. It was Mr tim vince.    His  comments about people being fleas I thought funny given history.   As Dr phil always says, the best way to predict future behavior is past behavior. Personally I have nothing against Geoff small,good luck to him in the future,but don't tell me his past actions were appropriate.