RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
what a post

christen me

12 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

What an absolute disgrace, he's made a lot of people rich and they've sold the poor old boy down the river...there are a lot of the wrong kind of people in this great game...you can see the poor old horse has had enough..he's earn't his oats...it reminds me of the 80's when nz was decimated of all the good horses by greedy owners selling up to charlie hunters CSA ltd

Why are they Greedy.Just because they make the most of earning out of the horse what they can..Its only a horse ,no reason it should be treated any different to a maiden that will never win a race or do you think people should be treated differently as well,sorted by classes.

12 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

What an absolute disgrace, he's made a lot of people rich and they've sold the poor old boy down the river...there are a lot of the wrong kind of people in this great game...you can see the poor old horse has had enough..he's earn't his oats...it reminds me of the 80's when nz was decimated of all the good horses by greedy owners selling up to charlie hunters CSA ltd

As I said in my earlier post, I understand he has not been sold. I do not see any difference from the horse relocating to another trainer in Australia for easier options, and going to America.

Cheers.

Robert.

44 minutes ago, Double R said:

As I said in my earlier post, I understand he has not been sold. I do not see any difference from the horse relocating to another trainer in Australia for easier options, and going to America.

Cheers.

Robert.

You had better get onto Markham at HRNZ then....mind you, they often get things wrong....:rolleyes:

http://www.hrnz.co.nz/news-and-events/latest-news/5230-christen-me-us-bound

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I wasn't saying anything about  people or maidens should be treated differently the discussion is about christen me last time I looked!!  how could you not be loyal to a great horse like that...it will just be run into the ground now pumped full of drugs. Used and abused ...

and that is my opinion.

So with that opinion ,what would you say about the Deans who sold Cardigan Bay to the States ? He was great before he went there so why wouldn't you be "loyal" and keep him at home. I could name others. You have already condemned the poor horse to a fate worse than death without any evidence to the contrary. That's my opinion.

38 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

So with that opinion ,what would you say about the Deans who sold Cardigan Bay to the States ? He was great before he went there so why wouldn't you be "loyal" and keep him at home. I could name others. You have already condemned the poor horse to a fate worse than death without any evidence to the contrary. That's my opinion.

Different times to be fair Globe. Cardy was a pioneer in that respect.

He was always going to come back to NZ too...Christen Me won't if accounts are correct.

IMO horses that retire sound & have a good nature deserve a life after racing.  Champions like Christen Me are in a different league in that they've earned their retirement.

I always slow down past a large paddock in West Melton to catch a glimpse of the occupants.  Lyell Creek, Take a Moment, can't recall the others - such a great sight to see these old warriors happy and obviously very well cared for.

41 minutes ago, Jazz said:

IMO horses that retire sound & have a good nature deserve a life after racing.  Champions like Christen Me are in a different league in that they've earned their retirement.

I always slow down past a large paddock in West Melton to catch a glimpse of the occupants.  Lyell Creek, Take a Moment, can't recall the others - such a great sight to see these old warriors happy and obviously very well cared for.

How do you know that Christen Me will not be treated well in the U.S.? You are all making wild assumptions about the fate of the horse. In my opinion, he will be better looked after in the U.S. than he is now. In the States each horse has a personal groom to tend to them. Also as they race over a mile in the U.S. the training and racing regime will also be easier on the horse. 

11 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

How do you know that Christen Me will not be treated well in the U.S.? You are all making wild assumptions about the fate of the horse. In my opinion, he will be better looked after in the U.S. than he is now. In the States each horse has a personal groom to tend to them. Also as they race over a mile in the U.S. the training and racing regime will also be easier on the horse. 

And that is why so many horses in States can race until they 9 or 10.They look after them so much better than anywhere else in the world.

3 hours ago, richie said:

And that is why so many horses in States can race until they 9 or 10.They look after them so much better than anywhere else in the world.

3 hours ago, richie said:

And when Christen Me has passed his used by date, the owners will definitely be very caring and give him a fabulous retirement because they were the ones that won $2.5m in stakes, NOT!,

If he doesn't acclimatise to U.S. Conditions, then his days are more than likely over as he is a gelding.

Sad ending for one of our very best horses!!

On 20 March 2017 at 9:08 PM, Thejanitor said:

I don't think anyone's insinuating that he won't be well cared for by his new trainer or while racing (well I certainly wasn't).  It's more around the uncertainty of what happens to him in a foreign country when they finally call it a day.  Like it or not people follow top horses and take an interest in their careers.  I think it's great so many people care what happens to him, if nobody was bothered I would be more concerned.

9 hours ago, Jazz said:

I don't think anyone's insinuating that he won't be well cared for by his new trainer or while racing (well I certainly wasn't).  It's more around the uncertainty of what happens to him in a foreign country when they finally call it a day.  Like it or not people follow top horses and take an interest in their careers.  I think it's great so many people care what happens to him, if nobody was bothered I would be more concerned.

As I have said previously, the owners obviously have the right to sell their horse.

On the face of it though it appears that the owners were more concerned about how they can make even more money out of Christen Me who had already done a fairly good job for them by winning $2.5m.

Otherwise, why wouldn't they have at least retained a share in the horse and a clause to have the horse returned to NZ for a deserved retirement.

On 20/03/2017 at 4:42 PM, Flagship uberalles said:

Cardigan bay was a champ when he went over...(and the thread is not about him).christen me appears to have had enough getting beaten by class 4+5 horses. if you had any loyalty to a horse who has won you lotto twice over you would put him in a paddock for a well earned retirement.....money money money

C4-5 ???

Try Group 3 or better rated races in the last 2 years.  To me he was always a very good sprinter / mid distance horse. Never the greatest stayer.  Also some he started on a handicap - reason ? - to give lasser horses a equal chance ( in the eyes of the handicapper). In all I think  (more) horses are getting quicker overall which makes it harder to get past them all. He deserves a chance to make a statement in the US and if he does that,  helps our industry along.

9 hours ago, 2Piper said:

C4-5 ???

Try Group 3 or better rated races in the last 2 years.  To me he was always a very good sprinter / mid distance horse. Never the greatest stayer.  Also some he started on a handicap - reason ? - to give lasser horses a equal chance ( in the eyes of the handicapper). In all I think  (more) horses are getting quicker overall which makes it harder to get past them all. He deserves a chance to make a statement in the US and if he does that,  helps our industry along.

So why wasn't Christen Me sent over when he was racing well?

On the face of it , he was only sold because he is not able to race in NZ any longer and the owners were able to grab some more cash from a horse that has tried his heart out over a long time.

Personally, don't think it helps our industry at all, it taints it!

53 minutes ago, Brodie said:

On the face of it , he was only sold because he is not able to race in NZ any longer and the owners were able to grab some more cash from a horse that has tried his heart out over a long time.

I thoroughly agree with you Brodie.

People love champions and one of the big downfalls in NZ racing is a lack of them, lack of desire to keep them in NZ , and lack of promotion of them. It is what used to get people to actually attend a race meeting just to see a horse. The worst possible turnoff for someone new to racing is to see a horse who is perceived as a champion  then being treated like a piece of meat, sent offshore to run against horses he would have donkey licked in his heyday  and then ends up in the knackers yard. People do not like to see their hero's treated like this and feel betrayed.   How do you think the Australian public would react to Winx or Black Caviar being treated like this ? The papers would have a field day .Young Quinn and Cardigan Bay were both returned to NZ after they had raced with distinction against the best horses there.

This is a horse who many people have admired for his racing ability and he deserves a better fate particularly after he has returned his owners over 2 million dollars. Incidentally I do not think he was in the champion class for some of the reasons 2 Piper has outlined and have my own reservations about him.

Sure the owners can do whatever they like but it shows up the mercenary side of racing in a sport which promotes  itself to newcomers as making horses appear as if they are well looked after and owners and trainers want the best outcome for them.

Okay, so he is going to America and we have all got our opinions.

Once he gets there and gets acclimatized, based on how he was going before leaving, what mile time do we think he will go. Sub 1.50 for me.

Cheers.

Robert.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:26 AM, Brodie said:

The money in Australia and at home was the ticket . As I posted earlier some horses adapt better to the  US, why seemingly at his peak send him on a huge export trip . I believe he was racing just as well as ever, just more horses getting towards that mark.

On 3/24/2017 at 11:14 AM, Double R said:

Okay, so he is going to America and we have all got our opinions.

Once he gets there and gets acclimatized, based on how he was going before leaving, what mile time do we think he will go. Sub 1.50 for me.

Cheers.

Robert.

1;48 mile track. 1;51 half mile track

Attributed to Vicky Purdon in today's Harness Express:

"As far as I am concerned, we have sold the horse and whatever the new owners choose to do with him is up to them."

Words fail me.

1 hour ago, Basil said:

"As far as I am concerned, we have sold the horse and whatever the new owners choose to do with him is up to them."

Words fail me.

We could all say something but probably safer not to!

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Words fail me.

..this post has me seething ..it's what many of us in this threadposting, have been concerned and suspicious about !

3 hours ago, Basil said:

Words fail me.

Basil, are you a subscriber? How do you find it?

On 3/30/2017 at 6:04 PM, tim vince said:

saw pictures of him arriving safely- should do a huge job on lasix

Maybe he will Tim, but you are a man that loves the older horses and do a great job with them.

Surely though most owners that I know what not have such a cavalier attitude if they owned a horse that had given them such a great thrill in ownership and 2.5m.

To put it bluntly, the owners have said we have made plenty off Christen Me and he is finished in Nz so we can get a bit more if we sell him, and we don't give a toss where he races and when he goes to the knackers yard'!!!!!!!!