RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
what a post

christen me

Did they say this horse was sold last night on trackside? Wonder where he is going. His record shows he was a great horse and an exceptional sprinter. Personally I had thought he was racing like a horse with a bit of heart strain, and they say horses with that can still be good sprinters so maybe going to America with their mile racing prolongs his earning capacity. Personally I think it a shame that he is sold as once he goes to another stable,especially overseas he is just a horse who's job it is to earn money and who knows what will happen to him.  The sentiment attached to him will not be there as it would be if he was still at the dalgety barn.  He would have been guaranteed a good retirement by dalgety,lets hope he gets one overseas.

Surprising the owners have sold him!

With what Christen Me has won for them, you would think they would give him a great retirement here, but obviously the mighty dollar is more important to some!

Their horse so they can do what they want. Clearly it is about the money as they believe he can earn more over there by racing on a product that limits what they say is a problem he has. To state  the horse would be happier in the stable environment and kept active is fair enough but clearly this can be done at the dalgety stable without racing him and sending him overseas.  Clearly it is about what they can get out of him, which I guess is what he is, a racehorse.   That's just the way things work.   We all have different ideas on how to treat horses, what goes  in their systems, and what point they should be retired.     The connections of christen me should be entitled to do as they deem fit, whether or not it would be what we do ourselves.  I think the most important thing is that they not be exposed to treatments that effect their health and that they be treated kindly irrespective of their ability.  Christen me was special, and always will be to harness fans,lets hope he does well and finds a good home. 

17 hours ago, cantab matt said:

do they still race on Lasix in the States?

I believe it is banned in some states and not others.

Would be interested as in the thoroughbreds there has been a lot of changes and it is more widely banned now.

Yes, it up to the owners what they do with the horse as they have paid the bills etc.

The sale had a clause in it that said that the horse could be returned to NZ after racing has finished.

Interesting to know what sort if money they got for Christen Me though.

Interesting also that NZ doesn't allow bleeders and parts of the U.S. do!

Not a vet, but does anyone know if internal bleeding in racehorses would be painful for them, if so on the face of it, it would appear a bit rough on the horse considering the money and enjoyment that he must've given the owners!

Hi everyone, this topic makes me sad and angry. lets not jazz this up .This a disgrace to the Industry. There are 2.47 million reasons why a good retirement was due an outstanding icon. A few extra dollars to race in the USA lets down all of us. I think he should have been able to retire with dignity and not be subject to the worn out excuse (he loves racing and would hate just being in a paddock !111)I am sure The trainer could have found a spot for him and he could even put in guest appearances at various Clubs etc. .The 2 owners bare full responsibility

31 minutes ago, john legend said:

Hi everyone, this topic makes me sad and angry. lets not jazz this up .This a disgrace to the Industry. There are 2.47 million reasons why a good retirement was due an outstanding icon. A few extra dollars to race in the USA lets down all of us. I think he should have been able to retire with dignity and not be subject to the worn out excuse (he loves racing and would hate just being in a paddock !111)I am sure The trainer could have found a spot for him and he could even put in guest appearances at various Clubs etc. .The 2 owners bare full responsibility

Tend to agree, with one caveat: if the sale contains a clause that he be returned to NZ after finishing racing (as was the case, for example, with Cardigan Bay), then I see little harm in giving CM the opportunity to race under proper medication.

Unfortunately, at least one report (HRNZ website) suggests otherwise:

"Despite some word about that they would retain a share in the gelding, Purdon confirmed that wasn’t going to be the case.

'We have decided not to keep a share in him, so he’s completely sold.'

That also negates the opportunity for Christen Me to return to New Zealand following the completion of his racing days in North America with the decision on what happens post-career ultimately up to his new owners."

In other words, if his new owners don't happen to have a spare paddock and some spare cash, it's off to the abattoir.  If correct, this is, imho, not a great look.

Hi again,even if there had been a return caveat added to the sale as in the case of Cardigan Bay near 50 years ago, the sight of Christen Me struggling as he has here is like the tired old Boxer going the extra fights too many....absolute disgrace, Those that can remember Cardigan Bay who in 1963 won the Auckland Cup from 78 yards then going to America and being patched up with hocks the size of footballs to carry on to be the first horse of any breed to win $1million and finish on small tracks at 13 years old. It proved nothing even having him returned to NZ .  whilst it maybe a throw away society these days I thought people who earn huge sums from harness horses and can buy at the high end of the market, may have been a little more sensitive to the fate of what was a much loved animal .

Does anyone know what sort of dollars they got for him?

Must have spent all the winnings?

13 hours ago, john legend said:

Hi again,even if there had been a return caveat added to the sale as in the case of Cardigan Bay near 50 years ago, the sight of Christen Me struggling as he has here is like the tired old Boxer going the extra fights too many....absolute disgrace, Those that can remember Cardigan Bay who in 1963 won the Auckland Cup from 78 yards then going to America and being patched up with hocks the size of footballs to carry on to be the first horse of any breed to win $1million and finish on small tracks at 13 years old. It proved nothing even having him returned to NZ .  whilst it maybe a throw away society these days I thought people who earn huge sums from harness horses and can buy at the high end of the market, may have been a little more sensitive to the fate of what was a much loved animal .

Fair enough, and I don't really disagree.  But CM has always been a true racehorse, a horse that loves getting out on the track, imposing himself on the rest of the field, and never shirking.  Who's to say that he wouldn't prefer to keep racing for a bit longer under conditions that allow him to do so? It's a tricky one, and it certainly risks demeaning the horse, but until the evidence proves me wrong I'm prepared to give Roberts and Purdon the benefit of the doubt on this.

It's the absence of a return clause that really grates.

Hi Guys it's Christen Me here. Thought I would steal Purdons phone and reply. Apologise for some spelling mistakes, my hooves are a bit worn out. 

Lasix, can't wait, sik of blood messing up my oats . I'm sure my new Amerikan owners will look after me, I don't want for much really, after all I'm a horse for gods sake. 

Thanks for all your concerns, I didn't realise u guys were being entertained by my time on the track. Being compared to Cardy is a real acolayed , of course he didn't know any better either. 

See yah all when and if I get back. Might end up eating some nice Kentuckey Blue Grass.

So whats the difference in them selling CM to yanks and me selling a 1 win horse that has had 60 starts.I didnt see any threads about that.A horse is a horse,they are bred to race and while they still can they might as well.That like saying M.McKendry used to be our top driver but now he prob not in top 5 or 6 so he should retire.

The reality is who knows where he will end up.  Remember reading the story about the very good horse Georgetown who ended up at the knackers yard when his form fell away in the usa.Some group over there tried to save him and raised some money with the help of his aussie trainer Michael langdon but it was too late as he had already broken an elbow and had been in that condition for days apparently, as a result of the awful conditions where he was being kept pre slaughter. He had won $750,000. That's reality.

19 minutes ago, what a post said:

The reality is who knows where he will end up.  Remember reading the story about the very good horse Georgetown who ended up at the knackers yard when his form fell away in the usa.Some group over there tried to save him and raised some money with the help of his aussie trainer Michael langdon but it was too late as he had already broken an elbow and had been in that condition for days apparently, as a result of the awful conditions where he was being kept pre slaughter. He had won $750,000. That's reality.

Unfortunately that  happens to hundreds of horses every year.If we want to bet on horses we need horses to bet on,so they have to be bred and unfortunately not every horse can be homed after racing.Doesnt matter whether it won a million or a dollar.

Hi Ohokaman as was the case in the past you make perfect sense . The difference between a poor horse here with a sale perhaps of 3 to 10000 dollars is that you have lost money andasale will pos, keep your marriage together. However with certain horses eg. Cardigan Bay,Young Quinn,Terror To Love, Christen Me to see them brought down after stellar careers worth millions is simply heartbreaking.we recently found a good retirement for Branch Rickey at some cost because we thought he deserved it and he only struggled to get25000 dollars.A friend has two old horses in their 20s nearby and he still feeds them oats as they were reasonable earners and he believed in a good retirement. If Christen Me cant be respected it is a dismal state of affairs. shame on the 2 owners.

I have just listened to a replay of Mr Dalgety talking to Jess Smith last Tuesday, and there is no mention of the horse being sold, as he talked about we can race on Lasix over there.

Others might know more than me, but just wanted to point out what was mentioned.

Cheers.

Robert.

John, the phrase "brought down" in respect of Cardy and Young Quinn is a bit amiss. Cardy was pampered by the Dancers and never knocked around when he showed signs of needing a rest,between races .He was a huge draw card in the States and it was the horse that achieved greatness. I saw him at Hutt Park on his return and remember distinctly ,him pricking his ears up when comming out onto the track.He looked a million dollars even then, hardly the sign of a horse "brought down". Young Quinn not that far removed from Cardys greatness was similarily looked after and raced back here as a 12 yr old in the Auck Cup finishing 4 th. 

Animals will always be a nuisance to those with the wrong motives . Lets hope Christen Me  is looked after in the manner he so rightly deserves.

should be able to race on Lasix over here- prolong the racing career of a lot of horses - controlled by riu - administered by race course vet on the course   .christen me could  win another trillion if  that is the problem.

How many times has Christian Me beaten Provocative Prince in the last 18 months. I say this as PP won at Yonkers today in the Levy Series. Sky Major ran 2nd to last in his heat. Just think some horses adapt well to American racing better than others. Look what Auckland Reactor did there - not much but Awesome Armbro was successful.