RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
what a post

christen me

On 3/30/2017 at 6:04 PM, tim vince said:

saw pictures of him arriving safely- should do a huge job on lasix

i saw it too - on facebook

noteably the new owners have been chasing to buy him for a couple of years. Also they are into buying NZ breds . They have bought older horses in the past but looking to buy untried young ones now too.

4 hours ago, 2Piper said:

i saw it too - on facebook

noteably the new owners have been chasing to buy him for a couple of years. Also they are into buying NZ breds . They have bought older horses in the past but looking to buy untried young ones now too.

The horse will be well looked after and trained, Delaware trainer Jim King is one of the best and his step-daughter Heather Vitale is one of the most passionate supporters of harness racing around. Pity we do not have someone like her in NZ.

He can do that any day of the week but at his age can he knock 4 seconds off that- because he's going to need to if he's to make the big time over there against some pretty heavy artillery. Is he likely to run up against Sky Major?

Apart from Tim most of those posts have missed the point he was bleeding , hes going to a super trainer he will be well cared for .

what New Zealand racing should do is get with the times and introduce lasix into racing here , people talk about horses wellbeing and care yet allow them to suffer the pain of bleeding then criticise them for poor performance. 

New Zealand racing officialdom is full of decaying old dinosaurs in the way of change , all the critics here should direct their disapproval in their direction.

2 hours ago, Rjswildcard said:

Apart from Tim most of those posts have missed the point he was bleeding , hes going to a super trainer he will be well cared for .

what New Zealand racing should do is get with the times and introduce lasix into racing here , people talk about horses wellbeing and care yet allow them to suffer the pain of bleeding then criticise them for poor performance. 

New Zealand racing officialdom is full of decaying old dinosaurs in the way of change , all the critics here should direct their disapproval in their direction.

Sorry, but you have missed the point!

Lasix is currently banned in NZ.

The previous owners sold (yes their horse) Christen Me overseas because it was now a bleeder and wasn't allowed to race in NZ.

Instead of giving a dignified retirement to a horse that had been an extremely good horse and had won $2.5m they wanted more  money from him.

He was a gelding so no further value to them.

The new owner will be wanting results from Christen Me and I am sure the trainer is a super trainer.

The reality is that once Christen Me has passed his used by date, he will not get the good retirement that he fully deserves!!!!!!

As for legalising Lasix, that is another storey along with other drugs that are probably being used.

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

The reality is that once Christen Me has passed his used by date, he will not get the good retirement that he fully deserves!!!!!!

you do not know what kind of retirement he will get.  You are assuming the new owners will leave him to rot somewere?  You can not be certain of this at all

54 minutes ago, Varro said:

you do not know what kind of retirement he will get.  You are assuming the new owners will leave him to rot somewere?  You can not be certain of this at all

The new owner was not the one that Christen Me won $2.5 m for.

I am sure the new owner has raced a lot of horses.

Do you really beleive that he is prepared to pay for every horse he is owned in retirement?

Everyone will have an opinion andcthe previous owners right to do what they wanted with Christen Me.

However, personal opinion is that Christen Me more than deserved a great retirement in NZ rather than having a very uncertain future in the U.S.

8 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The new owner was not the one that Christen Me won $2.5 m for.

I am sure the new owner has raced a lot of horses.

Do you really beleive that he is prepared to pay for every horse he is owned in retirement?

Everyone will have an opinion andcthe previous owners right to do what they wanted with Christen Me.

However, personal opinion is that Christen Me more than deserved a great retirement in NZ rather than having a very uncertain future in the U.S.

i agree with the sentiment here, im just stating that you can not be certain he will get treated poorly in retirement, this is just in response to your claim that "he will not get the retirement he deserves"

On 24/03/2017 at 8:26 AM, Brodie said:

So why wasn't Christen Me sent over when he was racing well?

On the face of it , he was only sold because he is not able to race in NZ any longer and the owners were able to grab some more cash from a horse that has tried his heart out over a long time.

Personally, don't think it helps our industry at all, it taints it!

Just found out 

3 hours ago, 2Piper said:

Won on Friday night , took personal best 1:49.2 beating regular top ones in Mel Mara and Soto. Jury was out with the best interest of the horse on this site. Stop the case maybe?

Where does one find the race replay if that's possible.?. I was as a fan of Christen Me and glad to see him showing his best in the States.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:27 AM, john legend said:

Hi everyone, this topic makes me sad and angry. lets not jazz this up .This a disgrace to the Industry. There are 2.47 million reasons why a good retirement was due an outstanding icon. A few extra dollars to race in the USA lets down all of us. I think he should have been able to retire with dignity and not be subject to the worn out excuse (he loves racing and would hate just being in a paddock !111)I am sure The trainer could have found a spot for him and he could even put in guest appearances at various Clubs etc. .The 2 owners bare full responsibility

That's right this is a classic example of where the horse is treated as a commodity. The owners aren't really interested in the horse rather than what they can get out of it.

Indeed a sorry situation which I see as not uncommon in the industry. Surely when a horse does a great a job for it's owners it is entitled  to a decent retirement.

I agree this is a disgrace.

We all know Christen Me would win in USA. that proves nothing what does matter abrilliant horse nearing retirement is as Flagship says is pumped full of Furosemide to negate stress and chronic pain which leads to bleeding in the lungs. and enables the purchasers to get a few more dollars from him. Shame on the nz owners who callously sold him after making them a fortune.. This medication is necessary for every race and is listed beside christen me every time he lines up!

7 minutes ago, john legend said:

We all know Christen Me would win in USA. that proves nothing what does matter abrilliant horse nearing retirement is as Flagship says is pumped full of Furosemide to negate stress and chronic pain which leads to bleeding in the lungs. and enables the purchasers to get a few more dollars from him. Shame on the nz owners who callously sold him after making them a fortune.. This medication is necessary for every race and is listed beside christen me every time he lines up!

This indicates they are only interested in money and not the welfare and best interests of the horse. Fully agree shame on the owners!

Hi Tim , I have studied lasix/salix/furosemide on the net as best I can and most experts come to the   conclusion that whilst stress plays a big part there are ma ny reasons including chronic pain. 1 that I can quote is Dr Brian Stewart, head of equine welfare racing victoria "it is in my opinion that horsesre overstressedor in chronic pain are more likely to suffer EIPH (exercise induced Pulmonary haemouraging) This was in a case against Chris Waller where he was fined $30000. In the Usa they consider this condition of minor inconvenience (which most other countries disagree) There seems to be  an idea that lasix in USA be given to all racing horses and some fields all horses have it.

To add a little more from Google it appears that Usa trainers discovered horses improved their times when lasix was approved in some instances. So naturally they used it whether blood had appeared in nostrils or not.However further analysis indicated that lasix made a horse urinate to a large degree before a race and it may be that which improved performance (less weight to carry). I know in Nz /Australia/USA when anything new is added to horses feed or gear or indeed medicines. If successful and approved  then virtually every trainer likes to try it. eg removable deafeners/nasal strips/ and eventually noone is gaining or losing.

On 13/12/2017 at 11:50 AM, john legend said:

13 out of 100 starters at Yonkers tomorrow dont use lasix. Seems to be more the norm in the US to use it.  Please explain why it is bad ? 

Ps . Retiremement age is 65 but I can say I would be most likely be on some sort of medication before then . However I would still be expected to work and not be a " dole bludger". Lifes not fair at times.