RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
final luca

mataura garden beds

a year or so ago gore district council tried sand bags out side some houses as a way to stop speeding.. they took those away because of locals rejecting the project..

they sent a notice in the letter box that garden beds would soon be placed at different spots along main st, Mataura as part of a beautification project and an attempt to stop speeding...

last week we had one of these garden beds placed out side our house, we were not asked if we would like it, and having only within the last 10 months brought the house have never been advised this was to happen.. council claims it was in the ensign and there was a local meeting about this..

also to be placed soon are speed humps...  the garden beds are 3 meters out from the curb. and the speed humps are going between the curb and the garden beds.. to my knowledge since we have lived there, no one has speed along that part of the road.. on the actual highway  , yes, all day every day...I've even had a speeding ticket recently, 55 k in a 50 k area.. $30 fine.. my bad.  but this garden bed.. mmmmm is massive, and our house has 2 driveways... one is in every day use, the other , leads to another entrance to our garage, I am in the middle of removing trees etc and have not used that drive but it is  something that will be happening  in a month or two... the garden bed completely cover the access to the drive coming south... wife rang council and asked the question and they were coming out to see her, rang half hour later and couldn't make it, she has rang them and no reply...better for them to deal with her (soft) than with me... i'd rip their hearts out... lol.not many residents are happy about these garden beds .. council has just over ridden what the rate payers in main street are saying and gone ahead with the project.. next door neighbour attended meeting and told wfe on weekend not many people attended it.. most were from council or lived in streets not effected  by these garden beds.. it seems it was placed in the  ensign,  in small print  .hidden away  were unless you read full article you missed it...and most likely on another page.

for those of you that live down this way  you may have sighted these garden beds .. what do you guys think.. over reaction or are they hideous...and blocking the drive...  council bloke arrives in small council car, reversed car into 2nd driveway, with great trouble. drives out, drives off.. could not see the problem..

i'm hopeless at reversing trailers, so I see a problem for me.. fella  over the road drives milk tankers/trucks. parked inside the 3 meter  zone, when  he went to drive off ran over garden bed. watched this morning the rubbish pick up.. tight but he managed it .. once speed humps go in could be different...

for me.. these garden beds are a complete waste of rate payer money. and if they want to beautify Mataura, they would be better off bulldozing the whole town.

Speed humps are a f......g curse.They certainly slow people down and then they accelerate away causing more problems so all night all you hear are engines reving at a high pitch.

Some drivers get cute and drive on the berm to avoid getting their lowered cars arse ripped out of them.

news link had an article in it last night along with pictures of these hideous garden beds..today they have started to lay foundations for the speed bumps... god help us... also after last nights article I rang rachael Kelly the young lady that did the article, she is going to come see our side of things on Monday.. she was told we were all happy/delighted with the garden beds etc  and she had no idea that one is placed over our drive.. makes good reading... I do not like politics local body or central government and think our rights have been totally tossed down the dunny by council and Mataura community board. Inexcusable...  I will fight them on the beaches, etc,etc... :)