RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Watch out Trentham

It makes sense because the value of the land down in Surrey being so close to London is so valuable. 

Transferring their iconic races to Sandown and building an all weather track at Newmarket were the greatest number of horses are trained all adds up. 

Trentham? I don't think so as the land isn't worth much. 

Ellerslie or to a far lessor degree Avondale offer a much better opportunity to replicate what they are about to do at Kempton Park.

With the Auckland housing market the way it is, emigration into Auckland at an all time high now is the perfect time to act as I can see so many similarities between what they are doing and what we could do  

What do you thing Master? (OP)

21 minutes ago, Insider said:

It makes sense because the value of the land down in Surrey being so close to London is so valuable. 

Transferring their iconic races to Sandown and building an all weather track at Newmarket were the greatest number of horses are trained all adds up. 

Trentham? I don't think so as the land isn't worth much. 

Ellerslie or to a far lessor degree Avondale offer a much better opportunity to replicate what they are about to do at Kempton Park.

With the Auckland housing market the way it is, emigration into Auckland at an all time high now is the perfect time to act as I can see so many similarities between what they are doing and what we could do  

What do you thing Master? (OP)

Have to agree Insider. Probably not worth selling Trentham. Maybe just give away the liability. Ellerslie though is prime for a Kempton Park style sale with the proceeds used for a new Pakenham style facility somewhere in the country where the swamp has already been drained.

Ellerslie has proved that they are a competitive, profitable, and high performing entity, so let's agree that we won't be looking to cash them up any time soon.

Avondale is the best racing surface in Auckland, and it's zoned "green belt" so the council won't consent to doing anything other than that for which it is designated, racing and sports,

Awapuni, Otaki and Trentham are all bleeding arteries for the industry, and if we cashed all three up we could spend the proceeds on building decent facilities at Foxton, where they have a very nice track, and a new facility at Paraparaumu ( is that how you spell it ? ).

We'd have a decent lump of cash left over after selling the three swamps so we could maybe build a polytechnic, and a golf course too, plus we'd have $$$$ in the bank, and we could give that cash either to NZTR for their staff travel fund, waste it on stakes, or build an old people's home and put the fucking codgers who've ruined Trentham, and the Member's Council, in that home, behind bars, where they can dribble out of every orifice, talk in riddles, and do no further damage to the industry.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Ellerslie has proved that they are a competitive, profitable, and high performing entity, so let's agree that we won't be looking to cash them up any time soon.

Avondale is the best racing surface in Auckland, and it's zoned "green belt" so the council won't consent to doing anything other than that for which it is designated, racing and sports,

Awapuni, Otaki and Trentham are all bleeding arteries for the industry, and if we cashed all three up we could spend the proceeds on building decent facilities at Foxton, where they have a very nice track, and a new facility at Paraparaumu ( is that how you spell it ? ).

We'd have a decent lump of cash left over after selling the three swamps so we could maybe build a polytechnic, and a golf course too, plus we'd have $$$$ in the bank, and we could give that cash either to NZTR for their staff travel fund, waste it on stakes, or build an old people's home and put the fucking codgers who've ruined Trentham, and the Member's Council, in that home, behind bars, where they can dribble out of every orifice, talk in riddles, and do no further damage to the industry.

Common sense, Yes! for the above ...... but I have yet to see any of that from NZTR. 

The Anniversary now SW&P , which the Thorndon is now also, The Cup has went from a G1 2 mile race , reverted to 2400m and is now a G3 3200m (this year more like a rating 85).

Have messed with all the dates, pretty much no longer a training establishment, a lot has changed!

its sad that the capital of our country does no longer have a harness or greyhound track, and the way things are going the galloping track might as well go as well.

there are only a handful of horses trained there and going by last weeks crowd no one is interested in racing in the capital city anymore which is a shame, the way the track turns to mud and the size of the winter fields is testament to the fact that it's not much of a long term racing proposition more much longer surely?

13 hours ago, Phar Lap Fan said:

The mishandling of the Trentham Stakes is an example of mediocrity rules. The late Jack Glengarry proposed that this race should be our 'Arc de Triomphe - w.f.a. over 2,400 metres, worthy of Group1. Never going to happen now.

To be fair to the club they did boost the stake for a few years to try and enhance that race but it made no difference to the fields, in fact they were much smaller than today's and  quite poor quality. We just don't have class horses for WFA races anymore, and we don't have genuine staying WFA horses.

The actual stake makes very little difference to many trainers, just look at the seven starters in the $30,000 rating 75, 1,600m today. An $8,000 race for the same class at Waipukurau would get more starters

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

To be fair to the club they did boost the stake for a few years to try and enhance that race but it made no difference to the fields, in fact they were much smaller than today's and  quite poor quality. We just don't have class horses for WFA races anymore, and we don't have genuine staying WFA horses.

The actual stake makes very little difference to many trainers, just look at the seven starters in the $30,000 rating 75, 1,600m today. An $8,000 race for the same class at Waipukurau would get more starters

Volk Stock n Barrel not good enough for you ?

Who Knows, Wellington is only the Capital because the wise heads moved the Parliament from Auckland to Wellington, in order to have the Govt situated closer to the centre of NZ. In much the same way as Toyota situated their Head Office in Palmerston North because that is, geographically, closer to the centre of NZ. Strange moves sure. I think Trentham would be worth a lot more than people think as a land parcel. I'm no property developer but one would think that being right next to a railway line, you could build a magnificent housing and recreational area on the land. 

A big and successful day at Trentham is when racegoers outnumber the security staff. It doesn't happen often.

The harsh and sad reality Trump is that it's been driven into the ground over the years by indifference and a lack of intellectual or monetary investment.

It's like a Siberian gulag now, and only the lonely or the informed attend ( that's the committee ) other than the odd drug addict or petty criminal who find themselves at a loose end and have a choice between loitering around the wharves selling themselves to sailors, or going to Trentham. Trentham wins narrowly, but only on a nice day.

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Gee those aerial shots down the straight aren't doing much for you are they..??

The crowd looks very sparse for a Premier Day.....Racing on the up clearly....:rolleyes:

I think Trentham must be closed to the public today, more were at Matamata yesterday.

I wonder if those vultures are on course today trying to set up the bar staff? No of course they won't they will be trying again for an easy kill on Trenthams one and only big day crowd wise . 

I find it so boring when you have a big spacious track like Trentham and nothing has really been able to win from too far back, and any more than about 3 off the rail, anything making decent ground today has to be followed in its next few starts I think, including Wyndspelle which made a bit up in the worst of the track out wide.

52 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I find it so boring when you have a big spacious track like Trentham and nothing has really been able to win from too far back, and any more than about 3 off the rail, anything making decent ground today has to be followed in its next few starts I think, including Wyndspelle which made a bit up in the worst of the track out wide.

If a horse like Wyndspelle chooses to race from the back it can hardly expect the leaders to stop and wait for him to catch up in the straight.

Montoya Star had no trouble coming from the back.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

I think Trentham must be closed to the public today, more were at Matamata yesterday.

The Matamata attendees must have all been pensioners based on what they bet. 

On Friday (NZTR Newsletter) compare the two on course turnovers and comment please. 

No need to compare Insider, from what I saw its time to forget racing at Trentham if that's all the crowd that can be mustered for the quality of racing on offer.

It did look windy, but in Wellington that's only a tiny breeze so no excuse. 

14 minutes ago, Insider said:

The Matamata attendees must have all been pensioners based on what they bet. 

On Friday (NZTR Newsletter) compare the two on course turnovers and comment please. 

Was the committee room at the swamp chokka block today Liz ?

What vintage was the port ? and the stilton, English or a cheap imitation ?

4 hours ago, Midget said:

Was the committee room at the swamp chokka block today Liz ?

What vintage was the port ? and the stilton, English or a cheap imitation ?

Ask a sensible question and you might get a sensible answer. 

Anyway the track played perfectly today. The best horses won and the won from anywhere. 

(God knows what WhoKnows was watching.) 

Winners were easy to find. The genuine race goers who were there seemed to be enjoying themselves but I have to say that crowd numbers were less than satisfactory. 

Are the Wellingtonians still out of town on holiday? Was the day promoted effectively, especially as it's a week earlier than it has ever been in the past? Is transferring the Telegraph Hcp to Cup Day the reason?

What I will say is that the Chief Excutive needs to be based in Wellington, not Palmerston North otherwise what use is he?