RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
redpeterVersion2

When is a runner unlucky?

Who is the guy on Trackside today? He kept referring to Collection as having been unlucky on the first day. Was he unlucky to have a soft lead and be run down by a horse who was better on the day? Answer: NO. He wasn't good enough. Now today he took a trail and burst home strongly with an advantage gained on the turn and got his overdue win. 3 out of 3 for Jay Abernathy today and a live chance in the 4th race as well. 

My point is if your selection is wide throughout and just goes under or you get a nice trip and never get clear or Matt Anderson is driving then you can feel a little agrieved but if you get every chance and still lose then, in my eyes, you are not unlucky.

Just as an aside I would say Ben Butcher must have been happy placing on Stars Delight as he didn't seem overly worried when he let Collection get an important wee break on him round the bend. Just my opinion.

I also wish Jason Teaz would just stick to commentating instead of tipping.

He tipped Snow Raker as an absolute certainty and was going on about how $2.20 was value (lol) it finished dead last, then he tips his own horse, Washingtons Chance as a good value bet (you would think he knew something about his own horse), and after a good run it was down to a walk on the line also finishing last!

He is doing a good job commentating, but I suggest he just stick to that.

2 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

I also wish Jason Teaz would just stick to commentating instead of tipping.

He tipped Snow Raker as an absolute certainty and was going on about how $2.20 was value (lol) it finished dead last, then he tips his own horse, Washingtons Chance as a good value bet (you would think he knew something about his own horse), and after a good run it was down to a walk on the line also finishing last!

He is doing a good job commentating, but I suggest he just stick to that.

It's part of his job to tip them. Perhaps turn the sound off until the race. Or just oppose his tips and thank him for making your prices longer?

Didn't back Collection on first day when fav as although his form was improving the race when i backed him at Manawatu he failed to make ground from the trail. Put the first and third horses in the Px6. His win came in a very weak field. will struggle mainly a grade up.

I think WhoKnows' comment (and I could be wrong) is a general frustration about race callers and Trackside presenters invariably tipping nearly half the field, and then dining out for a month on the $2k First 4 you'd have got if you boxed up their first 7 selections, or their 4th selection that rolled him as a $12 "roughie" in Race 9 two weeks ago at Methven.  

Appreciate that their job is to generate turnover and stimulate betting interest, but would be great if we got a recap once a week on how much you'd have collected vs spent if you'd had $1 e/w on all of their tips for the meeting.  

Don't take it personally, Jase.

1 hour ago, Racing84 said:

Appreciate that their job is to generate turnover and stimulate betting interest, but would be great if we got a recap once a week on how much you'd have collected vs spent if you'd had $1 e/w on all of their tips for the meeting.  

Don't know about the others, but if you applied that theory with Greg O'Connor and Mark McNamara I reckon you would pick up a pretty tidy profit. Especially from Greg, he finds the winner in his four selections more often than not I've noticed. Especially around the country tracks of Canterbury like Rangiora, Banks Peninsula, Methven etc.... 

On 1/8/2017 at 1:56 PM, redpeterVersion2 said:

My point is if your selection is wide throughout and just goes under or you get a nice trip and never get clear or Matt Anderson is driving then you can feel a little agrieved but if you get every chance and still lose then, in my eyes, you are not unlucky.

Matt Anderson lol.

You wouldn't be holding a grudge, would you?

I looked this up in the Rules and found the following:

"A runner is unlucky when an event beyond the control of that runner or its driver materially affects that runner's ability to perform to its best ability. However, if the said event was, before the race began, reasonably foreseeable by a reasonable investor, then the runner cannot be said to be unlucky."