RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Purcell WTF

I learned today that our CEO is off on 3 weeks leave as of tomorrow back on the 9th January.

Well Greg it is past the time of being nice to you,in my opinion you are without QUESTION the worse CEO our industry has the pain to endure.

There is a funeral on Friday at Gore TO FAREWELL Rebecca Black.

I will be completely gutted if you cannot fly down to Gore and represent NZTR at the funeral.You can fly Internationally to Paris,Australia,Mongolia and Hong Kong AT OUR COST and yet i am advised that you will be on 3 weeks holiday from tomorrow,so I believe  that this is bullshit,you said on National Television about safety vest helmets etc,you had NOTHING to do with the introductions of these measures and yet your holiday takes precedence over your presences at this ladies farewell,you are an embarrassment as our CEO.

You told ME at my hearing that there never has been an issue at Awapuni,even after it was pointing out that a steward would not operate with the rail out more than 8m and yet another horse almost did the same last week.I was going to ask what was your limp wristed reply was,but i know as an nonperforming CEO just do another report and it will disappear,just like the last 20 reports you have has done to cover your arse. and makes you look like you are in control.

You are a plastic cutout of a CEO,YOU HAVE WASTED INDUSTRY MONEY ON JUNKETS,and yet i have never read a report from you to say what was achieved on these junkets.

Sorry you came back with the catch cry Best Practice that sounds impressive,but the Industry knows like you should,this another wasted cliche that you use to make you look like you know what you are doing,which we all  know this is more crap that you believe will appease us.

You know if you lose your position at NZTR,you would be unemployable in Australia,hence why you came here,even after falsifying  your CV saying you raced 90 horses and was the leading Country bookmaker for 12 years,

I am over you and do the honorable thing and resign before you are pushed and you may even leave NZ with a small amount of creditably,as of today in my view you have NONE AND SURELY IS TIME FOR THAT SONG HOMEWARD BOUND.

Agree he is totally delusional and to not turn up at that funeral is a disgrace.

His mumblings of going forward, we will get an independant report and now best practice to which he doesnt understand what it means surely someone high up can see what a fraud he is.

59 minutes ago, Robert Best said:

Agree he is totally delusional and to not turn up at that funeral is a disgrace.

His mumblings of going forward, we will get an independant report and now best practice to which he doesnt understand what it means surely someone high up can see what a fraud he is.

There is no-one "higher up" than the grassroots, they have the power but choose not to use it?

Delusional? Will he be at the meeting re Awapuni this morning to explain away last year's comments too?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/racing/news/article.cfm?c_id=53&objectid=11770584&ref=rss

August 2015

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing chief executive Greg Purcell on Saturday took issue with the safety claims and said a substantial amount of irrigation and drainage work had been done in recent years on the vast majority of the major racetracks.

"I am unaware of any safety issues at any racecourses in New Zealand and if these jockeys have a problem they should come and talk to me about it."

Purcell said the problem at Awapuni, where January's incident occurred, was being fixed.

A new inside bend, with a 3 per cent camber, had been constructed at a cost of $280,000 which was being seeded. It was hoped it would be ready to use after November. NZTR had funded half the work and loaned the club the remainder.

When the new surface was ready, the old outer track would be completely recambered. Awapuni had had a number of issues, he said, including a mixture of soils which did and didn't absorb water.

Purcell said NZTR was totally committed to safety at every racetrack and racing would not take place at venues considered unsafe.

Touche and Rosie Myers are lucky not to fall as they slip badly on the home turn at Awapuni

8 hours ago, gubellini said:

Midget the irony is that Greg Purcell actually believes he is doing a good job as CEO of NZTR. His delusions know no bounds. He is visiting his Mum in Australia on his leave. I hope she has made plenty of fig jam to put on his toast.

Obviously the NZTR board must think the same way. They are just as bad if not worse IMHO

Wouldn't best practice be to employ a very good ex jockey like D M Walsh to make these decisions on tracks instead of some flabby suits who're hardly capable of climbing into a golf cart, and who've never ridden ?

I admire the courage of the RIU here though, Neil Godwin made a stand a long time ago on Awaouni, Ross Neal was totally against marginal tracks, and I think it'd be fair to say the entire RIU organization is cognisant of jockey and horse safety and welfare, and intolerant of the attitude that prevails, that "they're only jockeys and it doesn't matter " or "we've always sent them out no matter the state of the track so let's keep doing it ".

He certainly wasn't gutless, he was just wise enough to know the club's and officials couldn't be trusted to provide a safe track, and he wanted to go home to his family at night.

That's sensible and legally compliant.

Walshy will have ridden with at least a dozen jockeys who've died on and off the racetrack, he's lost a lot of friends, most of them died in the South Island too. I think he's exactly the right person to assess every track with that experience.

As an aside how many people have died eating pies ?

Where does Nathan Guy sit ? obviously not on the turn @ Awapuni, and, maybe not there for much longer...BUT

are Greg Purcell and NZRB accountable to him?...Or is he removed from all this, and off on a well deserved Christmas break also...(Tui Billboard Stuff). 

6 hours ago, Midget said:

He certainly wasn't gutless, he was just wise enough to know the club's and officials couldn't be trusted to provide a safe track, and he wanted to go home to his family at night.

Walshy will have ridden with at least a dozen jockeys who've died on and off the racetrack, he's lost a lot of friends, most of them died in the South Island too. I think he's exactly the right person to assess every track with that experience.

... that old bias barrow , Walshy I mean

31 minutes ago, Contentious said:

what other industry would tolerate or allow a CEO to take 3 weeks leave when the wheels are falling off that industry?????

Firstly, almost every industry I know is allowing it to happen in 2 days time & secondly whether CEO's are incompetent or not they are entitled to a break. Should he be deemed incompetent they its more a reflection on his employer rather than himself. 

Now don't get me wrong if he is not in Gore on Friday then that is totally deplorable & the reprimand he should receive should be of the highest order.  

22 hours ago, Midget said:

I learned today that our CEO is off on 3 weeks leave as of tomorrow back on the 9th January.

Well Greg it is past the time of being nice to you,in my opinion you are without QUESTION the worse CEO our industry has the pain to endure.

There is a funeral on Friday at Gore TO FAREWELL Rebecca Black.

I will be completely gutted if you cannot fly down to Gore and represent NZTR at the funeral.You can fly Internationally to Paris,Australia,Mongolia and Hong Kong AT OUR COST and yet i am advised that you will be on 3 weeks holiday from tomorrow,so I believe  that this is bullshit,you said on National Television about safety vest helmets etc,you had NOTHING to do with the introductions of these measures and yet your holiday takes precedence over your presences at this ladies farewell,you are an embarrassment as our CEO.

You told ME at my hearing that there never has been an issue at Awapuni,even after it was pointing out that a steward would not operate with the rail out more than 8m and yet another horse almost did the same last week.I was going to ask what was your limp wristed reply was,but i know as an nonperforming CEO just do another report and it will disappear,just like the last 20 reports you have has done to cover your arse. and makes you look like you are in control.

You are a plastic cutout of a CEO,YOU HAVE WASTED INDUSTRY MONEY ON JUNKETS,and yet i have never read a report from you to say what was achieved on these junkets.

Sorry you came back with the catch cry Best Practice that sounds impressive,but the Industry knows like you should,this another wasted cliche that you use to make you look like you know what you are doing,which we all  know this is more crap that you believe will appease us.

You know if you lose your position at NZTR,you would be unemployable in Australia,hence why you came here,even after falsifying  your CV saying you raced 90 horses and was the leading Country bookmaker for 12 years,

I am over you and do the honorable thing and resign before you are pushed and you may even leave NZ with a small amount of creditably,as of today in my view you have NONE AND SURELY IS TIME FOR THAT SONG HOMEWARD BOUND.

Midget, I know this may sound a bit naïve ,but having the industry I am involved in being in complete disarray for various reasons, I am sometimes so pissed off I feel like logging all the negatives and going to one of the major papers and blowing it open, given the opportunity and the ears.  Being a harness nut, and having a monetary interest in horses, I still have an invested interest in the Thoroughbred Industry through my son in law, and having followed them since the 1960,s. It does sadden me somewhat to see the state of affairs.

Is there not some way that those fears and concerns that are expressed on here be taken to a media outlet or are they deaf to our concerns.?

The problem there Globe is today's news being tomorrows chip wrapper.  No longevity.

TV would get it out to more people but its getting in there. Hamish at TV3 has gone but they are still the most likely outlet.

I've said before that until those putting on the show, stop the show, things ain't going to change.

The stock response to that will be "well, they are only hurting the industry and reducing the returns to it..."

Could it hurt anymore, really...?? And they are wasting the money anyway...so what's to lose...??

GD, My Mrs, she of wisdom and gumboots and a countryman/woman of our esteemed leader, has told me it needs to get worse before it gets better? How much worse I've argued, heaps she says, where to point the finger in anger? your comments about the press are pure common sense, a strong independent media is like the Taniwhai here, something of legend, but no one has seen it. The journo north of the Bombay's has 'come out' so to speak, if he only keeps going before someone silences him [like Ken Callender] who had the guts to walk after censorship, then there is a semblance of a chance. We lose your Son In Law to Oz, then the Rapa's rooted!

1 hour ago, biff said:

GD, My Mrs, she of wisdom and gumboots and a countryman/woman of our esteemed leader, has told me it needs to get worse before it gets better? How much worse I've argued, heaps she says, where to point the finger in anger? your comments about the press are pure common sense, a strong independent media is like the Taniwhai here, something of legend, but no one has seen it. The journo north of the Bombay's has 'come out' so to speak, if he only keeps going before someone silences him [like Ken Callender] who had the guts to walk after censorship, then there is a semblance of a chance. We lose your Son In Law to Oz, then the Rapa's rooted!

Being so close to the action ,what worries  me Biff is that those that finance the setup will give up and move to Aus. And that is not that far off given the present situation, which leaves someone out of a job so to speak and back to trading. These poor bastards put their heart and soul and enormous amounts of time into their horses , I have seen it first hand.

What an absolute tragedy

14 hours ago, Leggy said:

Nah, Walshie was gutless. Sometimes wouldn't even take a ride in the first until the other crash test dummies had been around and he knew the track was safe.

What a stupid comment.  Intelligent , hardworking , stickler for everything in its place and a place for everything,  attention to detail are a few of Davids traits that come to mind but gutless is not one of them . S.L 

14 hours ago, Midget said:

Not enough need more grisle in them