RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Taranaki Racing

I went along yesterday to watch a couple of my horses run, I think I have mentioned this before on here that Pukekura Park is one of the nicest race tracks. Easily sits in my top 2 of races tracks across the country.

Bouquet.

1) Decent sized crowd and lively atmosphere, other clubs should work out what they do right at this venue to get people along.

2) Facilities are clean, tidy and comfortable.

3) Owners are treated very well and all the TRC team are pleasant and willing to help.

4) The number of TV screens is superior to most other venues and the viewing of the track is excellent.

Bricbat.

1) The food from the cafe leaves a lot to be desired, almost uneatable and selection the pits. It was about what you would have seen in a coffee house in the 1970's.

2) Everything about the after race treatment for owners was superb apart from again the food, I don't know who is advising them but I have never see a hard boiled egg cut in half served before to owners.  Much more appropriate is either Cheese/Crackers, little pies, or club sandwiches.

I do wish clubs would take seriously the catering, it is so off putting going to a days races and having to try and eat something that was made so long ago or is barely able to be distinguished as something you can eat.

This is what the selection was:

1) Pies.

2) Sandwiches - Pork, Ham or Egg  (No Chicken, No Beef etc)

3) A Chocolate slice that looked a week old & was all broken, & 2 cakes (1 of which was out of the freezer & stale)

4) Chips which run out early & were back later after 2pm.

Hardly decent fare for what was a very large crowd.

14 minutes ago, turny said:

The fare is pretty hopeless on all courses 

The other code appear to do it better.  Always found Alexandra Park much better than Ellersie and Addington is way better than Riccarton.

One year at Ellerslie on Easter Handicap day there was a guy selling hot dogs (not even very good ones) and he ran out of buns and sausages after about the third race.  I think it was the only edible thing for sale on course apart from hot chips.  Couldn't believe he didn't run down to Countdown and get some more buns and sausages.  He would have made a killing.that day.  Instead he just sat there trying to sell off bags of crisps and other things he had in his van.

2 hours ago, Bimbo said:

The other code appear to do it better.  Always found Alexandra Park much better than Ellersie and Addington is way better than Riccarton.

One year at Ellerslie on Easter Handicap day there was a guy selling hot dogs (not even very good ones) and he ran out of buns and sausages after about the third race.  I think it was the only edible thing for sale on course apart from hot chips.  Couldn't believe he didn't run down to Countdown and get some more buns and sausages.  He would have made a killing.that day.  Instead he just sat there trying to sell off bags of crisps and other things he had in his van.

Unbelievable! There were probably only 12 punters on-course, but I'm guessing his supplies were severely depleted by the previous Racing manager. Overall I agree the fare is patchy around the courses but have always found the Polo Bar grub at Ellerslie good, Te Aroha, Te Rapa, Counties all very acceptable but Matamata and Tauranga marginal at best.

Agree re Timaru Barryb - last time I was there they had whitebait fritters in the public stand !

Weird that catering doesn't get more attention isn't it. The selection of red wines at most racecourses (or lack thereof) always surprises me. Usually just 2 bottles of cheap red available.....