RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Black Kirrama

Tom Wood's Kranji race call tonight.

Tom Wood's  huge future was assured as a NZ race caller tonight

He was invited to call at Kranji.

He has   endorsed our faith and beliefs tonight with his calling  a resticted Maiden event.

Terrific call,by Tom, with the Laurie  Laxon trained Dicaprio and Oscar racing winning the race !!

Tom  follows in the foot steps of Tony Lee, George Simon,Micheal Knight and Bruce Sherwin

in calling Asian races early in their careers.

Rev

Well one poster who was removed from here gave him hell last week on another site.... I hope he gets the gig there as he is under utilized here in NZ and is one of the best commentators in the country.... the guy is only 26.... how good will he be in a few years...great call for first time there... but some just know everything...and will pull him to bits on a day he makes some imaginary mistake to the grandstand experts....yeah right!!!!

Good on you Tom stick it up them.

6 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Well one poster who was removed from here gave him hell last week on another site.... I hope he gets the gig there as he is under utilized here in NZ and is one of the best commentators in the country.... the guy is only 26.... how good will he be in a few years...great call for first time there... but some just know everything...and will pull him to bits on a day he makes some imaginary mistake to the grandstand experts....yeah right!!!!

Good on you Tom stick it up them.

Good news that you removed him and its probably the right home for him based on his posts.

Also, well done to Tom on his call. You don't get invited there in any capacity unless you know what you are doing.

As much as I hate to rain on the parade of the Tom Wood fan club, I would like to present a slightly different opinion and perspective if I may.

I don't have Trackside where I live so I have to rely on Radio Trackside for my racecalls and I find Tom Wood's calls frustrating in the extreme. Good commentators paint a picture of a race so without seeing it you have a pretty good idea of where each runner has settled. And into the straight they will mention the leaders and then which runners are running on and then gradually building to the climax of the race culminating in the finish.

They will also use the tone of their voice to let listeners know once the winner of the race becomes obvious, so punters know at that moment whether they have won or lost.

I find Wood's calls more hype than information. At the start he ALWAYS says "off to a perfect dispatch" even when the stipes report later reveals two or three runners have missed the start or have been impeded. But it's really down the straight that I find listening to him most frustrating. He will list the horses in contention culminating in shouting two or three names back and forth until he either shouts the winner's name or more often than not "Not sure!"

As I say I am speaking from the perspective of someone who is only able to listen on radio, and on this basis I find him very frustrating. He's not very accurate either, although maybe this is something which he will get better at in time. 

Maybe he is fantastic if you can see with your own eyes what is happening in the race. But the top race callers don't need that as they paint a picture with their words. And I'm sure if the Race Cafe Hall of Famers who have posted on this thread try listening to his calls without pictures (and with a vested interest in the race) they will see what I mean.

3 hours ago, Phantom said:

As much as I hate to rain on the parade of the Tom Wood fan club, I would like to present a slightly different opinion and perspective if I may.

I don't have Trackside where I live so I have to rely on Radio Trackside for my racecalls and I find Tom Wood's calls frustrating in the extreme. Good commentators paint a picture of a race so without seeing it you have a pretty good idea of where each runner has settled. And into the straight they will mention the leaders and then which runners are running on and then gradually building to the climax of the race culminating in the finish.

They will also use the tone of their voice to let listeners know once the winner of the race becomes obvious, so punters know at that moment whether they have won or lost.

I find Wood's calls more hype than information. At the start he ALWAYS says "off to a perfect dispatch" even when the stipes report later reveals two or three runners have missed the start or have been impeded. But it's really down the straight that I find listening to him most frustrating. He will list the horses in contention culminating in shouting two or three names back and forth until he either shouts the winner's name or more often than not "Not sure!"

As I say I am speaking from the perspective of someone who is only able to listen on radio, and on this basis I find him very frustrating. He's not very accurate either, although maybe this is something which he will get better at in time. 

Maybe he is fantastic if you can see with your own eyes what is happening in the race. But the top race callers don't need that as they paint a picture with their words. And I'm sure if the Race Cafe Hall of Famers who have posted on this thread try listening to his calls without pictures (and with a vested interest in the race) they will see what I mean.

As I said there is always one expert wanting to take pot shots at a young and up and coming caller... were you perfect when you started your chosen profession???

Attn: John Allen,

I know that the CEO shouldn't interfere, but in this instance take some advise and pull rank.

If Tom does go to Singapore, (good on him if he does) do everything in your power to encourage Tony Lee back to the fold. 

You will be a hero and the great unwashed might finally start believing in you. 

Liz

36 minutes ago, turny said:

How the hell can we let TW go - what the hell is going on - the industry is stuffed on more level than I credited - what a waste - invest in tomorrow and TW would be an obvious - I am shocked

The experience of calling in Singapore is a terrific opportunity for Tom, one incidentally, that George Simon took earlier in his career.