RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Black Kirrama

Tom Wood's Kranji race call tonight.

I did predicted on a thread a month ago he may look at other opportunities, can't blame him with sum international experience and bit of travel thrown in, at the end of the day he has to look after number one, good luck to him. Can recall early on him doing some of the west coast circuit, done a good job too.

18 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Does anyone know how long Tom has been banned from calling any meeting with a group race in the CD?

He hasn't. I believe George Simon has the contract for the Premier Meetings but Tom has called Group races outside the Premier dates. The G3 Merial Mile was called by Tom from memory.  

23 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

He hasn't. I believe George Simon has the contract for the Premier Meetings but Tom has called Group races outside the Premier dates. The G3 Merial Mile was called by Tom from memory.  

Ridiculous, if he is good enough to call the races he should be good enough to call all...no disrespect to George, but why would you not be encouraging young guys to come though... how big a kick in the guts is it to be told oh you can only call these meetings someone else is calling the big days.

Yes if I was Tom i would surely be looking to find a position where i was appreciated all of the time, I really hope he gets the Singapore gig, he has a bloody good future as a caller.

13 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Ridiculous, if he is good enough to call the races he should be good enough to call all...no disrespect to George, but why would you not be encouraging young guys to come though... how big a kick in the guts is it to be told oh you can only call these meetings someone else is calling the big days.

Yes if I was Tom i would surely be looking to find a position where i was appreciated all of the time, I really hope he gets the Singapore gig, he has a bloody good future as a caller.

I agree totally. Obviously George will do all the big meetings this season. Who knows for how long that might go on, so who can blame Tom for leaving. Of course ironically as soon as he makes a name for himself overseas whoever is responsible for this in NZ will suddenly think he is worth keeping.

What would people in Canterbury think if George had been called down to do Cup Week when Mark Mac first turned up.

Does anyone know who makes these decisions? Was it the CD clubs, the NZRB, TAB, someone else?? What would happen if say Manawatu decided they would like Tom to do their Group 1 days.

Afterall, George is hardly popping down to call the Melbourne Cup. They are just inflated NZ Group races.

On 9/24/2016 at 2:15 AM, scooby3051 said:

As I said there is always one expert wanting to take pot shots at a young and up and coming caller... were you perfect when you started your chosen profession???

I never said I was an expert, Scooby. And no, I'm far from perfect at my chosen profession after doing it for 20 years! (Just better than the retards in Petone). It is just one's man opinion, nothing personal. 

At the moment I think he's just ordinary - no doubt he'll become a lot better.

Far too many times the commentary starts with "nice level line away"  - you can see a couple slow/dwell - so if you are listening on the radio it's obviously incorrect.

This is backed up no end by many stewards reports - this is just IMHO.

22 hours ago, Phantom said:

I never said I was an expert, Scooby. And no, I'm far from perfect at my chosen profession after doing it for 20 years! (Just better than the retards in Petone). It is just one's man opinion, nothing personal. 

Here are some obvious facts.

Tom Wood is NOT just starting out. He has been  well entrenched as a racecaller for some time. He won't lose any sleep doesn't matter what criticsm comes from social media. However in amongst every bit of talk, discussion or criticsm there could well be some useful advice.

On the otherhand there are always the do gooders who like to get on the bandwagon and misconstrue diligent posters's intentions 

1 hour ago, Diver Dan said:

At the moment I think he's just ordinary - no doubt he'll become a lot better.

Far too many times the commentary starts with "nice level line away"  - you can see a couple slow/dwell - so if you are listening on the radio it's obviously incorrect.

This is backed up no end by many stewards reports - this is just IMHO.

Did not hear any of that at Woodville last week when I watched the replays the other day. Maybe Tom took note of your HO Diver Dan or maybe not as well.

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

You look like another one of Scooby's punching bags. You put together a well thought out piece in contrast to some other one or two line contributors which Scooby seems Ok with.

Here are some obvious facts.

Tom Wood is NOT just starting out. He has been  well entrenched as a racecaller for some time. He won't lose any sleep doesn't matter what criticsm comes from social media. However in amongst every bit of talk, discussion or criticsm there could well be some useful advice.

On the otherhand there are always the do gooders who like to get on the bandwagon and misconstrue diligent posters's intentions and unfortunately Scooby is one of them.

Why don't you do us a favor then.... Some including me like Tom... you don't fair enough but why you need to add me in is unknown except only to you... if you don't like it then there is always your choice not to post here.... your choice either way...no skin off my nose .....

I am not sure where all of this antagonism has come from. I think Scooby has been quite reasonable. Racing people do tend to be great knockers. Everyone, generally, is just trying to do their best. We all have different opinions about things like racecallers. I like Tom, I think he has been very harshly treated in NZ re group race meetings. I think Mark Mac is clearly NZ's best caller, but then I tend to like Aussie callers. I was a Mark Sheehan fan. I think the West Australian caller is the benchmark. I have no idea how long he has been calling, he seems to have been going forever, and maintaining his high standards.

The worst of those guys is bloody good let alone the best.

Anyone who thinks it is easy have a go and see exactly how easy it is.

Most of us make our mistakes in private and fix them in private - when they make one the world is there to witness it and they have to shut it from their mind in a split second and carry on.  Not easy - witness Magnolian Khan, Cluden Creek or even Burletta/Quite Regal back in 1983.  The very very best make errors.