RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
aquaman

An idea for consideration.

Thinking about welfare for Greyhounds, and our need to look after the racing Greyhound when racing is finished for them, it struck me that we could improve our industry with 3 simple rule changes.

I think we could save many Greyhounds from a trip to the Vet by implementing these three rules. How many i'm not sure, but probably in the vicinity of 30%.

The first rule would be. No Greyhounds aloud to race under 2yrs of age. The second rule would be. Race programing to change so as to allow age group racing up to 7yrs of age. ie, races for 4yr olds, races for 5yr olds, races for 6yr olds, races for 7yr olds. The third rule change would be, only allowed to race once a week.

By doing this we would extend the productive life of the Greyhound to at least 7yrs of age. It would give them a racing life of up to 5yrs. By starting their racing life at 2yrs, this would allow the dogs to mature before entering the rough and tumble of the racing life. This would have the effect of extending their competitiveness over a longer period. You could have free for alls to allow for all age groups.

At present we allow dogs to start at 14 mths, and race 3/4 times a week. This is leading to injuries and burnout before 3yrs of age. By tweaking our rules, we could have a win win situation. We would save many dogs from a premature trip to the Vet, and the Greyhound owner could have competitive racing for their dog for a lot longer period. By the time they reach 7yrs of age, they are already through 2/3rds of their life span.

Your thoughts please.

2 hours ago, aquaman said:

Thinking about welfare for Greyhounds, and our need to look after the racing Greyhound when racing is finished for them, it struck me that we could improve our industry with 3 simple rule changes.

I think we could save many Greyhounds from a trip to the Vet by implementing these three rules. How many i'm not sure, but probably in the vicinity of 30%.

The first rule would be. No Greyhounds aloud to race under 2yrs of age. The second rule would be. Race programing to change so as to allow age group racing up to 7yrs of age. ie, races for 4yr olds, races for 5yr olds, races for 6yr olds, races for 7yr olds. The third rule change would be, only allowed to race once a week.

By doing this we would extend the productive life of the Greyhound to at least 7yrs of age. It would give them a racing life of up to 5yrs. By starting their racing life at 2yrs, this would allow the dogs to mature before entering the rough and tumble of the racing life. This would have the effect of extending their competitiveness over a longer period. You could have free for alls to allow for all age groups.

At present we allow dogs to start at 14 mths, and race 3/4 times a week. This is leading to injuries and burnout before 3yrs of age. By tweaking our rules, we could have a win win situation. We would save many dogs from a premature trip to the Vet, and the Greyhound owner could have competitive racing for their dog for a lot longer period. By the time they reach 7yrs of age, they are already through 2/3rds of their life span.

Your thoughts please.

Good idea,

We've got a 8 1/2 yr old bitch at home called "Eve Hill". She hasn't raced for around 4yrs or so. But every morning, she goes out the front door and runs around like a "mad idiot". Also when we start our dogs on the track, we wait until they are at least 2yrs old. In our opinion, this saves a lot of "burnouts" and injuries.

Imagine the fun the Anzacs of the world would have" making" dogs race in old age. I have two 9 yo's that think they are still racing animals that would be cot cases if we let them try.

21 hours ago, aquaman said:

Your thoughts please.

John , aqua man this might just be your worse post/idea ever. You have no facts at all to prove your point that racing a dog under 2 increases injuries . You don't see people saying I'm 30 now I might start running so I can win gold when I'm 35. Racing dogs at 7 when they are tired and grey sure they can run what 32 seconds over 520 that sure would be great to watch . You have a couple of dogs going round at the moment , what age did they start racing ? And when do you plain on them having there last start. I have watched dogs that have started racing under 2 years old race 2 or 3 times a week some times 4 but very rarely 4, have 130 plus starts some over 150 and still going at 4 years old . I do agree however with what's going on in Aussie we do need a strong voice on animal welfare and the need to really start looking in our own backyard. We have just had a small stake increase why ? I don't have a clue very poor if you ask me and it will have a toll on the dogs that don't make the grade, they call them wastage . Why not put that money into animal welfare when the dogs have finished racing why not provide a better life after racing .

If anything, a 6-7yr old dog is more likely to get an injury than a 16M old dog. I see no correlation between injuries and the amount of racing or the age of a dog starting to race what so ever and there ia also no evidence that if you start your dog later, itll race to any older

Probably a bit harsh I Know. I agree with some of it. Dogs like calamity free winning at 5 and 1/2 in sub 18.60 show they can still race beyond the years most of them are finishing, but there aren't viable options for them to still race, when you are racing young ones coming through. If they were racing each other why wouldn't it work.

Years ago Auckland used to run races now and again for 4 year olds but they could be quite one dog affairs if a bright star say was up against the c1's. Maybe restricting grades would help. 

Obviously if a dog is 7 tired and grey and not capable of competing you wouldn't race it would you unless you are retarded. No different to a 4 and a half year old now.

Yes they may not be as exciting to watch but Joe blogs at the Tab or the pub will still bet on them. The antis will never stop whinging or trying to shut it down, and making dogs careers run longer by having races catered for them can surely only help the numbers.

I can't comment on the waiting until the dogs are 2 years old would help longevity. I wouldn't know.

2 hours ago, Jay4 said:

Probably a bit harsh I Know. I agree with some of it. Dogs like calamity free winning at 5 and 1/2 in sub 18.60 show they can still race beyond the years most of them are finishing, but there aren't viable options for them to still race, when you are racing young ones coming through. If they were racing each other why wouldn't it work.

Years ago Auckland used to run races now and again for 4 year olds but they could be quite one dog affairs if a bright star say was up against the c1's. Maybe restricting grades would help. 

Obviously if a dog is 7 tired and grey and not capable of competing you wouldn't race it would you unless you are retarded. No different to a 4 and a half year old now.

Yes they may not be as exciting to watch but Joe blogs at the Tab or the pub will still bet on them. The antis will never stop whinging or trying to shut it down, and making dogs careers run longer by having races catered for them can surely only help the numbers.

I can't comment on the waiting until the dogs are 2 years old would help longevity. I wouldn't know.

BS, The antis would play the whole, its in-humane to race dogs that old. Over in Aus, I do believe they are trying to change the rules so that dogs over 5 cannot run past 400m, and they wanted to stop it altogether

On 30 July 2016 at 10:13 AM, aquaman said:
2 hours ago, Jay4 said:

Very true jay4 put the races on 4 and 5 but surly not after that 

2 hours ago, alltheway!!! said:

BS, The antis would play the whole, its in-humane to race dogs that old. Over in Aus, I do believe they are trying to change the rules so that dogs over 5 cannot run past 400m, and they wanted to stop it altogether

gee i am hard pressed to find any dogs racing in vic 5 y/o

interesting tips from grv                     Considering that a single standard metropolitan win earns a minimum $5,000 in prize money, and that greyhounds can race around 40 times a year for approximately two years, you can expected to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a young greyhound showing city class potential         

Prior inspection of the greyhound in a race or trial is also recommended.

Keep in mind that a greyhound’s peak racing age is usually 2.5-3.5 years, and they are generally retired by the time they reach five years of age.