RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

One way to increase stakes....

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

We have to look at England. In the first three months of this year their Stakes improved by 9% compared with the same period in 2015. Last year January to March £20.8 m. This year £22.8m.Note the British wing of the European Breeders Fund will add £1,637,000 to Stakes this year 90% funded by stallion owners.Note also that England has a vibrant and influential Racing Owners Association with 7,500 members. No use whingeing.  Use these examples as a blueprint for our future.

Like that Breeders Fund idea....do we have anything like that here ?

1 hour ago, biff said:

I reckon you're half right, as to England, big changes there, and Harry Herbert [Highclere Syndications] for one has taken racing to the masses!…….look at the crowds!……..in UK racing is on a roll!…..they recognised a lot of their shortcomings, they addressed such, not like here, head in the sand stuff…..cmon, I'll ask you guys, let's shoot from the hip eh? what would you lot do if the All Blacks started to play like the Wallabies? crowds were down to buggery? I'd bet my last that there would be uproar, coach would be gone, admin and management called to account, the press would be on their case….but not the old racing game, one of the top revenue producers for the country, oh no, leave that to gurgle and splutter…….there's something crook in Tallarook…...

It has also amazed me that there hasn't been some groundswell of revolt from those being affected by the industry going into decline.

I think sadly the punters have just given up or shifted their betting to Australia and those with more direct involvement such has owners, trainers, jockeys etc have likewise given up, left the country, or are just battling away as best they can until they can think of something else to do.

Sadly, most of those who may have been able to effect some change at the top are probably among those who have given up. 

It is a complex industry and not everyone really understands how it all works, not the least those in management positions.

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Thanks We're Doomed. Bookies take a big share of betting in Australia as well. The ownership structure in England is not as elitist as you claim. Syndication is well established there. One of our major problems is that Kiwi Punters invest with bookies and betting agencies offshore. I find it hypocritical that owners complain about stake levels yet continue to bet offshore. Our TAB with all its imperfections will always be my favoured betting option.

Stakes = Income = salaries for breeders/owners/trainers and as such have not kept pace with inflation,  in comparison to the NZRB CEO's salary over the last 10 years.  Why ?

The TAB itself has created the exodus of punters to offshore   i.e.

demise of free-to-air means that no prospective punters can see racing on TV while channel surfing.  Limited info in press publications means the same. 

Eventual demise of telephone betting means the bias against the "older generation" when the statistics prove that they are the highest demographic of punter they have.  Make no mistake they have engineered this for some time by understaffing this area as opposed to the efficiency on Melbourne Cup day when they wanted every dollar they could get.

I totally agree that the industry itself needs to take back the reins.

There were 2 opportunities for nz racing to get coverage in the media this week .

John Key had dinner in France with Dan Carter etc.I wonder if James McDonald was asked to cross the channel.

Joe Biden arrives in NZ ,meets a few All Blacks.

Where was the trip to  the stud,tent erected for meal and speech.

Without media exposure this industry is kaput.

How else do you encourage the young and bring back the oldies other than getting it on the front page and screens.

An All Black passes wind and it's news.

5 hours ago, biff said:

2 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

There were 2 opportunities for nz racing to get coverage in the media this week .

John Key had dinner in France with Dan Carter etc.I wonder if James McDonald was asked to cross the channel.

Joe Biden arrives in NZ ,meets a few All Blacks.

Where was the trip to  the stud,tent erected for meal and speech.

Without media exposure this industry is kaput.

How else do you encourage the young and bring back the oldies other than getting it on the front page and screens.

An All Black passes wind and it's news.

Do you really think John Key knows who James McDonald is?

41 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Do you really think John Key knows who James McDonald is?

Maybe McDonalds name is in that BLIND TRUST he operates.

Honestly somebody in his endless entourage should have known,if not then it shows just how far down the pecking order racing is.