RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Palmy Panther

Greyhound Racing Banned in NSW

52 minutes ago, lad27 said:

Scooby there are rogues in all industrys and it appears that you are taking the side thats tarring all greyhound people with that brush in my view.

If 100 people got pinged doing 130km on the open road is that a reason to drop the speed limit to 90km for the rest of the drivers.

If we use your analogy...why have speed limits...it is to protect innocent people from being killed or injured by the very people you mention... Police do not trust EVERYONE to do the right thing.

As unsavoury as it sounds of course Scooby is correct, if the live baiting had not happened neither would this crisis. However other people are also correct in that the same people that highlighted this and provide false facts and figures (by their own admission) will have little trouble bringing the same case against the horse codes, the billboards before the last Melbourne cup are an entrée of things to come. Dogs were just the easiest target to get started.

John is also correct when  he says that the problem is not in NZ we seem to be ahead of the whole of Aus in animal welfare and there is no chance that the type of thing that made headlines in NSW has been happening in NZ.

Will the ban actually happen, of course not. Anzac Cross shouldn't start celebrating yet

3 minutes ago, GOM said:

As unsavoury as it sounds of course Scooby is correct, if the live baiting had not happened neither would this crisis. However other people are also correct in that the same people that highlighted this and provide false facts and figures (by their own admission) will have little trouble bringing the same case against the horse codes, the billboards before the last Melbourne cup are an entrée of things to come. Dogs were just the easiest target to get started.

John is also correct when  he says that the problem is not in NZ we seem to be ahead of the whole of Aus in animal welfare and there is no chance that the type of thing that made headlines in NSW has been happening in NZ.

Will the ban actually happen, of course not. Anzac Cross shouldn't start celebrating yet

are you for real mike this hasnt happened in nz

3 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Well if you had not used live bait then there would be none of this.... nobody to blame but yourselves one would think...JMHO.

Are you aware Scooby that the "Live Baiting" issue was only in Australia & not in New Zealand? It has been illegal to use live baiting here in New Zealand for years from what I heard on News Talk ZB on the way home from the races today. It was not illegal in some parts of Aussie until it came up in the media.

So with that being said how can you blame us (the owners & trainers) here in New Zealand for something that we don't & never did do? The way I read your comment your breaking your own rules by not showing TRUE facts.

I don't condone live baiting at all in any form. Interesting I'm a boat builder and last week I fitted probably the 30th 'live bait' tank I have fitted in my life on a 65 footer. I can assure you Scooby the owner wasn't into greyhound racing. Interesting the double standards in this world right? Every 2nd boat in westhaven marina has a 'live bait' tank on it. Yet no one gives a toss about it!!! And you can't tell me a fish doesn't feel it because they flap like crazy when that sharp hook goes through its mouth! And before you say it's different it's for a feed. It's game fishing mate. Get a photo, a high five from your mates and then release it with a sore mouth, absolutely exhausted lucky if it survives! So if they are consistent, fishing will be banned too. Just regulate it better! Jesus Christ!

From the top to the bottom of the industry they are guilty. I have no sympathy. Stuff them.

NSW first, wouldn't be surprised if other states follow in time.

I certainly hope greyhound racing in NZ is above these deplorable and sickening behaviours and everybody involved self regulates because it will be under the microscope for awhile. The consequences could be enormous now the precedent across the ditch is set.

Greyhound lovers may come at me for my comments but you try to justify the unjustifiable.....animal cruelty, mass dog killings and live baiting.  

Happy the fact you are on a racing site hopefully means you know something about racing, Horses get whipped the length of the straight even if they are dog tired at the end of three miles in the mud being made to jump fences they would far rather go around. Have a look at a head on in the straight at the Ben Hur's with all the long whips cracking, yet you would justify that.

No one in NZ  is trying to justify what has happened in Aus, it is not a problem here which also answers Gubellini's query

Gubes how would it sound if I said I would not be surprised if horse owners have been starving their charges to the point of collapse in NZ. Scooby will probably say prove it and I can, where a farmer got me to put down such a horse because the owner asked him to look after it and he would bring food for it but never ever did. We both know that is not an isolated instance.

Sad sad day and it's a done deal alright. Liberal/National Party currently in power in NSW - The senate has 42 seats - 20 held by Lib/Nats, 5 Greens and 1 Animal Protection - that's 26 of the 42 just can't see it not being passed.    

5 minutes ago, GOM said:

Happy the fact you are on a racing site hopefully means you know something about racing, Horses get whipped the length of the straight even if they are dog tired at the end of three miles in the mud being made to jump fences they would far rather go around. Have a look at a head on in the straight at the Ben Hur's with all the long whips cracking, yet you would justify that.

Had time to think....try not to overreact but not this time! This has devastating effects on good people which is really unfortunate. Gosh, livelihoods and families have been thrown into chaos.

But where were the governing body? They were part of all of this according to the report. The actions of stupid people were not shut down by the people in power. Maybe some need to look in the mirror as they didn't protect the good people of the industry.

For the record I think jumps racing should go. 

5 minutes ago, GOM said:

You have appoint with the governing body Happy  you would think they had plenty of chances.

GOM, the whole thing is sh*thouse. 

Your point about whipping doesn't quite stack up in my book as the stipes punish them when they do it to an extreme - they are monitoring the actions. To turn a blind eye to the appalling (and it is) behaviour of several in the Australian industry shows a completed lack of understanding of the issues.

HRNZ sorted out the metal whip issue pretty quick. It had to so it protected the industry as a whole. Greyhound Australia, or whatever they are called, should have done the same.

GOM I appreciate your honest response and you have my total respect. Whip rules are in place in both codes and fines are dished out regularly. Top kind Jockeys like Haydn Tinsley know that putting the stick on tired horses on heavy tracks can often be counterproductive. He nurses them and keeps them balanced instead. The onus is now on Greyhound Racing N.Z. to maintain the highest standards in their code.

4 hours ago, aquaman said:

How about some facts. Put up or shut up. How many caught doing this in NZ. You are full of crap, and no facts.

no ones talking about nz, Not yet anyway.     Have you read the queensland report, Will you read the nsw report.   Not just live baitng, not just widespread use of performance enhancers,not just about all the evidence from the vets and vets nurses about what happens to these dogs,and they are the ones humanely put down.,not just about officials turning a blind eye,  Much more than that.      No ones attacking those in nz who love their dogs,just saying what has happened in Australia is not surprising given all the  revelations.

It sounds like life baiting is not the only problem/issue. It us the slaughter of so many healthy dogs who simply are not fast enough. This is something NZ is very guilty of as well but the heirachy turn a blind eye to. Factory farming of these disposable commodities must stop or our sport us doomed. 

its only a matter of time before this happens in NZ, the antis have already started to target Victorian Greyhounds. Lets hope the GRV have their act together unlike GRNSW because if greyhound racing is banned in Victoria, its only a matter of time before they come after NZ greyhounds, we will all be lucky if we still have an industry here in 5 years and if NZGRA acts the way they did last time, than I can see no way around this as they have proven in NSW that greyhound racing can be stopped, even if it means a huge dent to the economy and countless people that live of off the industry losing their jobs. I also find it interesting how ALL greyhound breeding in NSW must be stopped, does this mean that no one in NSW is allowed to breed a  greyhound?

https://www.change.org/p/daniel-andrews-ban-greyhound-racing-in-victoria?source_location=petition_footer&algorithm=curated_trending&grid_position=2

Phil Holden CEO of GRNZ since March 1 this year was interviewed by Mike Hosking on the ZB network at 6.40 a.m. this morning. Spoke well and admitted he has only been in the role a short time. Made some good comments and praised our RIU for ensuring everything was fine with the Greyhound code in New Zealand. Sorry Phil but in light of recent events I do not share your faith in our RIU.

There is praise that should be awarded to the NZGRA for their ability to react to the looming crisis before it even got a hearing, NZGRA find them in an already strong position on welfare and accountability and do not need a kneejerk reaction.

Like you Gubes I have no confidence in the RIU being instrumental in this or much else in the name of integrity.

3 hours ago, Gary Sharp said:

This has nothing to do with NSW but looks like Sydney could next to lose Greyhound racing & worth a read.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/innercity-developer-wants-to-buy-wentworth-park-greyhound-track-20140412-36k1a.html

Um......Sydney is in New South Wales, and the article has a lot to do with why it has been shut down.