RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

The 1000 Will Be Well Deserved Indeed

Gray closing in on milestone

30 June 2016, 1:24 p.m.

Kevin Gray is just two victories away from reaching 1000 New Zealand wins in his remarkable career.

The Palmerston North trainer goes into Friday's Waverley meeting with 998 wins to his credit in New Zealand, accumulated over the 36 years since he first took out his licence at 43.

Gray%20Kevin%205888s%20(2)%20300px.jpg
Kevin Gray Photo: Trish Dunell

Gray, who worked closely with Copper Belt during his time working for Brian Deacon and in more recent years has conditioned the likes of Daffodil and Legs, says getting to 1000 wins is recognition for the hard yards he has done in racing over the years.

"It'll be a great thrill. There's not a great many trainers in New Zealand to have done it," said Gray, who turns 79 on Satuday.

"It's been a huge effort to get here. I've done it the hard way."

Gray lost his father while he was still a boy and made his way in the rural sector through sheer hard work.

He worked as a sheep station shepherd, once spending 19 weeks driving a huge flock of sheep between Gisborne and Patea along public roads, before taking on a role as a stock agent at Waverley. During that time, he was also working with horses, pre-training for prominent trainers Deacon, Wally McEwen and Herb Bergerson.

When Deacon relocated from South Taranaki to Takanini, Gray took out his trainer's licence and took over training for some of his owners.

"I was a late starter in training, but I'd been involved with the horses well before I took my licence out. I'd done all the work with Copper Belt," Gray said.

"I've had a lot of good horses over the years - too many to remember them all. I've had some great winners and trained for some great owners."

As well as being recognised as a proficient mentor of a racehorse, Gray is renowned as a mentor of many a good horseman.

Trainers John Boon and Alexander Fieldes honed their craft under Gray's tutelage, while 15 apprentices have come under his wing, among them the likes of Lisa Allpress, Bruce Herd, Damon Smith, Hayden Tinsley, Kim Clapperton, Eddie Lamb, Paul Worthington and current novice Holly Andrew.

"I'm so proud of them all. The kids all come back to me and they respect me and what I've done for them."

Gray rode trackwork from age 10 and was an amateur rider and in the New Zealand buckjumping team.

He has also been an active administrator, serving as president for the Waverley Racing Club and the Egmont-Wanganui Hunt Club.

Gray's son Stephen trained in partnership with him before going on to forge a successful career in Singapore, feats he is especially proud of.

"He's done very well for himself up there," Gray said.

Gray could say the same for himself.

Despite some reservations about current racing administration and stalling prize money levels, Gray remains passionate about racing and his involvement.

He also pays tribute to his wife Kathleen's input into the stable over the years.

"I couldn't have done it without Kathleen," Gray said.

"We've been married 53 years and we're great mates. We love each other and always have each other's back. Back when we had workers and apprentices living with us, she'd cook breakfast for 20 and think nothing of it."

As fitting as reaching 1000 wins on his old home track of Waverley on Friday would be, Gray is happy to celebrate the milestone whenever it happens.

"It would be nice to get it at Waverley, but whatever will be will be. I'm not a greedy man."  - NZ Racing Desk

12 hours ago, hesi said:

Used to be freezing works at Patea, probably save on cartage, who knows

My son has a huntaway/border collie cross cattle dog(he is a trainee farmer), that's the limit of my farming knowledge.

He's in Phuket at the moment so Dad is minding the dog.  She likes rolling in smelly stuff, so usually ends up in the shower with me most nights:)(no funny business though:lol:)

Good farm dog

83471f8c316fa2e4a42c3d456a8d82dc.jpg

20 hours ago, N1MUE said:

I'm no farmer, so happy for someone to explain it to me, but why would you herd a flock of sheep from Gisborne to Patea?  That's a bloody long way!

Perhaps you should spend some time on the farm!!

'Tis the way that it always was done and if you are in a rural area they still have people shifting livestock along the roads from farmland to farmland.

Once a year share-milkers are known to pack up their belongings and stock and transfer to other locations.

It goes to show how much we all take for granted these days, doesn't it?

Mr Gray, along with others of his generation are excellent role models and others would do well to take a leaf out of his book, including those that bleat about how far they have to take horses to the rural community's raceday meetings!!

23 minutes ago, meomy said:

Perhaps you should spend some time on the farm!!

'Tis the way that it always was done and if you are in a rural area they still have people shifting livestock along the roads from farmland to farmland.

Once a year share-milkers are known to pack up their belongings and stock and transfer to other locations.

It goes to show how much we all take for granted these days, doesn't it?

Mr Gray, along with others of his generation are excellent role models and others would do well to take a leaf out of his book, including those that bleat about how far they have to take horses to the rural community's raceday meetings!!

Yep I grew up in a small town in a rural area and spent some summer holidays working on farms, and yes I have driven through herds of cows and flocks of sheep being moved on rural roads from farmland to farmland.  But that wasn't my point - my point was why move them so far? 

Kevin trained his 1000th winner yesterday in the last race at Waverley when Itsallbelt ran away to win by over five lengths.

And what an appropriate win it was too.  Firstly it was at Waverley where he was established early in his career, where he also served as President of the club and secondly Itsallbelt, the name being synonymous to Kevin's champion galloper Copper Belt after whom his property is named after.

Congratulations Kevin, job well done and a thoroughly deserved accomplishment.  

Guest 2Admin2

Congratulations to Kevin Gray - a true gentleman.  

Shame the NZ Racing Desk got their dates wrong!  The races were yesterday (Thursday) NOT today (Friday)!  Did Dillo write the article?  Also the article says 998 wins before Waverley so unless maths rules have changed Kevin is still one short i.e. 998 + 1 = 999.

With regard to driving livestock long distances - as recently as the early 50's the Nolan's and Condon's of South Westland used to drive their hereford and mixed breed beef cattle from the Cascade (south of Jackson's Bay - near Haast) to the sale yards at Whataroa.  A distance of over 200 miles (320km)!!!!  They would ford rivers and even swim them across lakes.

I had the fortune to see two mustering horses swum across Lake Paringa, tied to the back of a boat, to the end of the left arm - a distance of 2 miles!

Well done to Kevin gray a nice man and a very good trainer of apprentices as well as horses.

I had the pleasure to ride a few winners for him , and slaughter one too I remember, but not entirely my fault it refused to jump from the barriers!!!

He was always kind and helpful in his dealings with me and i hope he keeps training many more winners too.