RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mt Smart Cats

Alex Park Tote Board

Of recent I have been a regular to Alexandra Park and generally this means having a little dabble here and there on the tote. Small bets reading the old race book, no study, no videos, just something on for an interest in the race. Noticed on a very regular basis the odds shown on the on course tote board to be generous only to find once the gate has rolled away for odds to tumble.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the parimutuel totes are kicking in from Aus with back to back short lead ins through Sky racing vision, bigger punters are getting on late, bigger pools presenting a more realistic price, maybe even the tab itself laying off their fixed into the tote or vice versa, who knows but all the same reasons that make complete sense.

Last Friday I had a smallish punt on a horse fixed. Watched the tote board from about 5 mins out as well as updating my phone every 30 seconds into every 15 seconds in the last few minutes before they started. 

Well what do you know.... The tote board ticks over in the lead up to a figure greater than that shown on my phone despite updating as often as possible over a period of time. The odds are changing every time I update and yet they never reach this figure. The tote board rolls again and still it's a far juicier number. Maybe the on course tote board has a lag? 5 mins of updating never once showed this horse at the odds in front of eyes. Maybe it was a one off mistake? Anyway the race kicks off and as always crunch in it comes to meet the odds shown on the website. Didn't affect me either way as I was fixed.

I guess the question is this? Who manages the software that runs the tote board at Alex Park? Let's be fair, tote boards are basically an obsolete relic with today's modern technologies and are a perfect little nesting place for rats to hibernate through the winter. If ATC are to persist with theirs one would suggest that they might want to catch the rat hiding somewhere inside that board that is having a laugh at suckers like myself. Bad bad look if  it was found that this rat had inadvertently caused false advertising enticing gambling.

10 hours ago, Mt Smart Cats said:

Of recent I have been a regular to Alexandra Park and generally this means having a little dabble here and there on the tote. Small bets reading the old race book, no study, no videos, just something on for an interest in the race. Noticed on a very regular basis the odds shown on the on course tote board to be generous only to find once the gate has rolled away for odds to tumble.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the parimutuel totes are kicking in from Aus with back to back short lead ins through Sky racing vision, bigger punters are getting on late, bigger pools presenting a more realistic price, maybe even the tab itself laying off their fixed into the tote or vice versa, who knows but all the same reasons that make complete sense.

Last Friday I had a smallish punt on a horse fixed. Watched the tote board from about 5 mins out as well as updating my phone every 30 seconds into every 15 seconds in the last few minutes before they started. 

Well what do you know.... The tote board ticks over in the lead up to a figure greater than that shown on my phone despite updating as often as possible over a period of time. The odds are changing every time I update and yet they never reach this figure. The tote board rolls again and still it's a far juicier number. Maybe the on course tote board has a lag? 5 mins of updating never once showed this horse at the odds in front of eyes. Maybe it was a one off mistake? Anyway the race kicks off and as always crunch in it comes to meet the odds shown on the website. Didn't affect me either way as I was fixed.

I guess the question is this? Who manages the software that runs the tote board at Alex Park? Let's be fair, tote boards are basically an obsolete relic with today's modern technologies and are a perfect little nesting place for rats to hibernate through the winter. If ATC are to persist with theirs one would suggest that they might want to catch the rat hiding somewhere inside that board that is having a laugh at suckers like myself. Bad bad look if  it was found that this rat had inadvertently caused false advertising enticing gambling.

Yes there has always been enticing odds being shown to get punters to invest on the tote.

That is why the serious punters only bet Fixed nowadays as tote odds are so erratic and pointless looking at them as they can change so much after race has started.

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Yes there has always been enticing odds being shown to get punters to invest on the tote.

That is why the serious punters only bet Fixed nowadays as tote odds are so erratic and pointless looking at them as they can change so much after race has started.

No expert on the matter but that would be highly illegal, especially given the stigma around gambling within society.

A supermarket can't advertise potatoes at a cheap rate to get customers in the door but never have any intentions of selling them at this price. I like potatoes. I would still buy said potatoes. Some people like gambling, some people Like it too much. Enticing these gamblers to punt by showing some juicy returns......

5 hours ago, Mt Smart Cats said:

No expert on the matter but that would be highly illegal, especially given the stigma around gambling within society.

A supermarket can't advertise potatoes at a cheap rate to get customers in the door but never have any intentions of selling them at this price. I like potatoes. I would still buy said potatoes. Some people like gambling, some people Like it too much. Enticing these gamblers to punt by showing some juicy returns......

TAB can show any odds that they want on the tote!

otherwise how can they be showing a market when there is less than $10 in each of the win and place tote!

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Man, you talk some shit.

Odds change on text midway though the races, no good to the punter who has there bet already on, been going on for sumtime now and if you have the short priced, they usually  shrink after race start time, on the other hand a long shot can lengthen out.

4 hours ago, Toblerone said:

Man, you talk some shit.

Toblerone. Thanks for the compliment.

What do you disagree with?

On 6/28/2016 at 8:52 AM, Brodie said:

Lately I have been finding that the odds are better on the tote than the Tab fixed odds at the jump I am not backing favorites and only place betting. That being said I do agree with you that the tote odds do change a lot and have been burned by the odds crashing in previously. I do still tend to back them fixed as at least you know what you are getting back.  

1 hour ago, tonkatime said:

Lately I have been finding that the odds are better on the tote than the Tab fixed odds at the jump I am not backing favorites and only place betting. That being said I do agree with you that the tote odds do change a lot and have been burned by the odds crashing in previously. I do still tend to back them fixed as at least you know what you are getting back.  

That is exactly my point, that you know what you are getting, and if they are too short on the fixed then you don't have a go!

If you are a smaller Investor and do it for the fun and don't care whether you make money or not, then the tote is fine.

The serious punters who offload decent sums then fixed is the only way you can go as sizeable amounts on the place tote would normally shorten the div too much!