RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
legs&lashes

Remits

Its that time of year again.

I am led to believe that the RIU are submitting remits for the greyhound code?

If this is true how can this be allowed as I thought clubs and the board would only be allowed as the RIU is not affiliated with GRNZ or have I missed something?

Surely the RIU are there to enforce the rules not help to make them,or is this just a further case of racing giving more power to them?

As for the 'gear" thing,that is just a joke and the clubs need to get rid of it.I am a punter and have spoken to many punters and they DONT take any notice of gear on dogs as a possible performance enhancer.Tape and strapping is used as a precautionary measure in my opinion or to give stability to old injuries.

AC

We have enough chumps making the rules without the RIU pocking their snouts in. And agree about the gear thing. This is what you get when you have Racing Managers with little knowledge. They sit down thinking about new rules to justify their existance. Its as silly as having to notify wether you have a stirr up, just nonsense.

3 hours ago, legs&lashes said:

Its that time of year again.

I am led to believe that the RIU are submitting remits for the greyhound code?

If this is true how can this be allowed as I thought clubs and the board would only be allowed as the RIU is not affiliated with GRNZ or have I missed something?

Surely the RIU are there to enforce the rules not help to make them,or is this just a further case of racing giving more power to them?

As for the 'gear" thing,that is just a joke and the clubs need to get rid of it.I am a punter and have spoken to many punters and they DONT take any notice of gear on dogs as a possible performance enhancer.Tape and strapping is used as a precautionary measure in my opinion or to give stability to old injuries.

AC

3 hours ago, legs&lashes said:

I agree with half of the gear thin. The way I look at it is with strapping & toe bands is it's there to let the punters know which dogs have had an jury to that area in the past & the trainer is letting the punters know they have done something to try & prevent it happening to the dog again. As for blinkers to explains it self sometimes in the race report.

The part I agree with about the gear list that should go is the kenneling part of it. What difference is it going to make to a dog or the punter if it wears a strap/barking muzzle? I have seen a few dogs on the list that wear a barking muzzle/strap in kennels & 1 week the don't do well & then next time they could come out & win or get a place.

As for the RIU part of it I think they are only putting forward what they see is needing to change & then its up to the clubs & GRNZ to approve or decline the suggestions put forward by the RIU but your are right when you said it looks like the board is giving them more power.

Just for the record this is just my thoughts & opinion as a owner & NOT as a starter.

Anyone heard of any worthwhile remits being put forward?

I don't mind the RIU putting forward a remit, firstly because they do get to see a wide range of circumstances that as individuals we do not and the clubs still decide if it is valid or not. Democracy at work.

I would have thought that with all the recent emphasis on dog welfare that seeding boxes for wide runners and railers needs looking at again. I know there are plenty of arguments both ways on this but it would do no harm to look at it once more. Could seeding reduce the number of racing injuries? definitely.

Time to look at two wins in class 1 again. Common sense tells you it should be in every grade or not at all.

Have another look at the having a catcher rule. At the moment it defies logic that one track insists that a catcher must be used because of a non existent safety threat whilst another track with exact the same setup allows the person starting the dog to catch it. There are some tracks where it definitely is not viable for the starter to be the catcher eg.  Auckland 527 but where it is possible it should be allowed as arranging catchers (especially for big teams ) is an unnecessary burden on race days. In some instances this rule is overlooked if you have made an (honest?) attempt to find a catcher but failed  which makes an even bigger joke of the whole setup.

Have another look at a national selection process and a national selector. never give up on this one.  

Is it time to have a look at the dress code at CHCH again. I know it took the best part of a year to get agreement on a national dress code but the tie at CHCH is outdated. Most formal occasions that used to require a  tie such as weddings, funerals and the Saturday night dance no longer demand one. They are seldom worn by most mangers in the workplace as they used to be and I cannot see why people should be forced to wear on while pursuing their employment or sport. They are not compulsory in the other codes.

Craig I owe you an apology after reading a proposed remit from the RIU That no person shall in any manner attempt to excite any greyhound in the kennel building or the track. The reason given is that it is to dissuade the LP's from making noises at stir- ups.

What a bloody joke it is a stir up that is designed to excite the greyhounds. I usually say to my dog here comes the bunny but I whisper it in his ear, will the stipes have recording devices at stir ups, so they can decide what has been said and how loud, or maybe I will just get a bystander to say it for me. I broke into the Chorus of Sloop John B one day because my dogs have that sung to them whenever they chase the lure in training at home. If I arrange a chorus of Sloop John B from all the handlers at the next meeting will it be in breach of the rules?

When I said the remit system allowing the RIU to put forward remits I was at least expecting common sense would be a requisite.

Our industry is becoming a joke. next it will be that the dogs need blindfolds at stir-ups so the public don't see them getting excited.

11 hours ago, GOM said:

Craig I owe you an apology after reading a proposed remit from the RIU That no person shall in any manner attempt to excite any greyhound in the kennel building or the track. The reason given is that it is to dissuade the LP's from making noises at stir- ups.

What a bloody joke it is a stir up that is designed to excite the greyhounds. I usually say to my dog here comes the bunny but I whisper it in his ear, will the stipes have recording devices at stir ups, so they can decide what has been said and how loud, or maybe I will just get a bystander to say it for me. I broke into the Chorus of Sloop John B one day because my dogs have that sung to them whenever they chase the lure in training at home. If I arrange a chorus of Sloop John B from all the handlers at the next meeting will it be in breach of the rules?

When I said the remit system allowing the RIU to put forward remits I was at least expecting common sense would be a requisite.

Our industry is becoming a joke. next it will be that the dogs need blindfolds at stir-ups so the public don't see them getting excited.

I wouldnt panic mike cause I dont recall seeing one remit that the riu have suggested actually getting voted in...goes to show the worth of their ideas. They put one forward last year about no registered trainer can be allowed any animal, including birds on their property that could directly or indirectly be used to excite a greyhound. .....I have 16 chickens, 3 pigs, 4 cats, 2 cows, 2 horses, 2 pet dogs and 2 pairs of wild paradise ducks here at my place and no intentions of culling any of them to suit the riu's queer suggestions! It's all part of country living but I think they under the impression we all live in a apartment block in a main city.

Edited by Slim Shady