RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
beerwithduncan

All time favourite songs.

27 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Can anybody name the British singer who has been called'''''A five time one hit wonder''''after being lead singer with 5 different groups.

Clue Bubblegum era

Honestly didn't have to look this one up having been tied up in  oldies type  radio over the years.   Would be  Tony Burrows with Edison Lighthouse,  Pipkins, Brotherhood Of Man,   White Plains ? 

Few years later did the Beach Baby song with First Class.    Another singer like that was Ron Dante, voice of Archies, Cuff Links ( Tracy ) and earlier Detergents ( Leader Of The Laundromat ).

32 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Bubblegum music was for a long time thought to be uncool just like Disco but it can grow on you imo.

Goody goody gumdrops one of my favourites by 1910 fruitgum co.

And 1-2-3 Red Light, Chewy Chewy with Joey Levine and Ohio Express.  Crazy Elephant - Gimme Gimme Good Loving.   Joey Levine came back as voice for Reunion in 1974 ( Life Is A Rock  ) . Steam were another group that didn't exist and had to put one together to tour, They even had a # 1 with Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.  The msuicians named the group as they came out of the recording session at around 2 AM and steam was coming out of a manhole cover.

Just now, Mr Spyro said:

And 1-2-3 Red Light, Chewy Chewy with Joey Levine and Ohio Express.  Crazy Elephant - Gimme Gimme Good Loving.   Joey Levine came back as voice for Reunion in 1974 ( Life Is A Rock  ) . Steam were another group that didn't exist and had to put one together to tour, They even had a # 1 with Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.  The musicians  named the group as they came out of the recording session at around 2 AM and steam was coming out of a manhole cover.

5 minutes ago, hesi said:

Good one on Ohio Express VS, but what was the second million dollar seller?

It seems from that programme on the Wrecking Crew the other night, that so may of the hits from the 60's and 70's, the actual musicians did not play on the recordings.

Let's try a different slant, who do you rate as the 5 best female vocalists of the pop era(so going back to the late 50's say)

Chewy Chewy was their biggest American hit after Yummy Yummy reaching # 15.   5 best female vocalists hard as there were still some great female jazz singers recording then like Ella Fitzgerald,  Sarah Vaughan and Della Reese.  Also Etta James from R & B field.  Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day  in pop area.   Coming forward a bit to  the 60's Aretha Franklin,  Lorraine Ellison ( just listen to Stay With Me )  Dusty Springfield. .....

Any song by Harry Chapin. More of a storyteller than a singer. Life tragically cut short by an auto accident. Bit obscure but Kay by John Wesley Ryles right up there. Poignant song evocative of the Vietnam war era.

12 hours ago, gubellini said:

Any song by Harry Chapin. More of a storyteller than a singer. Life tragically cut short by an auto accident. Bit obscure but Kay by John Wesley Ryles right up there. Poignant song evocative of the Vietnam war era.

Tangled Up Puppet by Harry Chapin gets to me every time, for anyone that has watched a daughter grow up  distance herself .   The amazing thing about Kay and John Wesley Ryles was he was still in his teens when he sang it but manages to sound so world weary.

13 hours ago, gubellini said:

Cats in the cradle shoud be the subject of a DEGREE  at varsities around the world.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, crustyngrizzly said:

Cats in the cradle shoud be the subject of a DEGREE  at varsities around the world.

Agree there Crusty, always pulls at the fatherly heart strings that one.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, hesi said:

Linda Ronstadt, I don't think she wrote a single song

She could sing that girl, really sing . Didn't need to write songs. Pity she became a recluse.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:51 AM, Mr Spyro said:

Tangled Up Puppet by Harry Chapin gets to me every time, for anyone that has watched a daughter grow up  distance herself . 

A rather special cover of that by his daughter Jen at his 70th birthday celebration. The song though was about his other daughter Jamie apparently.

On Sunday, August 06, 2017 at 9:36 PM, hesi said:

Purely on the quality of voice, I'll throw in

Dusty Springfield

Karen Carpenter

Linda Ronstadt, I don't think she wrote a single song

Add to that list aretha franklin. Karen carpenter would have to be up  there as best female vocal of all  time.

Later on tho

Stevie nicks

18 hours ago, hesi said:

Holland, Dozier, Holland

Motown at its best.  But not really in the "pop"  mold.

I'm going to throw a curve ball here. Apart from Stevie who warbled, and Karen who had the most silkiest voice , and Dusty who had great vocal strength, I thought but for some international recognition , Jenny Morris was out there as a vocal pop talent. She could sing, looked fantastic , and was Kiwi.