RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

New World

I have noticed over recent months a lot of races all over NZ being sponsored by New World. At  a time when NZ Racing struggles to attract any form of significant commercial sponsorship this is actually quite a significant sponsorship and obviously reflects a company policy. So, good on New World I say. Racing people should shop there rather than Countdown.

5 minutes ago, puha said:

Theres a few NW owners that have shares in horses and love a punt .

I think it is a bit more than that. They are sponsoring races at virtually every venue.

One of the big problems with NZ racing is the ability to attract significant commercial sponsorship. 

If you look at all the group one races very few are sponsored by major organisations from outside the racing industry.

Every big sponsor gets dumped on in NZ because the governing bodies have no vision.

Some examples;

Crombie Lockwood when NZTR started some really odd insurance scheme of their own, with Graham Richardson trying to sell it when he couldn't articulate the word "vested".

Mercedes who pulled out over the Darci Brahma v. Wahid vote rigging affair.

Lion Breweries.

NZ Bloodstock when they sponsored the Hawkes Bay Spring Classic/ aka Kelt, but NZTR undermined it by creating the competing Pearl Series.

Sovereign.

There are numerous others of course but there's a pattern here, and it doesn't involve treating benefactors well.

Racing journalists rather than writing up mundane "what they saw on Trackside" stories need to write more about sponsors. Example who is behind the Auckland Racing Clubs "Eye" day where they managed an excellent muster from the optical industry. Steve Davis has done some fascinating shows with sponsors and entrepreneurs who have mixed their business with racing. 

8 hours ago, hesi said:

Wouldn't have thought Racing people could afford the prices at NW

Quite seriously, people in any industry or activity should be supporting their sponsors.

For as long as I can remember race sponsorship in NZ has been more like a donation from people who had an interest in racing rather than a sensible commercial decision. While there is always going to be an element of this, racing does need to ask why it is not a commercially attractive proposition.

I have sponsored events myself and it is always satisfying on the rare occasions when someone actually notices it.

14 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I have noticed over recent months a lot of races all over NZ being sponsored by New World. At  a time when NZ Racing struggles to attract any form of significant commercial sponsorship this is actually quite a significant sponsorship and obviously reflects a company policy. So, good on New World I say. Racing people should shop there rather than Countdown.

Countdown are sponsoring the NZ OLYMPIC TEAM so if every one who supports the Olympics go to Countdown and racing people go to NW the chances of Foodstuffs going belly up would be rather high.

4 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Quite seriously, people in any industry or activity should be supporting their sponsors.

For as long as I can remember race sponsorship in NZ has been more like a donation from people who had an interest in racing rather than a sensible commercial decision. While there is always going to be an element of this, racing does need to ask why it is not a commercially attractive proposition.

I have sponsored events myself and it is always satisfying on the rare occasions when someone actually notices it.

And of course if we are shopping there it wouldn't be a bad idea to send an email to NW saying "I chose to shop here because you sponsor horse races"

Why not send an email to Foodstuffs or Progressive and thank them for screwing over all the small businesses that have gone broke because of them ??

9 hours ago, chelseacol said:

And of course if we are shopping there it wouldn't be a bad idea to send an email to NW saying "I chose to shop here because you sponsor horse races"

I love shopping at New World. As I understand it, each NW is independently owned, so the money comes out of each owner's pocket. Well done to those branches that do sponsor races, I see the New World race day as part of the Wellington Racing carnival, well done to all those branches that do support the day. New World has my business for sure. 

Maybe if the industry was advertised on main stream TV it could help bring in more sponsors (yes I understand it costs more than Trackside). There are some great ads on Trackside but this is only advertising to people who are already interested in the races, not new blood.

I am not really meaning the TAB and the betting side of racing. I think we need to be advertising the races, the courses, the atmosphere at the races and things that are put on for families (not just the big days were it is R18 attendances only).  I think Riccarton has a good ad on Trackside but it needs to get to a wider audience.

New sponsors will not come along if they do not think they are getting the right exposure for their money.

Also good on Go Racing for advertising on the Stuff website, nice see them thinking outside the box.

46 minutes ago, Dibbles said:

I am not really meaning the TAB and the betting side of racing. I think we need to be advertising the races, the courses, the atmosphere at the races and things that are put on for families (not just the big days were it is R18 attendances only).  I think Riccarton has a good ad on Trackside but it needs to get to a wider audience.

New sponsors will not come along if they do not think they are getting the right exposure for their money.

Also good on Go Racing for advertising on the Stuff website, nice see them thinking outside the box.

The Christmas at the Races campaign had considerable advertising and attracted large crowds to many of the events, so was probably quite successful.

I have no idea what impact it had on turnover though. The gate charges tended to turn away regular punters, but people with families just going for the "event" didn't seem to mind paying to get in as they weren't intending to bet much.

15 hours ago, Dibbles said:

Maybe if the industry was advertised on main stream TV it could help bring in more sponsors (yes I understand it costs more than Trackside). There are some great ads on Trackside but this is only advertising to people who are already interested in the races, not new blood.

Spot on Dib.We promoted the ATC major meetings on Trackside ( first Club to do so ) and mainstream TV back in the late 90's and into 2000. The feedback was always positive with increased attendances and turnover. The expenditure can be considerable but deals can be done ( contra etc ) so it doesn't have to cost a fortune. And you are right, it gets the message out to the wider audience rather than preaching to the converted.

Don't think it has been done since. Progress eh......?? ;)

9 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Spot on Dib.We promoted the ATC major meetings on Trackside ( first Club to do so ) and mainstream TV back in the late 90's and into 2000. The feedback was always positive with increased attendances and turnover. The expenditure can be considerable but deals can be done ( contra etc ) so it doesn't have to cost a fortune. And you are right, it gets the message out to the wider audience rather than preaching to the converted.

Don't think it has been done since. Progress eh......?? ;)

Sadly not many people watch mainstream TV, and certainly not Racing's target market. I seriously could not tell you a single advert that appears on mainstream TV.

49 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Sadly not many people watch mainstream TV, and certainly not Racing's target market. I seriously could not tell you a single advert that appears on mainstream TV.

I watch mainstream TV, I know a lot of people who do not have sky etc. Also what is racing target market?

Also how about local papers & and online papers, weekly magazines (women's weekly, new idea, horse & pony etc) there are plenty of forms of advertising markets that have not been touched which will maybe help bring a wider audience to the industry which may even bring new owners into horses or syndicates.