RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Yorkielad

NZ Derby and review of the Guinea races

Rangipo is a real tough professional racehorse.Being out of a Zabeel mare has helped him get over 2100m but may not be enough to get him over the line at 2400m.His sire Stryker won twice at distances of 1200 and 1350m and only up to Group 3 Level. Can he get the extra distance?

Im really warming to GET THAT JIVE if Opie stays on it and great chance however i will probably get shot down here the field doesnt have a real stars like Mongolian Khan or VSB so i think it will be alot more even this year

1 hour ago, Grant R said:

Im really warming to GET THAT JIVE if Opie stays on it and great chance however i will probably get shot down here the field doesnt have a real stars like Mongolian Khan or VSB so i think it will be alot more even this year

You won't get shot down by me Grant. Last year looked and was a two horse race. Many of the preceeding years there have also been standouts (Jimmy Choux/Silent Achiever etc)

This year wide open. On sectionals Provocative did well on Saturday, although at first watch it looked like just a run.

Your pick Get That Jive is one of the few with proven wet track credentials if the weather did turn. I'm sticking with Thunder Down Under. Will cover What's The Story and Humidor at decent odds.

Interesting race...

Rangipo has been my pick for some time and I have had some very nice collets. I look at it this way, Vinny has stuck with this horse where he could of ridden The Hassler for Roger James. The trainer (Pike) is one of the best and he wouldn't be starting the horse if he didn't think he wasn't able to stay the distance. Those too factors alone give me alot of confidence. The horse has good early speed to get a nice position and settles. 

I gave thought to putting a good bet on before Waikato for the derby but I sadly think to negative in respect to the horse not starting. I hate to put money on and see my horse not get to the race so like to bet on the day.

I am still in the Valley Girl camp along with Provocative. I understand VG had 7kgs and 5kgs less than Kawi and Stolen Dance last start respectively, however I can not see any of the other well fancied horses such as Get that Jive / Rangipo getting WFA weight allowances from Kawi and Stolen Dance and going past them like Valley Girl did.

16 hours ago, atubbs said:

I am still in the Valley Girl camp along with Provocative. I understand VG had 7kgs and 5kgs less than Kawi and Stolen Dance last start respectively, however I can not see any of the other well fancied horses such as Get that Jive / Rangipo getting WFA weight allowances from Kawi and Stolen Dance and going past them like Valley Girl did.

She is a big chance but the day she won at WFA was when the track was off and didn't suit many of the runners. Would wonder if it would have been the same result if it was a good track.

9 BMW NZ DERBY

2400m, $750000, 3YO SW, 05:22 p.m.

Starting Limit: 18. Ballots: 6

BRIGHTON 1

GET THAT JIVE (AUS) 1

RAGHU 1

RANGIPO (AUS) 1

VALLEY GIRL 5

SON OF MAHER (AUS) 6

CAPELLA 7

TAVAGO 8

THUNDER DOWN UNDER (AUS)  9

THE HASSLER 10

SPLENDIDO 11

PREDATOR 12

WHAT'S THE STORY 13

PROVOCATIVE 14

ANIMATOR (AUS) 15

PIECE OF KATE 16

HUMIDOR 17

PRODIGAL SON 18

EN SUITE 19

GOBSTOPPER

Do SON of MAHER and CAPELLA get another chance ?

CAPPELLA is like a couple of horses a while back that I could never get on the right day.

BRIGHTON is an interesting one, I made a nice little sum of his first two starts, then sorta kept him in mind but wasn't really concerned, but he leapt in to calculations with his last start and wouldn't surprize me. 

I think track condition may play a big part to be honest alot of the horses may struggle unless it stays fine for the rest of the week i still like Get  That jive but the way Valey girl ran at Te Rapa on that ground must be  shortening in the odds

According to Aidan Rodley's twitter feed...Capella will run in the Derby, Leith Innes to ride. Does this mean Provocative will not - or simply Innes has choosen Capella over Provocative???

Capella running certainly adds another genuine contender to the race!

2 hours ago, Yorkielad said:

9 BMW NZ DERBY

2400m, $750000, 3YO SW, 05:22 p.m.

Starting Limit: 18. Ballots: 6

BRIGHTON 1 - 6

GET THAT JIVE (AUS) 1 - 1

RAGHU 1- 5

RANGIPO (AUS) 1 - 13

VALLEY GIRL 5- 18

SON OF MAHER (AUS) 6- 17

CAPELLA 7- 11

TAVAGO - 12