RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Steve Paul

McCullum

I'm so pleased for him that he's been able to strut his stuff one last time. His form was disappointing in the recent limited over matches and I wasn't confident he would drag out another meaningful innings before he sailed off into the sunset. Would be great if he could do it all over again in the second innings and we go on and win but whatever happens he has today to look back on and cherish,just as we do. 

Winners aren't afraid to lose, losers are afraid to win,

Brendon McCullum certainly is a winner, he has probably been my favorite cricketer over the past decade, like he said the best form of defense is attack, the attacking fields he has set and his approach to the game, in the shorter version especially has seen him lead the Black Caps to some very memorable victories, and just reward for BC to score the fastest century ever in his last test match, win lose or draw he will go out a winner. great sportsman and very humble

Hopefully he will play the Big Bash at the end of the year

Von Cettes, I think he is playing for Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash.

I agree hesi that the 20/20 became tiresome some time ago but I am more of a traditionalist so prefer test cricket and am loving the way NZ play this form this is largely due to McCullum's influence along with Boult, Taylor and Southee who have thrived the past 2-3 seasons

20 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

In my opinion if NZ loses or draws this test then the record means diddly squat.A bit like all those NFL and Baseball players that hold this record and that record but don't hold a ring.

Not sure I agree. Not everyone remembers overall results but they do remember outstanding individual results. Can you remember the three match test series between Australia and NZ in Nov-Dec 2001? Can you remember the result? Four Kiwi's scored 100's in the first innings of the third test in Perth. Lou Vincent,Stephen Fleming,Nathan Astle and Adam Parore.

We obviously hope the Kiwi's go on and win this test to put the icing on McCullum's cake but it won't detract from his achievement if they don't.

For the record, the three match series in 2001 resulted in three draws. Sun still rose the next morning. 

33 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

In my opinion if NZ loses or draws this test then the record means diddly squat.A bit like all those NFL and Baseball players that hold this record and that record but don't hold a ring.

And if Lionel Messi, Christiano Ronaldo don't win a World Cup their career's will mean diddly squat... Yeah right.

The outcome of this test means diddly squat when comparing a legacy of without doubt the greatest captain NZ cricket has ever had, IMO of course. A great leader, batter, competitor who has left the game in far greater shape than when he started. I'm personally gutted he's not playing the T20 World Cup next month but respect his decision, and after yesterday what a way to go out.

Thanks for the memories Brendon, I hope you get a couple of champions on the race track as racing definitely needs the likes of yourself. LEGEND. 

33 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

And if Lionel Messi, Christiano Ronaldo don't win a World Cup their career's will mean diddly squat... Yeah right.

The outcome of this test means diddly squat when comparing a legacy of without doubt the greatest captain NZ cricket has ever had, IMO of course. A great leader, batter, competitor who has left the game in far greater shape than when he started. I'm personally gutted he's not playing the T20 World Cup next month but respect his decision, and after yesterday what a way to go out.

Thanks for the memories Brendon, I hope you get a couple of champions on the race track as racing definitely needs the likes of yourself. LEGEND. 

Comparing football players careers with a cricket players career is absurd.

12 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Comparing football players careers with a cricket players career is absurd.

Yeah your right, individual performances in cricket are FAR more important than in football where you need a decent team, which makes your original comments absurd.

The pressure and concentration of cricket is another level the closest thing to the pressure a batsman faces in the sport of soccer is a penalty shootout, the concentration of batting a day would be similar to a goalie facing penalty shots all day. It is a different dynamic to most sports and not something you can take for granted as most of the time in cricket it is a solitary sport and individual records are very significant whereas soccer is not so much

2 hours ago, hesi said:

McCullum's innings, a record innings yes, a freak innings yes, a great or vintage innings, I don't think so.

Lots of luck involved, there was the no ball let off, the very hard return catch, and lots of top edges that could have gone anywhere.

Test cricket is about batting time, and Aus have the batsmen to do that, Voges still to come.  In all likelihood, they will be still batting tomorrow night, with a lead of 200 plus, 2 days still to play, NZ with no opportunity to win.

In that context, McCullum's innings will be only of note in the record book

McCullum has been out of form of late by his standards and as we all know is playing his final test. Lot's of emotions ticking over and he surely felt pressure to deliver one last B Mac special. He was never going to bat time as he did at the Basin scoring 302 against India at this time of year in 2014. If he did have a stay at the crease yesterday it was always going to be a swashbuckling knock. It was a world away from a classic innings but will long live in the memories of those around the world fortunate enough to witness it. The record books will not be the only place that knock is remembered.

Regardless of the end result of this match it will be most remembered for what one retiring Kiwi legend did yesterday. 

I have only just caught up with the match on Cricinfo. Sounds like there is a bit of controversy and harsh words from the Aussies? I am only assuming it is from Australia because, you know, they are generally the ones behaving like bulbous knobs

We were lucky to be in with a sniff really. They dominated us in every aspect, we really aren't a good test side and apart from Williamson and Taylor we haven't shown any ability to score big against Australia. McCullum has scored 1 century against them in tests, Guptill average is pathetic, Southee is struggling as is Boult to a lesser degree, Latham and Watling should be our openers they are our future in tests but from Taylor down we would be poor.

Yep we were well beaten. It's mainly disappointing because, for the past year I'd been looking fwd to this series in NZ as one we could win. Once Starc and Johnson were gone I was even more confident. However it turned out we weren't even close.

I don't agree in righting us off all together. Boult and Southee are fairly high up in Test stats but they didn't really fire a shot this season, against Aus. Williamson also struggled until that final innings and Taylor was missing. Henry looks a promising bowler/No.8 batsman, Watling and Latham are solid in the positions they fill. 

I reckon the makings are there for a good team. They just need to fire.