RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mr Spyro

Tipping Horses

We all know it is an inexact science, but does anyone else get a knot in the stomach when blokes like Bevan  Sweeney  tip a horse you've backed ?   Applies especially  to horses you hadn't expected them to pick.  When they give them little chance you feel relieved and that much  more confident .  Alby Gain in old days was a corker.  He'd tip  a horse at Alex Park and it would rear sky high and take no part, give it no chance the next week would trot like Lyell Creek and bolt in .  Actually was at at Avondale one day when he tipped a horse to jump out and lead whole way. Bloke wandered along and asked me what Gain had tipped. When I told him he uttered some loud four word curses walked over and threw handful tickets in rubbish bin  before race started, saying well that's ****** that !! . Horse jumped out 12 lengths last and stayed that way.  Maybe overly superstitious but seems to happen fairly regularly.

52 minutes ago, puha said:

When did Bevan S last tip a winner ?

Be a while.  You just get that sinking feeling when they tip anything you're on. Steve Davis excluded . Remember a few years ago now him  telling punters to get on a horse at Avondale with everything they had. Incredibly dropped from $ 75 down to $ 16 in 35 minutes.  It bolted in and heard  on grapevine stable was less than impressed

52 minutes ago, puha said:

When did Bevan S last tip a winner ?

2 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Who would know--can never understand what the mumbler is saying, so that's why I watch Trackside with the mute on, unless Steve Davis is on.

And don't forget the huffing and puffing he does.  Surely they can find someone else to do the job.

My favourite tipsters are Rodley and Laing.  Week in week out their 'Good Thing' for the day on TFC gets rolled.  Lay them and reap the rewards.  Shocking tipsters and to think we are paying them wages for these rubbish tips.

Popplewell tips a lot of losers, as well.  Hard to make anything laying them though, as he has usually tipped around eighty percent of the runners in each race and it's hard to tell which one he actually has on top.

Agree with nearly everything thus said , however I do believe unless we get a hands on industry person it would be hard to replace Aiden & Stu.

The Saturday studio show is probably at its best at the moment ( IMO ) however the track coverage with endless dribble all afternoon only to have to go over it again the next day. These presenters need to be made accountable for crap tipping........... lets have a debrief and profit and loss discussion.

Otaki yesterday was cracker for tips on the Quaddie & pick six , I would put money on a 6 year old with a dart board could have tipped better,BUT hey its like this every week !!! PIcking 4 horses in each race with most of the fields thats nearly 40% of the runners and half the place getters pay $1.30 - $1.60.

Sweeney is a shocker but of the others they are not too bad all round to be fair (talking gallops here). Extremely difficult for anyone to tip the card.

Basically they are there to help the lazy or those that don't have time to do the form plus any newbies. Updating information and obtaining pre-race interviews helps those who have.

Week in, week out, good tracks, bad tracks it is not easy and whilst some are better than others it is up to us to digest and disseminate what is presented and it is then over to you whether to use or discard the information. No one is being forced to have a bet.   

You must be trying to get a prize out of them Ted.  Apart from George Simon and Steve Davis none of them could tip their hat.

Are the interviews you talk about the ones like Debbie Sweeney telling Brendan Popplewell that night Voyage was her best runner all day on Thursday, just before it got beaten 12.9 lengths by its stablemate?

This is not an exact science chaps so you need to keep your expectations in check.

Use the presenters for information, that little something you might have missed or not known, and then hope the information is accurate, and ignore their tips.

As for trainers, some have no idea apparently, but others are quite useful.

i won't bother naming the hyper wafflers but it's pretty obvious who they are, but I will name some of those worth listening to, mostly just for fun and entertainment.

Bear in mind this is an affectionate piss take and all trainers work very hard for little reward and thus they shouldn't be criticisesd, much, well maybe a little bit.

Sean Ritchie, because he makes sense and sounds as though he's actually thought about it, which he probably hasn't but he'd be an excellent politician.

Dummy....oh that's right....

Pitty.....because he tips everything and even a blind squirell gets the odd acorn.

Richardson, because he only wins one black type per year from his 877 participants but it's fun to watch his ad's on Trackside then listen to his predictions, and then go back something else

Roger James, because everything begins with "look" then a long pregnant pause until his obviously turgid brain engages, then he tips 97.2% of his horses to win the Derby because "look..he's a cracking 3 year old Brendan..and look, he can go on to the Derby after this 7k Waipa maiden...." Of course he is occasionally correct about the Derby,  that's noted.

Jelly Williams, because one day soon he'll explode like 'Fat Bastard' did and I want to see what's inside him, or if anyone bothers giving him mouth to mouth or just calls in the front end loader.

Peardy, because I studied Darwin 

Pam Robson, she only gets in front of the camera every second year but it's worth the wait to see what color hair the old witch has.

Murray Baker, just so you can thank the Lord you're not as miserable as him, even though he's won about 100 G 1 races, and has a champion most years. WTF would he be like if he had no luck ?

Adrian Clark, because I'm a fan of elective surgery and his charisma bypass operation has been an outstanding success.

James Bridge, the Hugh Grant of Byerley. Tall, good looking, but he's trying to run a V8 on two stroke.

And before I hand over to others who'll no doubt have picked up on various quirks and idiosyncrasies, I'll take a risk and raise the temperature by firstly declaring I have neither an interest in, or affection for them, but the Te Akau front men are the best talent on Trackside. Stevie because he's so decent, and that young fella Richards because he's got the look  he's very savvy, and he comes across as grounded, very much in control of his emotions, and he doesn't make wild exaggerated predictions, whether it's after a G1 classic or a mid week maiden.

Next please....

Swings and roundabouts Bimbo (refer Carnaby thread.) You can't blame presenters for what their interview subjects have to say. Add in to the fact horses can make complete liars out of you. As Steve Davis says "It is not a complete science."

Look, listen, weigh up everything, do your homework and make your own decisions. No one to blame but yourself if you get it wrong at the end of the day.    

40 minutes ago, Midget said:

This is not an exact science chaps so you need to keep your expectations in check.

Use the presenters for information, that little something you might have missed or not known, and then hope the information is accurate, and ignore their tips.

As for trainers, some have no idea apparently, but others are quite useful.

i won't bother naming the hyper wafflers but it's pretty obvious who they are, but I will name some of those worth listening to, mostly just for fun and entertainment.

Bear in mind this is an affectionate piss take and all trainers work very hard for little reward and thus they shouldn't be criticisesd, much, well maybe a little bit.

Sean Ritchie, because he makes sense and sounds as though he's actually thought about it, which he probably hasn't but he'd be an excellent politician.

Dummy....oh that's right....

Pitty.....because he tips everything and even a blind squirell gets the odd acorn.

Richardson, because he only wins one black type per year from his 877 participants but it's fun to watch his ad's on Trackside then listen to his predictions, and then go back something else

Roger James, because everything begins with "look" then a long pregnant pause until his obviously turgid brain engages, then he tips 97.2% of his horses to win the Derby because "look..he's a cracking 3 year old Brendan..and look, he can go on to the Derby after this 7k Waipa maiden...." Of course he is occasionally correct about the Derby,  that's noted.

Jelly Williams, because one day soon he'll explode like 'Fat Bastard' did and I want to see what's inside him, or if anyone bothers giving him mouth to mouth or just calls in the front end loader.

Peardy, because I studied Darwin 

Pam Robson, she only gets in front of the camera every second year but it's worth the wait to see what color hair the old witch has.

Murray Baker, just so you can thank the Lord you're not as miserable as him, even though he's won about 100 G 1 races, and has a champion most years. WTF would he be like if he had no luck ?

Adrian Clark, because I'm a fan of elective surgery and his charisma bypass operation has been an outstanding success.

James Bridge, the Hugh Grant of Byerley. Tall, good looking, but he's trying to run a V8 on two stroke.

And before I hand over to others who'll no doubt have picked up on various quirks and idiosyncrasies, I'll take a risk and raise the temperature by firstly declaring I have neither an interest in, or affection for them, but the Te Akau front men are the best talent on Trackside. Stevie because he's so decent, and that young fella Richards because he's got the look  he's very savvy, and he comes across as grounded, very much in control of his emotions, and he doesn't make wild exaggerated predictions, whether it's after a G1 classic or a mid week maiden.

Next please....

All good stuff. You seem to have developed a very eloquent turn of phrase late in life Kevin.

Unless of course...

FYI Aidan Rodley was very keen on Stolen Dance yesterday, read the race exactly how it it happened and when asked how he'd play the race with $100 he said put it all on Stolen Dance. I mean they're tipping so we shouldn't expect them to get it right every time. 

The NI presenters are terrible tipsters.

That boy Richards is one out of the bag that's for sure Midget. Just listen to his pre and post race interviews regarding Shillelagh yesterday. Was so articulate, expressed his confidence without bragging or being over the top, and then professionally stated what the horse would do in the future with reference to the owner Chris Grace. Combine with what he will learn off Autridge and he is going to be one hell of a trainer!

Swoopa, you were lucky you were up against me yesterday in the FA comp.

Ten races and I couldn't even pick anything that even placed. They were not even outsiders either.

You could put it down to the fact I am not a punter, don't follow form, breeding, sectionals etc etc, but follow jockeys, numbers and blind hunches. Oh, and only looked at the fields for 15 minutes before making my selections.

Perhaps those trackside guys use a similar system.

Nimue ran a comp yesterday on ten races split between Ellerslie and Wanganui with $10 ew being placed on selectors's horse in each of the ten races with one race selected as a best bet where $20 ew was placed.

44 entrants and the average collect was $194.00. (highest $505.00) I decided to look how some of the public selectors would have gone using their first pick and where applicable any best bet. Any best bet not found went on to the third comp race (as selected at random by Nimue on another thread).

There were six selectors that had selections listed for those races and this is how they would have ended up using their first pick:

Aidan Rodley:       $238.00

Alan Caddy:          $203.00

Neil Davis (Formpro):   $175.00

Racing Inc:            $152.00

Stuart Laing:         $81.00  

John Jenkins:        $53.00

Brendan Popplewell and George Simon selected solely at Ellerslie. The same formula on nine races were:

George Simon:   $277.00

Brendan Popplewell:    $215.00

Similarly Bevan Sweeney and Tom Wood selected solely at Wanganui and the result was:

Bevan Sweeney:      $149.00

Tom Wood:             $137.00

19 hours ago, Gordy55 said:

Swoopa, you were luciny you were up against me yesterday in the FA comp.

Ten races and I couldn't even pick anything that even placed. They were not even outsiders either.

You could put it down to the fact I am not a punter, don't follow form, breeding, sectionals etc etc, but follow jockeys, numbers and blind hunches. Oh, and only looked at the fields for 15 minutes before making my selections.

Perhaps those trackside guys use a similar system.

Gordy, yes I certainly was lucky!My two least favourite tracks In NZ, and see we have Ellerslie Next week "great".when are they goingTo rip that unpredictable turf up?.i don't seem to find the time for studying the field also.As usual I went for a bit of value but didn't come off this time so dart board out for both of us next week.

Maybe Ellerslie Is paying me back for filling the duffle bag On the 1st January 1987 (the cup runneth over).

Best of luck for next week