RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Monday Trivia For The Oldies

Q1 is Uncle Remus - Wellington Guineas, Wellington Derby, Wellington Stakes ?

Doing some urgent research here so can't spend much time on this but I would love to.

Correct PJ, well done.

The Wellington Derby (2400m) was run from 1966 - 1978. Some very good horses won this race.

The winners were:

Peterman

Star Belle

Ben Lomond

Lord Cheval

Devil Bay

Kirrama

llananthony

Peg's Pride

Mister Pompous

Kennan

Balmerino

Silver Lad

Uncle Remus  

What about my answer to question 6..BRIGHT CHIEF and i think Scharre or a name like it was the trainer.

Sorry Crusty, I missed this.

Sorry again though, not the correct answer. 

Michael Molloy won the race as you advised beating this horse by a nose after being held up. If it helps Red Siren was a half head away in third place.  . 

Questions 6,7,8 & 10 to go. 

What about my answer to question 6..BRIGHT CHIEF and i think Scharre or a name like it was the trainer.

Just going back to your answer there Crusty. Bright Chief ran second a year later in 1968. Loofah won the Cup and Il Tempo ran third. 

QUESTION 6.....PALISADE trained by SKIPPER WILSON.

Well done Crusty. Just failed to give Bob Skelton another win the race. Palisade was a good open class galloper, among his wins at Tremtham was a Summer Handicap (2400m) and two Chalmers Handicaps (3200m). 

Just Qs 7.8 & 10 to go. 

QUESTION 10....Don't know the answer  for sure however i think IILUMQUH  came back from Aussie. 

Dam was SUNBRIDE and 2 others from her were GENERAL COMMAND and STRAIGHT DRAW.

Q7 I think you mean Crusty. Correct the dam was Sunbride and you have named the three horses however it was General Command the horse that returned as a 7yo and had his first NZ start at Trentham running third. Among his wins was the 1967 Metropolitan and the 1968 Sydney Cup.

Illumquh won the 1960 Zipping Classic and 1960 Caulfield Cup and placed in the 1960 and 1963 Melbourne Cups. Straight Draw, well he also won the Metropolitan and 1958 Sydney Cup (10 years before General Command. He also won an Autumn Stakes but his big claim to fame was the 1957 Melbourne Cup    So you can see why Sunbride won NZ Broodmare of the Year twice.  

So well done Crusty.

Just Q8 & 10 to go and I can't believe no one has got Q10 to be fair.   

question 10.Have no idea but GREY WAY won 50 odd races so i'm thinking some of them could have been at Trentham.

Q10.

Correct Guess Crusty. Grey Way won 9 races at Trentham including setting a track record for 1400m. At his first start at Trentham he ran 13th of 21 in the 2yo Wakefield Stakes and at start two there he ran 12th of 15 as a 3yo behind Show Gate in the Telegraph Handicap.  

Just Q8 to answer. The day was significant for two reasons. One you can locate and one you won't. 

Question 8... 1974 battle heights 1st..Manchero 2nd   Rose Mellay 3rd.

Brian Andrews on MANCHERO protested that Battle Heights ridden by A.J.Tweedie had taken his line.

Head on confirmed that he had but the winning margin of 1 and a half lengths was to big to have overturned result.Tweedie got 5 days.

Question 8... 1974 battle heights 1st..Manchero 2nd   Rose Mellay 3rd.

Brian Andrews on MANCHERO protested that Battle Heights ridden by A.J.Tweedie had taken his line.

Head on confirmed that he had but the winning margin of 1 and a half lengths was to big to have overturned result.Tweedie got 5 days.

Q8. Well done Crusty. The protest went on for an hour and a quarter and as you say there was no change to placings.

The significance being it was the Centenary Wellington Cup. The other significance being I got married in Lower Hutt after the races. Johnny Harris my best man and Garry Phillips was groomsman. A number of the central districts riders didn't ride in the last race and Bruce Marsh was late as he had won the Telegraph Handicap on Show Gate.

Monday Trivia all done and dusted. Well done all.   

Congratulations to you and Mrs Ted on 41 years.

An old work mate of mine never liked going to Cup Day at Trentham because he met his ex on Cup Day in the 80s. He said that it cost him 10 times more than he ever lost on the horses.