RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Peter Jenkins

Waikato Times crap story

It's a pity this item, which appears to have been written by the court reporter, wasn't run past the Times racing editor (is it still Aidan Rodley ?) before publication.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/67496471/Trainer-admits-drugging-horse-but-denies-it-was-part-of-a-bid-to-sell-it

The inaccuracies include

1) Naming the horse which fell as Lucky Unicorn, a colt we bred before he retired to Cambridge Stud and is now in WA. The faller was a son of his I believe.

2) Describing the administration of bute as "doping". Doping is a practice done to improve horse performance when racing, Bute is administered as an aid to recovery. It only masks pain in a racing situation of which the worst outcome is a fracture while galloping (as seems to have happened here).

3) Thirdly the biggest "scoop" of the story was that Brett is of course James Macdonald's father which would have made for a bigger story even though it shouldn't as it had nothing to do with James.

Brett is an excellent horseman and this sounds more like a case of mistaken equine identity within a stable while giving medication despite the attempts by the journo - one Jamie Small - to try and beat upon the story and the racing industry in general.

You can get a glimpse of Small's political leanings in this social media post.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?

story_fbid=1037895202894180&id=128729960477380

The extreme left are out to close down horse racing and the industry needs to insist stories such as this are handled with greater balance. I would be interested in other opinions particularly Aidan Rodley who I should point out is not responsible for the item

Peter - I had also identified a couple of the things you have posted about when I read this so agreed with these immediately - the name of the horse - sloppy effort (clearly wrongly ID'd to anyone who is familiar at all with NZ TB breeding) and the emotive use of the word "doping" when other words such as "treating" or "administering" would have been more appropriate, IMO.

It was an article which "editorialised" the facts somewhat - tried to tell us how to think/react  - rather than reporting it in a factual manner and leaving the reader to draw his/her own conclusions.  This is an unfortunate trend in modern journalism.

As for Mr McDonald's horsemanship - I don't have knowledge of this.  As an acquaintance/friend of his I expect you would know more than many of us - and also that you would feel a degree of loyalty towards him.

However if the reportage of his assertions/testimony and those of his partner/employee is accurate - their accounts seemed confused/confusing and at times contradictory.  This is bound to leave anyone wondering what the truth was.

From what was reported of the evidence given, one would be excused if one was left wondering as to whether bute was over-used in the stable, used appropriately and used with sufficient care.

As for your political claims - of course there is a lobby which wants to ban racing - to characterise this as the left of politics - might be a bit simplistic I think.

Mr McDonald will not be the first (or unfortunately the last) to trial a horse on bute or some other anti-inflammatory with analgesic properties.  It is a dangerous and reprehensible action for any trainer to undertake deliberately.

I note his denial about "specific" (that is the word I recall from the story but I stand to be corrected) arrangements being entered into re the sale of the horse which broke down - take that as you will as to whether a sale was on the cards and whether this performance at trials would prove influential to that end.  

The story, on the face of it, is detrimental to racing in the public eye but I hope some benefit will accrue - that it will give pause for thought for those trainers who have used the drug in this way in the past and would consider doing so again.

On this occasion the outcome (I used this word rather than "result" - as the true cause-effect relationship in this case can never be established) - was drastic - fatal for the horse and near-fatal for the rider.

In other cases there have been deleterious, though less dramatic outcomes - such as sore horses given bute on a trainer's diagnosis of being "shinny" - then trialled - only to have to spend the next year in the paddock recovering from the resulting injury.

I do hope rather than blind denials from individuals and the industry cheer-leaders, we manage to take something from this to improve our sport/industry for the future.  If we don't, we (horses and humans) all stand to lose. 

Regards

Jess

What do you mean the worst outcome is a fracture.

It bloody well near killed a young rider.

The story itself has inaccuracies in it but pretty minor compared to what the whole story is about.

Aiden Rodley no longer racing editor.

Quite correct crusty. I was referring to the worst outcome for the horse specifically. The potential for a fatality is self-evident.

Jess you make some good points especially about modern journalistic style and ethics or the lack of. My comment about Macdonald as a horseman does not relate directly to the case. I cannot defend any transgression of the rules as has occurred here nor would I want to. It was simply an observation that this is no inexperienced or part-time racing participant. Recent drug cheats here in Australia have been given punishments designed to end their careers to serve as a warning to others. I am as confused as you over statements made in the article. Who is the new Editor of the WDT ?

The anti-racing lobby in Australia is far stronger than in NZ and definitely left-wing leaning. You may speak with more accuracy on how it sits in NZ. Here, they ring fence a whole range of left wing political idealists as a fertile field to plough for their cause. I could bore you for hours with profiling information regarding their activists and the tangible scientifically proven links between zealous animal activists and negative mental health.

Thanks for the response Peter.

I can imagine you're right (or should I say "correct"!)  - that plenty of that lobby hail from the left - but of course there are also plenty of left-leaning racing fans - and further -  our "right" government here in NZ is happy to appoint muppet ministers to the portfolio and see the industry go to hell in a handcart.  So much for politics huh!

I think we've taken exception to similar features of the article and the way it's written.

Journalists being what and who they are - not all of the ppl or issues are going to be treated fairly and in a balanced way all of the time.

Perhaps we should also reflect on how much disappointment/opprobrium we should feel towards the article and its writer - and how much should be reserved for the actions and events which gave rise to it....

Shooting the messenger and all that .....

Cheers

J

PS:  pleased you still post here Peter despite your "defection" across the Tasman ;)  - it's with some sadness that I imagine you have had few regrets about that move from a professional/industry point of view ...   

Could it be also cost cutting and getting journo s that have no feel for racing.Hawkes Bay has a shocker covering the racing his stories and lack of knowledge are cringe material

Agree Puha,

I cringe ever time I read an article by Andrea Singh. His blatant lack of knowledge is appalling towards Racing is laughable.

After all It's A Dundeel is apparently a 4yo Mare.

I cancelled the paper as I found it was the only section I use to enjoy.

Thank god for Race Cafe and people like yourself and Jess and many others who give there points of view.

Have found the Sunday news lift out is an excellent read now.Had stopped buying the Sunday papers as the racing news was limited but the Sunday News have really lifted their game.

Forget about bagging the reporting. It was abysmal but the core of the case is what we should be focussing on. MacDonald's behaviour ( and his partner trying to cover for him) was reprehensible and could have cost a young jockey his life. I personally am not interested in what type of "horseman" MacDonald may or not be--that consideration evaporates with his disregard for animal welfare.

Peter you say that the extreme left  are out to close down horse racing well we have a right wing government which is certainly sending us that way

One of the most comprehensive policy statements on the racing industry I have seen was written by Sue Bradford from the Greens a few Elections ago. She had an incredible knowledge of racing and you do not get more left wing than Sue.

It's a pity this item, which appears to have been written by the court reporter, wasn't run past the Times racing editor (is it still Aidan Rodley ?) before publication.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/67496471/Trainer-admits-drugging-horse-but-denies-it-was-part-of-a-bid-to-sell-it

The inaccuracies include

1) Naming the horse which fell as Lucky Unicorn, a colt we bred before he retired to Cambridge Stud and is now in WA. The faller was a son of his I believe.

2) Describing the administration of bute as "doping". Doping is a practice done to improve horse performance when racing, Bute is administered as an aid to recovery. It only masks pain in a racing situation of which the worst outcome is a fracture while galloping (as seems to have happened here).

3) Thirdly the biggest "scoop" of the story was that Brett is of course James Macdonald's father which would have made for a bigger story even though it shouldn't as it had nothing to do with James.

Brett is an excellent horseman and this sounds more like a case of mistaken equine identity within a stable while giving medication despite the attempts by the journo - one Jamie Small - to try and beat upon the story and the racing industry in general.

You can get a glimpse of Small's political leanings in this social media post.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?

story_fbid=1037895202894180&id=128729960477380

The extreme left are out to close down horse racing and the industry needs to insist stories such as this are handled with greater balance. I would be interested in other opinions particularly Aidan Rodley who I should point out is not responsible for the item

This story was poor, but journo-blaming is a cop out. You cannot expect mild coverage when a trainer handles his operation in a way that allows disasters like that. Personally I feel that if the writer was actually out to get racing he would have weaved in past or related incidents. A better journo might have for that matter, without political intentions!

The onus is on the industry to clean itself up and to avoid risks like this at all costs. It's lazy to say the 'extreme left' (by which you mean who?) are out to close it down. From what I can see, many want it cleaned up. It's a high value export industry that trades off our clean green image etc etc not entirely at odds with sustainable business ideals of left parties. I would rather have their concerns about the industry than the laissez faire attitude of the current govt.

Again I reiterate that I was not defending the indefensible at any stage. people can have skill at what they do but still transgress seriously - e.g. Lance Armstrong. My point was about the journalism. The facts of the story speak for themselves.

Ellenbrook (and some others), my comments about the left have been interpreted in a strict political party sense but were made with reference to a wider social & political viewpoint. The key group in Australia trying to close down horse racing put adverts on billboards and the side of buses in major cities outraging that 18,000 thoroughbreds are sent to the abattoir annually. People believe what they see in print (especially on big signs). Their aim is to sway the general public with lies. The annual foal crop here is around 12,000 so simple maths will tell you this is a ridiculous figure. The number is in reality a few hundred. Now a few hundred are a few hundred too many but wanting more policing in your suburb and stating that there were 34 murders there last year destroys your credibility. Lying to achieving your objective is immoral no matter what the cause. However when it comes to horse destruction numbers the public has no idea which figures are correct. This activism probably hasn't hit NZ yet but it will. These are the same people who will outlaw zoos and pet ownership eventually. Their co-organisations such as PETA are the biggest killers of pet animals in the world. Try and explain that logic.

What is worse is that the RSPCA in Victoria are now repeating these figures (lies) through their social media pages as though they are facts. People tend to believe verbatim, statements made by organisations such as this. Overall this poses a threat to the livelihoods of those who make a living from racing and associated activities.

I have no truck with the disappointment in what successive political regimes have done (or not) for racing in NZ. It was one of the reasons I left. They have singularly failed to address the major issues besetting the industry for decades now.

I fully understand that animal activists are playing with misleading figures but part of the problem is that I've tried to find those correct figures myself and they are not easy to come by. Why allow it to look murky when this type of thing should be front-footed by recording and documenting numbers and accidents etc, it's called accountability. I would like to know them then know how it can be improved. Get some data visualisations out of it and get them out onto social media or at least accessible reports. Then you have recourse to get that lobby to withdraw their claims. You don't want activists telling a bad story about racing? Then the racing industry needs to do a better job of telling it's story to the public as well. And that's just the negatives..don't get me started on the lack of opportunities taken for positive coverage!

ellenbrook...

You raise a valid issue regarding the integrity of the racing industry.

This is now an industry that lies first and then looks at the facts, and then lies again...in my opinion.

The greyhound code leads the way in this regard, having actively taken steps to fictionalise their official stipendiary steward reports.

If those that seek the end of the racing industry ever succeed, it will be because of those involved in the racing industry itself...and I don't mean just those responsible for the running of the industry.

I value the comments you have made in the thread.

We are lucky to have, involved in the RaceCafe Forums, decent people who make valuable contributions to the racing industry and society itself, I respect these people and the enjoyment I derive from reading their posts, and the inspiration so derived, helps to keep me going...especially when I don't agree and feel compelled to state my views...which is always...

All the best.

Ashoka

While the Waikato Times story may be blown up, it still ends up with the racing industry yet again

getting load of bad publicity. How long will it be before the industry leaders start 'front footing' problem areas

and promoting good news stories, along with racing personalities .   Doping, ill treatment, and especially

whip use  create bad images and need to be addressed.   Hard to convince casual onlookers that whip use

looks good and does not harm.  It is worth looking at top jockeys around the  world who hardly use the whip even

in tight finishes - watch Hong Kong racing - yet in N Z it seems a necessary part of a riders physc to thrash

a horse, especially in front of the grandstand.

Peter your posts are ones I make a point of reading as you have a wealth of background in the industry and are generous in sharing that knowledge.  On this occasion your comments are off target.  I have known Jamie since the day he was born.  He has grown up with horses and animals and animal welfare is something that is not driven by "left leaning" views but out of genuine concern for animal welfare.  

Your insinuations of a leftist-motivated campaign are so far off the mark to be laughable.  And your reference to a "scoop" because of Brett's relationship to James is bizarre.  Absolutely no reference was made of that relationship - other than by you.

Sadly your post comes across as one of trying to shoot the messenger