RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

Paul Moroney/David Ellis

Paul Moroney has launched a blistering attack on David Ellises claim in his Te Akau TV Advertorial that he has inspected EVERY yearling entered at the Karaka Yearling Sales.Paul claims that this is physically impossible.I am not taking sides but I find this situation on the eve of the sales to be puzzling.

Hasn't inspected our Alamosa, but then we have just pulled him out as we are to keep him. Was considered one of the nicest A's the vet had seen and a full brother to the top priced filly at the select sale last year.

I agree it is not physically possible but then he probably has agents who also look on his behalf. He is the biggest NZ spender.

Paul Moroney has launched a blistering attack on David Ellises claim in his Te Akau TV Advertorial that he has inspected EVERY yearling entered at the Karaka Yearling Sales.Paul claims that this is physically impossible.I am not taking sides but I find this situation on the eve of the sales to be puzzling.

Don't think there will be enough material for a Russell Crowe movie. Pity really because a good "dust-up" could spice up our industry.

C'mon boys!  This is shaping up to be some sort of unseemly "pissing contest" (excuse the crudeness of the term but it's just so descriptive!)

Perhaps Paul just took exception to a bit of Ellis-hyperbole ... it really would be surprising if one individual had physically inspected every yearling from each of the catalogues ...

Biggest ... best ... most expensive .... but most astute???

Speaking of the man, always interests me to see how David Ellis gets such enormous press and kudos (admittedly helped by his wife being one of the tv comperes of the sale .....j for simply buying the most expensive yearlings.  Do the results on the trackreflect this?  Does he who spends the most win the most?

I actually love to see a canny player with a great eye for a young horse, who has modest means, spends accordingly - and picks yearlings which turn out to be winners.  Now THAT'S what I admire  :)

C'mon boys!  This is shaping up to be some sort of unseemly "pissing contest" (excuse the crudeness of the term but it's just so descriptive!)

Perhaps Paul just took exception to a bit of Ellis-hyperbole ... it really would be surprising if one individual had physically inspected every yearling from each of the catalogues ...

Biggest ... best ... most expensive .... but most astute???

Speaking of the man, always interests me to see how David Ellis gets such enormous press and kudos (admittedly helped by his wife being one of the tv comperes of the sale .....j for simply buying the most expensive yearlings.  Do the results on the trackreflect this?  Does he who spends the most win the most?

I actually love to see a canny player with a great eye for a young horse, who has modest means, spends accordingly - and picks yearlings which turn out to be winners.  Now THAT'S what I admire  :)

And the "canny players" of the present are Tony Pike and the team around him and Robt Dawe.

P.S. That is in no way denigrating Paul Moroney who has a fantastic record over a very long time or Paul Willetts who seems to be able to buy good horses for very little money. 

Gubba - where was the blistering attack launched precisely?  I'd be interseted to read ...if it'sin written form ...

Cheers, J

I'm sure a while back someone ran some figures on some of the big yearling buyers / syndicators - not sure how it all ended up ... haven't got the time to do the exercise myself - interesting though it would be!

from Facebook

Te Akau Tuesday Update

David writes:

Last night at Te Akau Stud, Mark Walker and I sat down to reflect on the time that we have had together and it was not long before we worked out that it was literally 25 years to the day that we started working together at Te Akau Stud! So out came the champagne and a true celebration of what has been a wonderful success story. Karyn arrived home late after chairing the Waikato Racing Club Board meeting and we were lucky that our youngest daughter Julia-Rose was here to join in the celebration.

It is wonderful having Mark home from Singapore for the next two weeks for the sales. Today is my last day at the farm because tomorrow I will be at Karaka for the next ten days. Firstly I will be having a look at our second-look at horses and I have a small handful still to have a first look at before the sales.

I am frequently asked what is my view on social media. Well lately I have been taking a pounding on social media and I really love this because it generates discussion and more and more people read our website which means we sell more and more horses. It is always very curious that this goes on primarily around sales’ time – you have to wonder about motives don’t you? The bottom line is we always focus on what we do best – buying top class yearlings and believing in the New Zealand industry – looking after our wonderful owners and bringing out the very best in their horses for them!

After all we have a record in the last 11 years that no body certainly in New Zealand could compare with. For example four Champion 2YOs, four Champion 3YOs, five New Zealand Bloodstock Fillies of the Year, two Champion Sprinters of the Year, one Champion Middle Distance Horse of the year, one Champion New Zealand Stayer of the year plus many other highest rated two year old fillies, highest rated three year old fillies and highest rated three year old colts that are not included in this tally.

So the record that we have is something that we are truly proud of and I love the way the opposition try and distort the statistics but thankfully in horse racing there is a winning post every Saturday and that winning post does not tell lies.

This morning I am walking with a real spring in my step because we have just had 18 mls of really good rain that will help green the paddocks up I am sure and the paddocks are going to be in just absolutely pristine condition for the yearlings that arrive in from the sale.

The horses that we intend to buy this year will be the same as last year. If you want an early two year old that is burnt out by Christmas you are best not to buy it through me because our goal is to buy horses that compete from 1600m to 2400m. Horses that race as 3 year olds, 4 year olds, 5 year olds and 6 year olds. Sure we will get the odd two year old winner like we have had with Windborne and Unsurpassed last week but generally we do not put pressure on our two year olds until they tell us they are ready.

The New Zealand Bloodstock sale complex at Karaka is undoubtedly the best in the world so if you are anywhere near Auckland do come out and see us. Give me a call, I would love to have a chat about the sales and help you in any way that I can. I have seen some really top quality horses in the sale that I will be looking to win Sires Produces with, 2000 Guineas with and be competitive to take to Australia and Singapore as older horses. So give Karyn or myself a call at Te Akau Stud 07 825 4701.

Today we are drafting fat lambs at Te Akau Stud and after all the rain we have had the sun is now out so you can just imagine how the grass is growing.

If you want to keep up to date with more of our news, see our website www.teakauracing.com or sign up here for exclusive updates, coming soon! http://eepurl.com/baXhuf

I can't seem to find the study that was done some time ago on buyers and their success rates but think Susan Archer may complied it. In any case Paul Moroney came out on top with daylight running for 2nd and 3rd! It also showed the huge difference in how much money the big players were spending and again Paul came out on top. 

By the way I do not run the Paul Moroney Fan Club or am not in any way associated with him, just deal in the facts and say what you like about him and his personal failings (stones and glass houses spring to mind here!) his record speaks for itself.

Just wish I had the moola to chuck his way to buy me a horse at this sale!  :rolleyes:

chelseacol

a measured response from Ellis is what one would expect from a very good sales/marketer.

Bruce Sherwin + Guy Mulcaster + Raffles Racing + Pike Stables = Very Notable Success at 2, 3 years and above over all distances.

Now, if the above combo decided to branch out their operations and syndicate, then that would put NZ Racing and breeding on the World map - their results speak for themselves.  Sadly, outside of the domestic self interests, no one really cares about "NZ titles or success"