RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Sighted

For Mine

They're all saying it and it is very irritating: 

And so to the latest vocal tic plaguing New Zealand sport.

Instead of holding a simple opinion, like saying, "that was offside," New Zealand commentators have started adding the superfluous "for me" - or the far more mangled - "for mine" - in front of virtually everything they say.

"For mine, that's offside." It's such a debasement of the language they should be tried by the Oxford Dictionary World Court.

"Tempo" is my pet peeve in the racing game - I think Rodley or Sweeney started it and now they're all using it.  

Comments like that horse "will be the tempo in the race" - no, that horse might set the tempo but it will be the leader.  Or "can see it sitting on tempo" - no, it might sit outside the leader.

I also see Popplewell's pronunciation of "performance" (ie. preformance) is starting to catch on - must be an evolution type thing - like picking up an Aussie twang if you're surrounded by Aussies for long enough.

"Tempo" is my pet peeve in the racing game - I think Rodley or Sweeney started it and now they're all using it.  

Comments like that horse "will be the tempo in the race" - no, that horse might set the tempo but it will be the leader.  Or "can see it sitting on tempo" - no, it might sit outside the leader.

I also see Popplewell's pronunciation of "performance" (ie. preformance) is starting to catch on - must be an evolution type thing - like picking up an Aussie twang if you're surrounded by Aussies for long enough.

on pronuciation or 'murdering' words..that Daryll bloke (not Anderson) on trackside when saying the place name of Hawera...says Harawuh

instead of Ha-Where-Raah

it was So painful to witness when he hosted their meeting the other day...jeeeze

"In transit" is one of my pet peeves. Horse had a good run "in transit"..Sounds trendy but it doesn't make the description anymore interesting than it actually was or make the speaker sound more onto it..  It's just bla bla bla...for mine ;)

My biggest pet peeve is word that the lovely Elizabeth Whelan uses on trackside that seems to be catching on with others. The word is "Today"..Unfortunately Liz cant say the word without murdering it. "Today" has become "To..DAY"

And yes they employ anyone as front persons on TV. I would have thought as part of their employment requirement that their English was up to scratch, just as Karen's is. Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you the breeding of all winners before they proceed with their other waffle. Mind you I couldn't do their job.

The chap on the radio is the best. His name slips my mind, Muzza I think. Guaranteed he tells you what the winner is by and out of. Full marks to him.

For mine your travelling pretty well if this is a major worry in your life. terrorists blowing innocent folk up on the other side of the globe,ebola killing thousands and poor us having to put up with bad pronounciation. Reality check gentlemen.

Ebola is nothing, just a beat up by the frenzied media. Malaria kills a thousand for every Ebola death. My pet hate is calling the starting gates the machine.

crikey so let's not discuss anything except terrorists and people living in famine areas.

Sarcasm is angers ugly fat cousin.

You can "discuss" what you like. I love a discussion and/or debate.

I see this as Petty "bitching" to be honest. Something for the high school kids not grown men.

It doesn't effect your punting in any shape or form and seriously isn't worth worrying about. Like I said if this is your biggest problem in life your travelling pretty sweetly.

Press the mute button and it all goes away.

Sarcasm is angers ugly fat cousin.

You can "discuss" what you like. I love a discussion and/or debate.

I see this as Petty "bitching" to be honest. Something for the high school kids not grown men.

It doesn't effect your punting in any shape or form and seriously isn't worth worrying about. Like I said if this is your biggest problem in life your travelling pretty sweetly.

Press the mute button and it all goes away.

I don't really see it as petty bitching Michael and it doesn't seem as though it is worth getting so uptight about  They are observations that folk are making after listening to presenters on a racing show, a racing show that I believe would want to attract viewers, entertain them and retain them, and they are discussing it on a forum.   If the misuse, overuse, incorrect use and abuse of the english language by presenters doesn't bother you then add to the thread by saying so and why and join in the discussion topic for what it is, or don't.    Just as easy as it is to push the mute button, it's just as easy to not click on a topic or to stop reading a topic and read something else :)

I added to it by saying its not worth worrying about.

Public speaking isnt easy and names of horses come in all shapes sizes and languages they are going to get it wrong at times. Talking to yourself for hours is difficult.

But i guess when your losing your money even the smallest thing can upset you.

Dont lose any sleep over it lads its not worth it

Cheers for the advice Michael.

If I was conversing with a mate or whoever and we mispronounced a word it would never get a mention other than to take the piss out of each other.

TV presenters on the other hand have a responsibility not to butcher the language. It matters not one jot if the presenter is reading the news,the weather,playschool or Trackside...in that order ;)

It becomes embarrassing when even straight forward words are mispronounced or the wrong words or wrong part of the word is inappropriately emphasized. The entire statement becomes painful to hear. Surely our presenters should have some standards of communication skills?

I like Liz. I think she's lovely but it still grinds on me when she butchers communication. Funnily enough I feel exactly the same way if I'm betting,not betting,losing or winning.

You could send yourself doo-lally analysing it all.. Bevan and Jayne say "Look" at the beginning of nearly every sentence and the number of people when interviewed that start responses with ... Yeah, No ....  are innumerable :)   In the end, I guess, we just have to learn to go deaf at the right moments and keep watching :)

I have no idea what most of you sound like. Nor do I know whether your use of the spoken language is any better than the people you are criticising.

However, I do have a fair knowledge now of your use of the written language.

1. Tatura - your English teacher should have told you of the useful mnemonic: "there's no ease in grammar".

2. bwd - I am sure you meant "can't" as "cant" is a word in its own right.

3. Michael Roustoby - be very careful about criticising someone's "pronounciation". The word is "pronunciation". We also have "enunciation",  "annunciation" and "denunciation".

4.  napier - today's with the apostrophe please. *

5. aquaman - "beat up" is a verbal phrase; "beat-up' is the noun.**

6. MR - "angers" should be " anger's". An interesting example of the value of the apostrophe so that sense can be made of the statement.

7.  MR - "effect" should be "affect". ***

8.  MR -  "its" means belonging to "it". No apostrophe required in the same way that we write "his". You wanted "it's" meaning "it is" or "it has". Likewise "isnt" requires an apostrophe to show a missing letter - "is not".

9. bwd - "straight forward" should be "straight-forward"or "straightforward".

10. puha - "well-known" not "well known".

* If you are unsure about where to put the apostrophe in these possessive or ownership cases just think of the long form and then put the apostrophe after the last letter.

e.g.  men's toilet - long form - toilet of the men

today's news -   '      "   - news of today

Victor Hugo's jockey - jockey of Victor Hugo 

**  It rarely matters that the hyphen is ignored in these examples except when you want to say that someone has "re-signed" not "resigned". Huge difference.

*** affect/effect   There are "rules" to cover the different applications of these two but I am reminded of a page in "Plain Sailing" (remember that text?) in which the writer gallantly but fruitlessly explained the distinction in the use of "will" and "shall". I believe the Fowler brothers, those eminent guardians of English Usage, had about 6 pages on the different usages and even stated that it was too difficult for the Irish to comprehend. To be sure, to be sure.

No one likes a smart Alick pedant as Lynne Truss discovered when commentators and critics rushed to find fault with her "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" publication.

Between you and me, nor do I.

You are quite correct but sometimes one tends to press "post" before one proof reads. You call yourself jape but perhaps you should be referred to as "grammar nazi'. Someone who believes it's their duty to attempt to correct any grammar and/or spelling mistakes they observe. Usually found hanging around any lrc chat rooms hounding "nOObs".

I was not mentioned on the Jape critique - my mother would be proud, in fact, I hope she reads this.  She is rather partial to correct usage of the English language herself.

One thing I would say though Michael, they are not talking to themselves for hours, they are talking to a rather large audience and they are providing a service, a service that is supposedly in place to retain listeners and along with the listener, their betting dollar.

It is not an easy profession being a presenter, however it is a profession they have chosen, which means that they should always strive to do it professionally and any feedback is good feedback.   This feedback can only come from their viewing public, just as a movie or book review would rely on.   If they can review the feedback, think about it, work on what they believe is warranted, and then shrug off the rest, so be it, but good or bad, feedback is useful if you want to provide a service that you are striving to improve both on a personal level, and for those that you are employed by.

The point of this thread is that people are being employed to present on TV.

I have no doubt that the job isn't easy. BUT that is what they are employed for and like it or not the ability to speak properly is part of their job description.

In my case I really wanted to play professional football (lacked physical skills), be an astronaut (scared of heights), or ride horses (weigh 95kg). In other words there were reasons I couldn't get the job because I had a skill deficit or inability to do the job.

Same should apply to these people (unless perhaps they are outstanding in another facet).

To criticise people here for pointing out how public broadcasters annoy them makes no sense to me (ie you are criticising someone for criticising someone).

But fair play to you all. Jape I am sure I have butchered the language here - but I'm not getting paid as an English professor ;)

Here's one I heard on Saturday - a horse at Trentham was being called 'BEN-OYT' , thought to myself, I bet they mean BENOIT (pronounced BEN-WAH ).

Yeah, yeah, not everyone took French at school, I know..

However, If it was my job to say the name in public - like a race-caller or TV presenter is - I'd sure find out how it should be said first! There have been quite a number over the years that have been badly butchered [ using the 'honest attempt approach! ] - Iechyd springs to mind - and it only requires a quick chat with the owner/s beforehand to determine how it should be pronounced. To his credit, I have heard George Simon say on a number of occasions that he has done just that.