RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TBHunter

Distance horses

This may be of interest to some racing folk, particularly those with an interest in the TB staying horse.

In the endurance racing world which is dominated by the Arabian horse, The Arab sheikhs, particularly of one particular family have developed horses that will go 100miles in around 6hr 45min riding time.

Ive cut and pasted this piece from an internet article

137 pairs on the start line in the desert,
33 making it to the end. The winner rode
the last loop of 19 km at an average speed
of 30.28 kmph. The unlucky Italians
Fiorucci, Giacchero and Laliscia were 
eliminated at the 3rd, 4th and 5th gate. 

I've watched these Arab horses race over 1600 m and although not as fast as the Thoroughbred they can really gallop.
My point here is really in relation to the speed that the above mentioned horse covered the final 19km loop of the 160km race.
"30.28km average speed"
Thats only half race speed but it is over 19km !!.

There is a focus on Thoroughbred stayers at present, possibly due to the upcoming  Melbourne cup and its likely that  foreign horses will scoop most of the prize money.
It appears to me that the equine world is leaving NewZealand in the dust   when it comes to staying horses.
The day may not be far off when a 67kg Arab gentleman on his 9YO Arabian horse will go 2 miles right up there with NewZealand's  best stayers

Imagine that, a non stud book horse better than most in the studbook.

How do these foreign trainers achieve these superior feats with similar bloodstock to ours?

Im my opinion it because they actually set out  with the specific  goal to do so. 
Some may say its all about money and to an extent it has to be, but its probably also substantially about  time, effort and commitment and a determination to be the best.
How  many Australasian trainers can put their hand up to that description?

Time, effort, commitment, and determination to the "cause" is a different matter than the same to the bank manager.

More of these