RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

Training fees

Be interested to see the varying prices and cost Around the country. My guess is depending on the operation the variance will be around a 1k a month.I ll kick off by saying here in the CHB its approx 2 k a month in race mode small stable low track fees low overheads.

So what is the break even point for training a horse?

I understand its not cheap but like all things you pay for what you get.

I guess travel, feed, track fees, vets etc all determine your monthly fee.

$3k per month???  $36k per year to train a horse.  Makes you wonder how so many can afford it, even in a syndicate.

Very few horse are in work for a full 12 months at a time , a likely timeframe ( keeping in mind they are all different )  could be 8 months of the year in work ,4 months spelling ?, especially younger horses .

I attended a meeting recently along with many owners and trainers , the consensus seemed to be with a trouble free run , count on ABOUT $20,000  a year , ( this relates to my earlier post on racing bonanza , eg win a BM 85 yesterday at trentham and you are well on the way to paying for a years training )

My sister had one in work with a successful northern trainer and budgeted on $2500 a month , that proved to be about right , the  suggested timeframe above was some where around the mark .

$25,000 - $30,000 for a year Fasthorse.

Now go back and revise your figures for the number of months as per your post on Racing Bonanza!

Ie Ellersie 3-4 months & Trentham just under 6 months (half the number of months you quote).  

No rdytdy ,

I don't agree with $25,000 / $30,000 a year .

$20,000 is the reliable figure for when the horse is actually in work which is not usually a full year .

A friend of mine won a race yesterday and picked up $12,000 , the horse has been in work this time around for four months .

$2500 per month times 4 =$10,000 , he's ahead , where to next and what happens is up to them but another win in this period will see them race free for a full 12 months .

He thinks racings great .

You have no idea Fasthorse of costs I suggest.

I have horses in work regularly in the Waikato and you won't get any change from $25,000 - $30,000.

I suggest you, as an owner trainer are out if touch of racing costs in the North.

Don't forget from that $12k winning stake he only receives $10,200 after percentages are taken out.

The racing fees and transport make it alot more expensive too fasthorse dont forget about them.

Its very tough to make money at the moment but field sizes are holding up so there is some hope.

ACC costs a major reason for training fees. Trainers arent doing as well as some are lead to believe

You have no idea Fasthorse of costs I suggest.

I have horses in work regularly in the Waikato and you won't get any change from $25,000 - $30,000.

I suggest you, as an owner trainer are out if touch of racing costs in the North.

Don't forget from that $12k winning stake he only receives $10,200 after percentages are taken out.

Easily resolved ,your $30,000 equates to $121 a day or $847 per week .

My (about)  $20,000 equates to $81 per day .or $567 per week .

No doubt gst is on top of this , who's closest to the to the mark ?

Who out there can tell us what the average trainer is charging at the moment .

down south they are alot lower about $1250-1500 that covers everything. if the horse goes to chch it can be a tad more with the travel costs. YET we still run for the same money and in sometimes smaller fields. alot of you will say weaker fields aswell but il argue that. so what are the extra costs they have in the north??? its $40 a day 

down south they are alot lower about $1250-1500 that covers everything. if the horse goes to chch it can be a tad more with the travel costs. YET we still run for the same money and in sometimes smaller fields. alot of you will say weaker fields aswell but il argue that. so what are the extra costs they have in the north??? its $40 a day 

I think the feed is much dearer in north as is accomodation etc. so have to pay higher wages to cover costs.Also a lot of trainers here in Sth. Island do pay lesser wages than they should but treat there staff in otherways.

Easily resolved ,your $30,000 equates to $121 a day or $847 per week .

My (about)  $20,000 equates to $81 per day .or $567 per week .

No doubt gst is on top of this , who's closest to the to the mark ?

Who out there can tell us what the average trainer is charging at the moment .

Don't try and tell me I am wrong Fasthorse, you have absolutely no idea.

I have two in work at present.

Just for you here is the cost for one.

Month of September:

Daily training charge  30 days @ $75.90 per day   =  $2277.00

Shoes                                                                     =  $155.00

Track Fees                                                             =  $138.00

Sundries - supplements                                          =  $72.00

Total                                                                            $2642.00

Now take note the horse hasn't been to the trials or races so that is basic monthly cost. You add on race expenses, transport costs etc, say the horse lined up twice in the month and you will see that will exceed $3,000 for a month easily. 

The cost to race a horse is easily $25,000 - $30,000 for the year. 

These are my costs training a horse for myself.

It costs me on average $140 per week for feed per horse.Shoes cost $15 and plates $30 per set.Nails approx $2 per horse.I shoe my own mostly. Track fees $138 per month If I don't ride my own its $10 per morning for someone else,$60 per wk.Gallops on the course proper $35 ea.Jumpouts $35 plus rider.

Add to these costs worming every six wks about $25,teeth at least once a year $80/100.Transport to and from track,gear replacement about $300 per year per horse.Vets costs and products can vary especially before and after each race.Add sawdust for boxes,maintenance for truck rego etc.

If nothing goes wrong I estimate it costs between $1000 and $1200 per month per horse and that's doing everything myself so public Trainers have staff and other overheads to contend with.

I feed the best and skimp on nothing.Just another slant on costs.

Rdytdy's figures are accurate and the only thing that may vary is the daily rate.

Agree with Puha and Fasthorse on this.

I have a few in work and as I manage all finances I have a bloody good idea what it costs.

It would be around the $20k mark that Fasthorse mentions, allowing for 7-8 months in work and 4-5 months in the paddock.

Both Fasthorse and Puha's connection is that of owner/trainer in the lower North Island I believe..  

The average training fee up here is $65 + gst = $74.75 a day which for a 31 day month is $2,317.25. I have had horses with four different trainers and the cost is virtually the same.

Puha's original question he stated that in CHB it is about 2k a month for a small stable, low overheads and that depending on the operation he expected a variance of $1k which equates to $3k a month. So you are roughly correct Puha.

So at $2300 odd just for training fees a month and then all the other expenses plus 2 starts in the month would be in excess of $3000 for the month. Work out the cost if you went to Ruakaka and raced twice there. That would add an extra $1500 just for those two days. Gubellini has confirmed training fees up here.

Puha, the gear hireage is bugger all, some include some don't.  

Now Fasthorse hasn't come back. I hope that you have received a reality check Gollum (Fasthorse) and when your masters from Petone check in with you re the response to your "precious" Racing Bonanza thread I trust you will tell them it is not enough. The stakes don't go as far as you thought.

Stakes have to be increased significantly across the board, particularly so in the lower grades to encourage people to race and breed horses. We cannot continue to have people walk away from ownership, stop breeding their mares, with an emphasis on those remaining having to survive by selling as fast as they can or going offshore to race them for decent stakes causing further erosion of domestic racing.

The only way to arrest this is to provide worthwhile stakes.  

Guest 2Admin2

So why does it cost less to race a standardbred? Surely they eat the same but they have a shit load more harness. I know because I've harnessed them.