RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Jockeys lives ruined...

LOCKED inside a body that is battling to overcome the effects of a horror race fall, the spirit of Pat Ferris emerged from darkness.

With his wife Jenna and parents keeping him company in the intensive care unit of Newcastle's John Hunter Hospital, Ferris unexpectedly flicked open his eyes before reaching out to grab Jenna's wrist.The joy lasted only seconds, but it was a sign that his heart has not stopped fighting.

"Pat actually woke up, opened both his eyes and the first time he looked at his parents and then he saw his wife and tried to reach out for her and grabbed her wrist," said close friend, fellow jockey Dale Spriggs. "He heard his parents' voices and Jenna's voice. I think it is Jenna's voice that helps him along.

"Yesterday the doctors said when Jenna was talking to him his heart started beating faster and they thought he might not be far away from coming out."

Spriggs, who was in the waiting room at the time, had his own moment with Ferris.

"I went back in with Jenna and we were both talking to him and his eyes wobbled open and his hands got agitated.

"It was like he was trying to focus his eyes but then he went back to sleep," he said.

"It looked like he was down in a real dark swimming hole and he is trying to climb up to the surface to get out. It is just the way his body looks, he is trying to fight his way out."

Spriggs has been a rock for the family since Pat's fall at Muswellbrook 12 days ago.

He and wife Leanda have been the family's voice as they continue to pray for Pat.

Spriggs said the emotional toll has been huge on Ferris's 25-year-old wife, who gave birth to their son Jacob only seven weeks ago.

"As you can imagine it has been very draining, a very tough time for all his family," he said. "Jenna got very emotional [yesterday] but you could see on their faces how much it meant to them when he grabbed her arm.

"It was great for Jenna to know that he is reacting to her voice, she can see the positives and it just shows how much she means to him.

"His parents were also very happy. They have been ringing everyone, they have contacted family in Lebanon, there are people all over the world praying for him."

He said doctors would try to take Ferris off the respirator for 10 minutes at a time.

"They did it [yesterday] and they are going to try it again over the next couple of days to see how he reacts and if that works they hope to move him to Westmead [hospital] early next week."

http://www.michaelwalker.co.nz

[tips hat]

"..G:heart: :male: PATRICK ! . . .you're Beautiful Man.,...go brother..you go boy . . . ". . . ......^~^~^^^^^^^^*:)

>

You said it all Hedley, ditto from me .....Go Paddy.... Get well soon....:y::y::y::y:

i cant remember his full name , but it was steve , some one that was killed , the day they opened the hill , i was there , i think his second name was ganley or some thing like that , im sure , some one eles was there that day , they called the meeting off after that ,

Patrick Ferris is doing as well as, if not better than, expected since coming out of his coma late last week.

Patrick started showing signs of waking on Thursday afternoon, 10 days after suffering head injuries in a race fall at Muswellbrook, and has since made tremendous progress.

The decision has been made to transfer Patrick Ferris from John Hunter Hospital to Westmead Hospital on Tuesday, and his family has asked Racenet to issue the following statement, which thanks all who have saved his life and asks for Pat to be given some time to recover.

Patrick

$:cocktail:$:flower:

.."HaHAA[tear]aah ..thought he would the 'other day'..but ya

'stay~Mum as yet' Eigh ;)

..GROUSE ! ..many thousands of prayers "answered"., ..don't mind at all admitting that having read then posted t'otherday, ..i rose myself up-out-of-chair, and prayed an out aloud request..of the very busy Hughie, whom can barely ever answer those individual ones., [they're yours for the working-out and getting-through., ...and what don't 'Kill' ya..will make one more redoubtable]...but i expected so much other 'unison'..from fine salty racing folks 'AUSTRALISLEY'...crafting their own 'special requests'.."just this important once" et al...that was Simply a case of missing a shot...if you indeed didn't take-one and 'fire-one-off' as it were.,..i know mine was a 'blatant begg'..for which i 'shone light upOn'...then asked.,

. . . .,off out th'room..tears flowing on an expressionless face., a sniff'n'wipe'n'fresh~water down at the sink., a microwave to m' coffee,...and 'off-we-went' for the day.,...just Knowing that either And or, Patrick'n'Hughie...would find the pathway back.

{from accident or sudden eventuation}..,.."finding~the~pathway~Back!"...is a saviour or salvation2nd~chance..of mortal resurvival, as once one becomes adjacent to one's own Death, there's...as the last linkage BACK,...a tinymight pinprick-thickness Only, of 'threadlight'....sorta 'hansel'n'gretal' ish.,...a barely there,..but There non th'less thread, and you 'take~yourself~Onto~it'...using whatever 'energies' or the last one's 'tasted', to "POWER" and "DRIVE~BURSTING~ B A C K FORTH!"...bit like a rope-batten Ladder hurled 'over-the-side' of a seagoing vessel when a "man's overboard" . . .

..th'3times this's been my reality, i've used anger'n'fury for 'the gas'...and it's great 'unload' off'n'From you too., to've 'combusted' some of it...for the saving of one's own arse.,

..accomplishing this, i.e., getting far~enough~Back..so that a more dynamic range of faculty, neurology and physiologies...is now 'the arrow of your Quill'...so that thenceforth onward, momentumns mainted by YOU still, can then finally meet up and 'blendenmesh' with the 'electronic sciences of assistance'...if you're 'ambulance-side', hostpital-side or whatever the fortune, . .or if you're alone and 'exposed'...then you DON'T FAIL!..i can assure you That ;)

..i thought he'd be back...and he's well back far enough to've AlREADY been successful...and the 'yet~gathered' "rest:heart:of:heart:it"..will be attained..that he's been 'left-allowed-to've-been-able-to've'...but in these stages, one's quite entitled to maximise difficult stages...with brute strength and blindbeautiful pigheadednesses., insisting 'calisthenically' if you will, that a certain limb movement of whatEver, "Re Bloody TURNs!" to my wherewithalls:mad:

...:D Who DARES!...wins'n'grins'n'Grins'n'grins'n'grins...specially if ya 'saved your own ASS'..yyYYEEEESSSSsssssssss :cigar: :kiss ya Ma: :go drive in ya favourite car: :ha ha:DAAaaah: :Yeah~BABY!:

:flower:

:male::cocktail::female:..an' the FERRISes know the unreal~feel..of 'the~FerrisWHEEL'..Don't worry., they'll eyewell Proud..know what That means...having been the masonry Of it., now generationally 'stood~By' the bedside...willing and nurturing the evermore 'cartwheelian'..the latest 'FERRIS~metal' . . .of the heavy-rock..honed

..Who'd be a FERRIS !?!!! . . .'everyone' Soon..an' Anyone Now;) :cool:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

:y:[an'PeaceEighBert:male:]:cool:?

I'm trying to collate some data to present on NZ jockeys lives ruined by racing accidents, either trackwork or raceday, in the last 50 years.

I wonder if 'cafers' would assist me please in identifying prticular accidents and their unique characteristics.

Typically I'd like to know a) if the accident was fatal, or B) if the subject incurred a life changing injury, eg paralysis or brain damage.

Thirdly I'd like to categorise the accidents geographically to determine any patterns. Say South Island from Oamaru south, Oamaru North, then the CD, Waikato, and the North, 5 discreet areas.

Fourthly if any information is available on the cause that would be useful, eg the horse may have had a catstrophic failure such as a fracture, or there may have been a gear failure, or perhaps some environmental element like adverse weather.

Next, and this is not about playing the blame game, any alleged human involvement that may have contributed should be mentioned, and lastly, I'm really keen to ascertain common denominators so if there is a trainer, steward, or any other person of interest who was associated with the accident could you note their names please.

Thanks for your help and co-operation.

????????????????????????

Is this about the same subject??

MAJOR REVERSALS LOOMING FOR GARY LAWSON 28 Jun 2010

When you have a Uranus-Jupiter negative, you can expect some unplanned career reversals.

Such was even powerful enough to uproot the stone statue of Auckland journalism, Donna Chisholm. 'Twas what supervised her departure from the STAR-TIMES after nearly 30 years with the same boss, and becoming a solo mother after leaving her partner of more than 20 years.

Even my good self, such a fine promoter of the great astrological, was spared no favours; my Uranus-Jupiter bad caused me to get a part-time job with as much as 24 hours a week !

Then there's Gary Lawson, the highly controversial former world champion bowler who's amid so much racing discussion these days.

Gazza walked out on his wheelchair-bound wife Judy and 7 year-old daughter in Christchurch. So much for " richer or poorer, in sickness and health " etc of the matrimonial vows, life running a bar in Auckland's seedy viaduct is far more attractive.

For a start Gazza should never have got married. One with Venus and Mars ( Sagittarius 10 ) locked together is more akin to sports, travel, gambling and playboyism than being tied to anything serious.

Throw in an ultra-tight negative to restrictive Saturn in Sagittarius' enemy Pisces at 10 degrees, and you have major problems in matters of close relationship and continuity. Lots of anger as well, with the great probability of serious gambling or substance abuse problems.

In fact there are many similarities to a fellow known as BIG P of METHAMETHA, and Lawson could probably consider this fellow's NEGATIVE URANUS in 2010 as a kind of case history study.

Big P is facing a major career change since falling out with his family after his de facto wife ( 30 years his junior ) got busted with methamphetamine and utensils after a car chase.....

These sorts of things happen under Uranus malevolence, with plenty of interesting events definitely on the menu for Lawson, especially in March and October next year and January of 2012.

Might it have something to do with the the " trust fund " so common in racing discussions these days ?

Jude Lawson got badly smashed up in a racefall in October 2006. Husband Gazza and longtime business associate/racing partner " dirty zzzzz " launched their attack on NZTR over the state of the offending racecourse, resulting in a payment of $250,000 to " the Lawsons " in 2007.

Think " dirty zzzzz ", think Loudon Wainwright and the lyrics " dead skunk in the middle of the road, stinkin' to high heaven.." 1972, The Dead Skunk Song.

It was all kept very secret, between Gazza, zzzzz, NZTR chairman Guy Sargent, and C E 0 Paul Bittar. Until a recent leak from an NZTR board member.( Racing has a " briilliant grapevine " claims Bent-Pig McKenzie....see the satire on June 13.)

Then Jude Lawson, now a solo mum, revealed that she's only received $110,000.

Enter " thicko Morton, " a semi-literate who shared in the ownership with dirty zzzzz and Gazza of a galloper which became known as Auckland's laughter horse.

This $180,000 yearling purchase had been selected by dirty zzzzz and named GIVE EM THE BASH. It raced 5 times and didn't return a cent before being retired after finishing last in a maiden race on the West Coast.

Thicko Morton claims the rest of the " Lawson money " ended up in a trust fund to help injured jockeys.

There's a lot of Loudon Wainwright about this matter, and mystery over the amount in the trust fund and why Sargent wanted to keep the payout so secret. Why the special case of Mrs Lawson, when there are so many injured jockeys who've never got anything except their trimmed wages from ACC ?

Which is why authorities and an investigative reporter are very keen to speak with Gary Lawson, dirty zzzzz and Guy Sargent......

Crash jockeys' futures in balance

GEOFF WILSON SMH

July 15, 2010

THE immediate riding futures of three apprentice jockeys injured in a four-horse fall at Scone on Tuesday are in serious doubt. Scone apprentice Jodie Riley and Newcastle's Alison Threadwell remain in John Hunter Hospital, where they were flown to by air ambulance after the fall.

Riley suffered a fractured right collarbone and also had an operation to repair a fractured left eye socket. Threadwell has a fractured vertebra in her neck and three broken ribs, and doctors had to drain fluid from a lung when she had trouble breathing. The 25-year-old also sustained a tear in her liver and damage in the kidney region.

Clare Pettigrew, who appeared to have escaped injury in the fall, was taken to Scone Hospital after riding later on the program and yesterday had a CT scan after complaining of ongoing headaches. Sydney jockey Jeff Penza was the only one of the four who came through unscathed. Racing NSW steward David Dyson, who has been oncourse for falls at Scone, Muswellbrook, Cessnock and Gosford recently, said it was uncertain when any of the three would be back in the saddle.

''Right now riding is the furthest thing from their mind,'' he said. ''We have opened inquiries into all three falls but they have been adjourned until we can organise for all the riders involved and those around the fallen jockeys to attend.''

Jockey Pat Ferris, who suffered head injuries in a fall at Muswellbrook two weeks ago, has been transferred to Sydney from John Hunter. ''Pat seems to be improving, which is encouraging,'' Dyson said.

Dyson has also spoken to top Newcastle jockey Allan Robinson, who fell in a spectacular two-horse crash at Cessnock last week. ''Allan said he had never suffered as badly from a fall as this one and he sounded like it.''

Crash jockeys' futures in balance

GEOFF WILSON SMH

July 15, 2010

THE immediate riding futures of three apprentice jockeys injured in a four-horse fall at Scone on Tuesday are in serious doubt. Scone apprentice Jodie Riley and Newcastle's Alison Threadwell remain in John Hunter Hospital, where they were flown to by air ambulance after the fall.

Riley suffered a fractured right collarbone and also had an operation to repair a fractured left eye socket. Threadwell has a fractured vertebra in her neck and three broken ribs, and doctors had to drain fluid from a lung when she had trouble breathing. The 25-year-old also sustained a tear in her liver and damage in the kidney region.

Clare Pettigrew, who appeared to have escaped injury in the fall, was taken to Scone Hospital after riding later on the program and yesterday had a CT scan after complaining of ongoing headaches. Sydney jockey Jeff Penza was the only one of the four who came through unscathed. Racing NSW steward David Dyson, who has been oncourse for falls at Scone, Muswellbrook, Cessnock and Gosford recently, said it was uncertain when any of the three would be back in the saddle.

''Right now riding is the furthest thing from their mind,'' he said. ''We have opened inquiries into all three falls but they have been adjourned until we can organise for all the riders involved and those around the fallen jockeys to attend.''

Jockey Pat Ferris, who suffered head injuries in a fall at Muswellbrook two weeks ago, has been transferred to Sydney from John Hunter. ''Pat seems to be improving, which is encouraging,'' Dyson said.

Dyson has also spoken to top Newcastle jockey Allan Robinson, who fell in a spectacular two-horse crash at Cessnock last week. ''Allan said he had never suffered as badly from a fall as this one and he sounded like it.''

Will probably ban racing in the near future as being too dangerous. Or put up ACC levies out of reach of all in the racing game.

Christine Lawn despite her unfortunate accident & injuries has shown in these video's just because you have an accident you don't need to stop living & enjoying what life has to offer.

Well done Christine you are an inspiration to us all.

It is these kind of human life stories that our Trackside Racing channels should be showing more of & recognizing these people for what they've achieved in their lives & are still achieving.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAIQWptyOysxAM7qROP2PA/videos

• 1 year ago
    • 1 year ago
    • 1 year ago
    • 4 years ago
    • 5 years ago
    • 7 years ago
    • 7 years ago
    • 7 years ago

Christine Lawn's fall was at Otago.
Debbie Henderson had her fall in the North Island, I think :confused:

Something wrong with software if in the last 4 years one posting yet this is "hot Topic"

Nevertheless important topic. My take is that its an affront to common decency if NZRB managers are being paid large fractions of millions and concerns as raised by Midget are being neglected.

To those that are in contact with any of our injured jockeys would you please be so kind to ensure they are aware that the Acclaim Otago Access to Justice survey about ACC (Accident compensation)  is forwarded to them to either fill out themselves or to get someone that is capable of assisting them to complete it, it would be appreciated.

The Access to Justice survey for injured people and anyone else that is interested to complete has been extended to allow those that were not aware of it also had time & the right to respond to it.

Thanks

Links are through Acclaim Otago website

http://www.acclaimotago.org/

Access to Justice survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/accesstojusticenewzealand

On 6/22/2010 at 7:22 PM, trakdap said:

There was a jockey Tucker killed

down south. Not sure whether it was race related or not?

Des Tucker was killed in car accident at Dunsandel travelling back from race meet, Gavin Gullery & Max Skelton were 2 of his mates in accident luckily survived, recall it well a sad day as all were top young Riccarton jocks at the time

1 minute ago, poundforpound said:

Don’t think Max was in that car.

I think one of the Annings was in it though, the one who rode jumpers.

The young lady killed in it was Diane Wyness ( sp ?) 

They hit that lamp post so hard one of them got fired through the roof of the car.

I was supposed to be in it but I left Timaru before them with another guy, thank fuck.

Was that Owen Anning

4 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

They hit that lamp post so hard one of them got fired through the roof of the car.

I was supposed to be in it but I left Timaru before them with another guy, thank fuck.

Correct Little Man,it was Owen Anning and the other passenger was Wattie Latimer,he owned Wattalan,NZ Cup and Watelse Unlucky In Love etc

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Luckily for you p4p. Funny how things work out in life, both good and bad. 

What year was this accident?

On 6/21/2010 at 11:55 PM, lindsay carston said:

John Messents fall was at Hawera.It was a two division race and I rode in the 2nd.after his fall we had to wait for the ambulance to return but it didnt for a long time so finally the decision was made that the course doctor would follow us around in a car.The track was treacherous and luckily nothing fell in the second division.The races were called off straight after.As far as I know john messent is still around.I hope so a very nice guy and good rider

Well spoken of Johnny,rode for Don Grubb as both in Wanganui.

4 hours ago, Portfolio said:

Terrible that any rider dies, but how many nz jockeys have died in nz in the past 30 years?

I bet if you added up trainers, jockeys and punters that have taken their own life's, this figure would be far more than track deaths.

A lot more since "safety vests" were made compulsory...........

On 7/9/2010 at 7:12 PM, long lost2thegame said:

i cant remember his full name , but it was steve , some one that was killed , the day they opened the hill , i was there , i think his second name was ganley or some thing like that , im sure , some one eles was there that day , they called the meeting off after that ,

Hi, his name was Steven Gantley, a fabulous rider. The horse in front of him fell as he went over the hill and Steven's horse behind collided with the fallen horse and rider just as he got over on top. Stevens horse fell, Stevens foot got stuck in the stirrup and he was dangling with his head level to the horses leg, where he was continuously kicked in the head by the horse as it struggled to get up. Steven did not die, but spent 12months in hospital recovering. His father offered him trotting horses to race when he recovered, as he made him promise to his father he would never ride again -he almost lost his life in that accident. He never did take up the offer to ride sulky and never rode again. There is footage of this accident somewhere that I would love to get hold of if anyone knows where and how? Steven died tragically many years ago from a painful cancer. Written by his sister Susan.