RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

no more B Y O

A ban on BYO alcohol is to begin at Te Rapa racecourse.From after Sept 28 BYO at Te Rapa will not be allowed.

My soon to be former workmates have for the last five years had a xmas party at the races where everybody brought along there own firewater.Isuspect this will cease due to the increase cost of the firewater and they will resume having drinks at work and bugger the racing.For most of these people they only bet on horses at the Xmas races and that was it and they always looked forward to it.

Te Rapa racegoers must leave booze at home

Times are changing at Waikato's premier racetrack particularly for picnickers enjoying a drink on the lawn at the races.

A ban on BYO alcohol is about to be implemented.

A BYO policy has allowed racegoers attending Te Rapa racecourse to bring their own alcohol to the course but that is about to be discontinued on advice from the Hamilton District Licensing Committee.

From the race meeting at the end of this month - September 28, 2014 - the policy that has been supported by the Waikato Racing Club for many years will be no longer, as local licensing authorities clamp down on BYO events in general.

"The Club's hands were tied on this issue and the authorities were adamant it was only a matter of time before the policy would be changed. The timing of the change in policy has come sooner than the club had expected. But we have to move forward and offer an affordable alternative to our customers," Waikato Racing Club General Manager, Ken Rutherford said.

"The club is working closely with its caterer, Hamilton Caterers, which holds the liquor licence for Te Rapa racecourse, to ensure a proper service at reasonable cost is available.

"We are fortunate at the racecourse to have outside public areas that attract families for a day out at the races and this will remain the case. Racegoers to Te Rapa can still bring their own food and non-alcoholic beverages," Rutherford said.

The club is mindful of the impact this change of policy will have on its biggest race days - in particular Waikato Times Gold Cup day that this year falls on December 13.

"The key is getting the value proposition right for our customers. The club believes that the hospitality packages offered for Waikato Times Gold Cup day reflect this and pre-event sales are proving very popular

"For racegoers to lose the ability to bring their own alcohol to Te Rapa racecourse is disappointing but the club will endeavour to ensure that the transition to a non-BYO environment is as seamless as possible.

A number of New Zealand's premier racetracks including Riccarton, Trentham and Ellerslie already have bans on BYO at most of their meetings.

tHE ARTICLE MENTIONS THAT A NUMBER OF NZ PREMIER TRACKS ALREADY HAVE BANS AT MOST OF THEIR MEETINGS.

Plenty of other places have no byo. Ellerslie I think, Awapuni all spring to mind.

No big deal. Stadiums have no byo, why should racing ?

Getting with the times

Thankfully not Hastings just yet...

Watch the on-course numbers decline and betting figures drop

as people choose other sporting options...and say stuff racing, they have "made their bed"

I know a number of people who refuse to go on course...simply saying I,m not paying to

go through the gate to lose money..."******* thieves" 

Thankfully not Hastings just yet...

Watch the on-course numbers decline and betting figures drop

as people choose other sporting options...and say stuff racing, they have "made their bed"

I know a number of people who refuse to go on course...simply saying I,m not paying to

go through the gate to lose money..."******* thieves" 

If Te Rapa are saying ithey have to act because of advice from the local Licensing Committee, then Hastings will shortly have to follow suit. These changes are the result of Parliament changing the liquor laws.

Our two team local soccer club, who basically drink in a broom closet, had their lisence fees raised from $67 to $1200 this past season as a result of these nationwide law changes.

Another money making exercise on behalf of licencing laws and clubs having to foot the bill if they want

public punters to remain on - course.

As you say Hesi...Re Xmas in park...they can,t hide behind a blanket ban and bend rules to suit.

New years day at Hastings is a wonderful BBQ/drinks day that thousands attend out on the lawn

I,m sure Jason will be doing his utmost not to lose that crowd and you would think Govt./NZRB also

as turnover no doubt huge.

Racing over the xnas period should be exempt from these stupid rules. Will be the death of country meetings if its extended further.Can people not have fun anymore?

Agree.. it would be sad to see this brought into force at meetings like Tauherenikau in January and February.. typically picnic race days for families to get together.   If they are able to offer decent priced alcohol as an alternative fine but usually it is double the price.

I would point out, that when it suits, the lisencing aspect is not an issue.

Example, Xmas in the Park at the Domain in Auckland(sorry I mentioned that word), 250,000 people, BYO allowed.

Not quite, not only was BYO banned from Christmas in the Park last year, the event was completely alcohol free.  I'm the first to criticise Clubs when they introduce stupid rules and was furious when Ellerslie banned BYO a few years ago, but I don't think the Clubs are to blame.  It's all part of the politically correct nonsense and the need for everything to be legislated for the 'idiots' so if a minority abuse something it has to be banned for everyone.  Less than 10 years ago I could go to Ellerslie racecourse, my local beach, sports events and Christmas in the Park and take a few beers, have a good time, and not cause any trouble.  These days if I try to do any of these things I'll be refused entry or arrested.....

Not only is it common sense, and moving with the times like other major sports venues.. it also allows the clubs to better maintain an income stream. Allows them to better manage their finances, budget accordingly and develop quality beverage options for patrons (plus encourages them to develop better relationships with their suppliers).

Yes it is a pain for those who want to bring crate or cask of their poison of choice, but really, how much of a loss are those types if they don't head along to the races as a result?

This is a huge for them, yes it has costs in the setup and administration side of things. But I would have thought a consistent income stream (and being able to increase this stream on non-racedays), would be imperative to the survival of many of the clubs..

All very true Jimmee

But you cater for your customers (Patrons as you record)

Not at all sure that this move will be a good move, save but for the Corporates and suits which is the path racing seems to be headed down for on course attendance.

I for one will not be paying $7 for a stubby, when I can get it for $2.20 at my local supermarket.

I am one Customer they will not enjoy financially. Somehow, I don't think I am alone

But bold move and good luck to them, they will need more than a little

To this day I can still not understand having to pay $7 for a stubbie of beer in shabby bars on course.

Why not make it $4 which is a fair price and get people back on course spending money over the tote.

I use to go to races with 15 to 20 plus people and go up to members stand enjoy a drink and our group would put thousands over the tote. Now there is 4 of us left as the others refuse to pay $7 a beer. We have drinks at home and punt online which doesn't help the race clubs with turn over commission.

Bring back the $4 beers and people will return to the track, simple.

Didn,t mind paying $7 a steiny at all black game in Napier (7 year occourance)...

All Black tests have not died as a result of not being able to BYO. All of the stadiums are a rip of in terms of food/grog. Racing clubs I have found are very fairly priced

Taking a chilly bin / blanket / chairs / food/ BBQ to the races on certain race days has been ingrained

in some families for years.

Yes they frequent other bars on other days. 

What a shame it would be to lose these punters and that history / tradition of a good kiwi raceday.

Not only is it common sense, and moving with the times like other major sports venues.. it also allows the clubs to better maintain an income stream. Allows them to better manage their finances 

No people jimmee...clubs wont have to worry about managing their finances!

Unlikely Puha, they get very tetchy around Xmas/New year.

We tried to have a bottle of wine on the beach reserve at Hahei a few years ago.

2 mature adults, not causing any trouble, but got warned off by the local constabulary.

You were an easy target hesi--should have been dealing to the flotsam in Queen St full of grog, rooting and spewing in a public space.The real debate is the disgraceful legacy of Shipley's dreadful lower drinking age initiative.

They say it is all about lisencing, but it's more about making a good profit off the grog they sell.

I recall Chris Weaver at Ellerslie, posting on here that only 15% of their profit comes from their take from oncourse gambling.

So it's all about economics

And what a failure that Weaver was--wrecked the calendar, stopped the in-field party and has moved on up to peddling mung-beans and quinoa for his missus.

Can the licensing authority show us the problems they ve encountered from the public drinking on the lawn at Te Rapa? Would be sweet FA ! Somehow the general public need to make a stand against these idiots that are employed by us who are eroding our lifestyle choices slowly but surely.