RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

NZTR &G Purcell

I read that they are having the finger pointed at them for the Financial failure of the Taumarunui Racing Club by the the President.

Taumarunui have historically race late July and have great success at this timing od dates.

This year without ANY consultation from NZTR with the club they were told to race last weekend with disastrous results on turnover,which was down from 231k to 148k,this will hurt the once year clubs bottom line. 

The president, rightfully pointed out the numbers of patrons that attended from Taumarunui were down 40% from previous years as this date was the start of school holidays which clearly upset 40% OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE ALWAYS ATTENDED.

The sad part of this scenario is the lack of consultation with the club,they were told nothing and when the Waikato Times contacted NZTR they as well were snubbed with NO REPLY.

This is just another example how G Purcell and NZTR ARE BADLY LETTING DOWN INDUSTRY.

They say"our way or no way" and when are these extra over paid employees to answer these questions,it is called communication

I will leave the last word to the President,who said NZTR RUINED OUR MEETING..DON'T FEEL ALONE IN YOUR THOUGHTS,I believe they are ruining the whole industry.

yeah I was sure we went down late July last year, left me bit confused.

Went up to Ruakaka to see the Lady and then down to Te Rapa to see her race again.

But yeah those arseholes are doing their best to screw all the small clubs, and even Avondale lost all their Saturdays and Auckland has not only stolen our late July Saturday, but they also stole our major races ! :angry:

Midget ,

Why don't you inquire into the financial position of the Tamaranui racing club , bank balance and INVESTMENTS , then ask yourself , why have they allowed the stake of the Tamaranui cup to fall by $15,000.

I think you will find they could have afforded to top it up to the $80,000 that it used to be .

Hard to feel any sympathy for any club that could help racing but chooses not to .

Guest 2Admin2

Midget ,

Why don't you inquire into the financial position of the Tamaranui racing club , bank balance and INVESTMENTS , then ask yourself , why have they allowed the stake of the Tamaranui cup to fall by $15,000.

I think you will find they could have afforded to top it up to the $80,000 that it used to be .

Hard to feel any sympathy for any club that could help racing but chooses not to .

Fasthorse or is it more like NZTR mouthpiece - perhaps given the outcome of the meeting they showed some financial prudence by not wasting reserves.  

Midget ,

As my Scottish brother in law used to say ... Get the f***

Fasthorse or is it more like NZTR mouthpiece - perhaps given the outcome of the meeting they showed some financial prudence by not wasting reserves.  

So let's get this clear 2admin2 .

You cry poor , whinge and moan about industry participants feeling the financial pinch and when an issue  arises that suggests some clubs could and should do more to assist the wider industry , you don't want to know.

If my info is correct ,the $15,000 required to maintain the Cup stake at it's previous level is a drop in the ocean to what they have invested or , money in the  bank .

Midget ,

Fasthorse, 

that is not relevant to this case,,the fields stacked up well with numbers,but their argument is this was the first time they had to race at the start of school holidays and hence why the numbers who normally attend was down 40%.

The main issue here is the FACT that was NO consultation with the club for the reasons and NO reply to the inquiry from the Waikato Times.This just shows how NZTR act and as I said it There way or No Way.

Why we are at this,would Campbell Moncur like to explain that back a few years that he instructed the Reefton JC to have the Stewards patrol towers to be inspected by an Engineering Company to comply.

This was done a great expense to the club and yet they have NEVER been used by the Stewards.Surely he would have asked the Stewards if they still use the towers before asking the club to certify them.

This is just another example of wastage.If C Moncur was paying out of his own pocket,i am sure he would have asked the question,Do we still use these towers.

So why are these figures being reported in the official results saying turnover is up!

The figures reported - Last year $78,252 - this year $147120.  Something wrong in the reporting?

Offcourse -  Last year $1,337,005 this year $1,651,668.

I can see the merit in moving the date, it is a better lead in from Tauranga to Taumarunui - but it has left a big hole in the racing calendar.

You cry poor , whinge and moan about industry participants feeling the financial pinch and when an issue  arises that suggests some clubs could and should do more to assist the wider industry , you don't want to know.

If my info is correct ,the $15,000 required to maintain the Cup stake at it's previous level is a drop in the ocean to what they have invested or , money in the  bank .

So Fasthorse as you know everything, or seem to, why was their successful day they had had for years taken away from them???

Fasthorse, 

that is not relevant to this case,,the fields stacked up well with numbers,but their argument is this was the first time they had to race at the start of school holidays and hence why the numbers who normally attend was down 40%.

The main issue here is the FACT that was NO consultation with the club for the reasons and NO reply to the inquiry from the Waikato Times.This just shows how NZTR act and as I said it There way or No Way.

Why we are at this,would Campbell Moncur like to explain that back a few years that he instructed the Reefton JC to have the Stewards patrol towers to be inspected by an Engineering Company to comply.

This was done a great expense to the club and yet they have NEVER been used by the Stewards.Surely he would have asked the Stewards if they still use the towers before asking the club to certify them.

This is just another example of wastage.If C Moncur was paying out of his own pocket,i am sure he would have asked the question,Do we still use these towers.

It is relevant , it's about who gets a fair deal , the wider industry doesn't get a fair deal from some of these clubs.

Why worry about their hurt feelings or even their turnover , it's almost impossible for clubs to loose money on race days , they even get a 3% subsidy on turnover

As for the towers ,that's an OSH issue .

A track I  used to attend had a similar issue , these were obsolete ,not used , the request came , certify them , knock them down or fence them off .

It made no difference if they were used or not , something had to be done .

Children would wonder over the track on the weekends and clime them .

Scooby , I don't know why the date was changed , hopefully for the benefit of the wider industry .

Guest 2Admin2

You cry poor , whinge and moan about industry participants feeling the financial pinch and when an issue arises that suggests some clubs could and should do more to assist the wider industry , you don't want to know.

If my info is correct ,the $15,000 required to maintain the Cup stake at it's previous level is a drop in the ocean to what they have invested or , money in the bank .

Why don't you go back to those at NZTR who write your scripts and ask them what has the exec spent on international junkets and for what outcome for the "wider industry"?

Fasthorse,I see you conveniently said NOTHING about the lack of communication from NZTR to the Club and The Waikato Times,

Surely you would ask the stewards, before spending thousands on them and if they would be continuing to use them,if not pull them down with voluntary labour at NO COSTS TO THE CLUB.

Fast horse Tauramanui are an awesome club with a great community spirit we were humbled last year by their genuine joy for one of the little guys winning their Cup which was in the honour of Derek Stephens one of their long standing identities.In 2006 the cup was $50 k so has risen $15k.Now take The Wellington club huge population and business and in 2006 the Parlimentary was 30k now 25k a drop of 5 k might need to aim your sights closer to home fasthorse

A track I  used to attend had a similar issue , these were obsolete ,not used , the request came , certify them , knock them down or fence them off .

It made no difference if they were used or not , something had to be done .

Scooby , I don't know why the date was changed , hopefully for the benefit of the wider industry .

That's shocking use of the English language Fasthorse. Would you please tell the girl at NZTR who prepares your offerings that her spell check is not working.  :P

Fast horse Tauramanui are an awesome club with a great community spirit we were humbled last year by their genuine joy for one of the little guys winning their Cup which was in the honour of Derek Stephens one of their long standing identities.In 2006 the cup was $50 k so has risen $15k.Now take The Wellington club huge population and business and in 2006 the Parlimentary was 30k now 25k a drop of 5 k might need to aim your sights closer to home fasthorse

Missing the point puha ,

Clubs that can afford to contribute more should..

Shows how much confidence Mr Purcell has in New Zealand racing, when he recently got 2 horses (Baldovino and Sweet Suitor) off Rogie and sent them to Australia to race.

What does this show you?

Perhaps, Mr Purcell is thinking of going back to Ozzie to live and have a couple of horses to watch going round!

Taumarunui have always raced for good stakes, and I cant think of any reason why NZTR had to make the change.

Lets all support Taumarunui!!

Fasthorse,I see you conveniently said NOTHING about the lack of communication from NZTR to the Club and The Waikato Times,

Surely you would ask the stewards, before spending thousands on them and if they would be continuing to use them,if not pull them down with voluntary labour at NO COSTS TO THE CLUB.

So what part did the Reefton RC committee play in this ??, why didn't they ask the stewards ??

It sounds like they don't know what's going on in their own environment , all seems a little strange .

Lack of communication , perhaps they forgot to open the mail , who knows , I certainly don't .

The Waikato Times , they can read the racing monthly just like the rest of us , it's only  a big deal if you want it to be .

thephantom , it's NZTR that provides 100% of stakes NOT the clubs.

So what part did the Reefton RC committee play in this ??, why didn't they ask the stewards ??

It sounds like they don't know what's going on in their own environment , all seems a little strange .

Lack of communication , perhaps they forgot to open the mail , who knows , I certainly don't .

The Waikato Times , they can read the racing monthly just like the rest of us , it's only  a big deal if you want it to be .

thephantom , it's NZTR that provides 100% of stakes NOT the clubs.

Reefton JC were following a directive from NZTR,ie Moncur,it was not there place to know if the Stewards were going to use them.They were under the belief that they would be in use,so followed the request at Thousands of dollars in costs,only to find out at the next meeting they were no longer required so more unnecessary wastage of clubs funds

So you state you do not know the reason why no communication was had between the clubs,so go and ask your sources at NZTR and see if they can offer an excuse for this incompetence.

Some corrections to the info being banded around here.

Firstly NZTR do not pay all the stakes. They  pay a certain amount and if the club wishes to put the stakes up they pay the difference out of their pocket. This is what Taumarunui Club have been doing for the past three years with their cup. NZTR  pay a maximum of $50,000 for their cup and for the past three years, (prior to this meeting last week) they have paid $30,000 out of their pocket to keep it at $80,000. (for the sake of owners) Before loosing the offcourse money they were able to do this without loosing money on race day. Since,  they have run at a loss each year, hence the reason for dropping the stakes this year. Now they have still run at a loss, and a very big one.

What 3% subsidy.

The meeting put to the start of the school holidays was never toted as the only reason for the drop in patrons. Other things on in the district, people forgetting the change of date until it was too late and of course the weather forecast also contributed.

At the old date, Taumarunui had one wet race day in 20 odd years!!!

Loss of oncourse money was also due to loosing a race due to the change of date. This was stupid as they never started til 12.15 anyway so could have had an earlier race.

But NZTR is now ruled by SKY TV all for the mighty dollar.

This is the first nail in the coffin of another small club, and what was one of the most successful small clubs in NZ, thanks to NZTR.

Guest 2Admin2

Firstly NZTR do not pay all the stakes. They  pay a certain amount and if the club wishes to put the stakes up they pay the difference out of their pocket. This is what Taumarunui Club have been doing for the past three years with their cup. NZTR  pay a maximum of $50,000 for their cup and for the past three years, (prior to this meeting last week) they have paid $30,000 out of their pocket to keep it at $80,000. (for the sake of owners) Before loosing the offcourse money they were able to do this without loosing money on race day. Since,  they have run at a loss each year, hence the reason for dropping the stakes this year. Now they have still run at a loss, and a very big one.

What 3% subsidy.

The meeting put to the start of the school holidays was never toted as the only reason for the drop in patrons. Other things on in the district, people forgetting the change of date until it was too late and of course the weather forecast also contributed.

Loss of oncourse money was also due to loosing a race due to the change of date. This was stupid as they never started til 12.15 anyway so could have had an earlier race.

This is the first nail in the coffin of another small club, and what was one of the most successful small clubs in NZ, thanks to NZTR.

Thanks for this information - as I pointed out to Fasthorse it was prudent financial management to not up the stakes this year.  Why should a club be inclined to subsidise poor NZTR and NZRB management!

What 3% subsidy.

Some comments , here goes.

You seem to have forgotten Hibiscus painter , the previous very generous sponsor  three cups ago , and  no acknowledgement of sponsors contributions on the day.

No mention of communication ?? , perhaps it happened after all.

3% , That's the difference between the 14% that is taken from each dollar invested on course and the 17% clubs receive, all clubs get it , it's a subsidy .

No mention in Migets initial post about the loss of a race , perhaps some one was trying to paint as bad a picture as possible .

From an industry participants perspective the date change makes no difference , if the later date is better , another club and the wider industry will still benefit .

Not sky TV ,Tabcorp  etc etc , but that's most in the industry wanted .

The bottom line to all of this is , ANY club who has healthy reserves should be in required to open the purse strings a little wider,

And to 2Admin2 , clubs aren't subsidising NZTR , NZRB ,any money added to stakes by clubs goes to owners and trainers , we need to see more of it .