RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
merv o brien

The Racing Manager

Happened to be traveling in the car yesterday with the racing station on, and Peter Early has the Greyhound Racing Manager on the radio.

Well what a bloody embarrassment this guy is to the Industry, Peter Early got on to the subject of current positives within the Greyhounds and The Racing Manager tries to defend the trainer who has the positives to this Canine EPO..

Hey you idiot, the trainers obligation is to present the dog free of drugs or any type of medication that creates a positive..

How about the trainer presenting the greyhound actually as a greyhound rather than having loaded up on some shit and performing like Ben Johnson on steriods.

After that performance maybe GNZ would be better off employing someone who knows something about the Industry and its Rules.

I didn't hear the interview but for 'positive things' why don't they ever talk about the star greyhounds of the moment-Bright Star, Dixie Lee, Thrilling Brat, Speed Legend etc. and the big races coming up like tonights Chch meeting.  Isn't that what's going to attract new people to the greyhound industry who are listening? 

I'm not sure what he actually does, I tried to get hold of him 3 times over the space of 2 days and got voicemail all 3 times, left my name and number all 3 times and never had the decency to ring back ...a great way to treat the industry participants.

dustydreamnz...

Talking about the great things that are happening on the track at the moment requires knowledge of the industry.

Therein lies the problem. Mr O'Brien has identified the issue.

All the best.

Ashoka

Exactly, someone else is needed or required as Peter Fenemor would say. 

I'm not sure what he actually does, I tried to get hold of him 3 times over the space of 2 days and got voicemail all 3 times, left my name and number all 3 times and never had the decency to ring back ...a great way to treat the industry participants.

That is disgraceful behaviour from someone in such a high position. Embarrassing when you think about it tho, talk about setting standards low for others to follow.

Reading up on the technicality of EPO I see that  in layman's terms it is a hormone that triggers the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells.

How can excuses be made for the use of this product ?

Why are we not racing on a " level playing field."?

I am led to believe that caffeine was  unexpectedly contained in the product. 

Where is good old honest NZ greyhound racing headed ?

"As ye sew so shall ye reap"

Ray Adcock

Ray,

I have not read up on canine EPO, but from what I have heard it does not contain erythropoietin that causes the increase in red blood cells, I think EPO is just a selling point for it. Hard to defend a positive from caffeine under those circumstances. It will be interesting to see the result compared to the cough mixture that was accidently administered.

"Canine EPO" doesn't actually contain any EPO. It's just a name to attract people who've heard about real EPO as magical go-fast juice used by Olympians, cyclists etc.

It's advertised as safe and legal, but it actually swabs (caffeine, as mentioned). Hence the warning on the GRNZ website.

"Canine EPO" doesn't actually contain any EPO. It's just a name to attract people who've heard about real EPO as magical go-fast juice used by Olympians, cyclists etc.

It's advertised as safe and legal, but it actually swabs (caffeine, as mentioned). Hence the warning on the GRNZ website.

is it legal in nz  my guess is no  riu should punish the offender min 12 months

Reading up on the technicality of EPO I see that  in layman's terms it is a hormone that triggers the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells.

How can excuses be made for the use of this product ?

Why are we not racing on a " level playing field."?

I am led to believe that caffeine was  unexpectedly contained in the product. 

Where is good old honest NZ greyhound racing headed ?

"As ye sew so shall ye reap"

Ray Adcock

the point is ray if you slap everyone on the wrist for administering drugs what do you expect  min 12 months first offence

If a product is advertised as being safe and legal!! Why wouldn't it be used?? As far as I know there's lots of different products being used with no ill effects.i would think if caffeine was known to be in this product it wouldn't have been used!

I think there is some merit in Lad's post. The rules say that the dog must present drug free on raceday not what you do with your dogs in between. The only difference I can see with this case and historic cases of trainers saying on TV that their dogs or horses were getting an advantage through the administration of oxyshot and this one is that the canine epo contained caffeine that the trainer may not have been aware of, as I said in a previous post it will be hard to defend because they apparently were not drug free on raceday.

Has anyone had a read up on another product that is more than likely being used here by dog trainer's, callled TB500? I understand it is the ultimate performance enhancing drug, it is legal simply because a test to detect it is not available as yet! The advert for this product states a typical side effect which is..."dog's will become very hypoactive and anxious whilst on this product'!!!! Apparently its very expensive to buy.

Has anyone had a read up on another product that is more than likely being used here by dog trainer's, callled TB500? I understand it is the ultimate performance enhancing drug, it is legal simply because a test to detect it is not available as yet! The advert for this product states a typical side effect which is..."dog's will become very hypoactive and anxious whilst on this product'!!!! Apparently its very expensive to buy.

Gee Slim, where'ya been, TB500 is old hat, thats the stuff Nickey Chillcott got caught smuggling in at CH CH Airport.

I think there is some merit in Lad's post. The rules say that the dog must present drug free on raceday not what you do with your dogs in between. The only difference I can see with this case and historic cases of trainers saying on TV that their dogs or horses were getting an advantage through the administration of oxyshot and this one is that the canine epo contained caffeine that the trainer may not have been aware of, as I said in a previous post it will be hard to defend because they apparently were not drug free on raceday.

mike its not conclusive that the caffeine came from epo

Ray,

I have not read up on canine EPO, but from what I have heard it does not contain erythropoietin that causes the increase in red blood cells, I think EPO is just a selling point for it. Hard to defend a positive from caffeine under those circumstances. It will be interesting to see the result compared to the cough mixture that was accidently administered.

actually you will find canine epo doesn't have caffeine ,    so were did the caffeine come from,  before anyone says it does the company that makes  it  has confirmed it doesn't contain caffeine

I heard the so called interview and that's exactly what the manager was saying.the manufacturer stated that no caffeine was in their product but when' tests were done it was found in there.bit hard to blame the trainer I would have thought.

I take that last post back Gary as I believe that tests done in Aus. have revealed caffeine in unopened bottles regardless of the manufacturers claims.

who did the tests

I heard the so called interview and that's exactly what the manager was saying.the manufacturer stated that no caffeine was in their product but when' tests were done it was found in there.bit hard to blame the trainer I would have thought.

firstly is the product legal to use in nz,  if not then who de we blame

I take that last post back Gary as I believe that tests done in Aus. have revealed caffeine in unopened bottles regardless of the manufacturers claims.

so the product was purchased in aust if so is that legal in its self  >

?