RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
WOODBINE

Herby Dyke - Sad News

I was saddened to hear that one of NZ racing's leaders Herby Dyke passed away today.

Herby put a lot into our sport and he will remembered through his continuing sponsorship of several Guineas races at Waikato, Avondale and Wanganui.

Herby was a pioneer of the motor vehicle industry in NZ and he ran excellent businesses. I was privileged to have known and worked with him.

Spelling.

Always get it right.

My wife's horse won the Kalgoorlie Improvers race at Te Rapa on 17th November 1990, sponsored by Herbie, because he had such a soft spot for that tough campaigner Kalgoorlie.

The small trophy that came with the race was spelled

Kalgoorie

The Hamilton Golf Club will miss Herbie.

Remember Kalgoorlie racing at Wanganui and a nice looking horse he was.And quick.

Sad to hear Herbie had passed away.Way back him and my father were friends.

Does anyone know how Herbie died?

Whilst working for NZTR I was asked to drive Mr Dyke out to Trentham on a Saturday morning. He had a large Bentley car. It was more expensive than he house I had just purchased. Driving along the motorway out of Wellington he said to me it would be best to go a bit slower. I replied that I was only doing 100.

He said, "yes, but that is miles per hour...."

Bloody nice car. He wasn't paying as much attention on the trip home....

Whilst working for NZTR I was asked to drive Mr Dyke out to Trentham on a Saturday morning. He had a large Bentley car. It was more expensive than he house I had just purchased. Driving along the motorway out of Wellington he said to me it would be best to go a bit slower. I replied that I was only doing 100.

He said, "yes, but that is miles per hour...."

Bloody nice car. He wasn't paying as much attention on the trip home....

Great tale. Can almost hear Herbie having a chuckle remembering that one as well ...