RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
alexpark

Jewels-Nelson

Nelson surely has to be considered for the jewels now given the time they ran today. To be fair it was an average field and they have gone super quick given the conditions. Granted Miss Moonlite was an extremely classy horse last year, however has not shown that form for some time. Glad to see her back but like i said, imagine if the top horses had a chance to run around here

Have to agree and good to see Miss Moonlite back. The only thing I would say is it is hard to make ground around that last bend and the track is not cambered, otherwise its fair to say it would be a great venue, and its not difficult to get it up to scratch.

I'm sure Tas Man can give you low down on the facilities, track, stables etc. at Richmond. Last time I saw this course, admittedly five or so years ago, it looked tired to be kind and would need a hell of a lot of work/money to update it to even Cambridge standard.

I'm sure Tas Man can give you low down on the facilities, track, stables etc. at Richmond. Last time I saw this course, admittedly five or so years ago, it looked tired to be kind and would need a hell of a lot of work/money to update it to even Cambridge standard.

I like the atmosphere at Nelson, but having been there for the races on Sunday it is fair to say the facilities are pretty basic. Would require a few marquees etc to host a Jewels meeting - which I suppose is possible..?

I agree Stack. Anyone advocating Nelson for a serious harness race is a halfwit.

Good on ya mate, Im sure Mark Jones has a statement saying he believed the start point for the mile at Richmond is the fairest in NZ. Either the jewels at Ashburton permanently or look to use Nelson or Wyndham perhaps

Some odd comments here. I've been to Richmond twenty or more times and seen plenty win from off the pace. Bit of camber wouldn't hurt but home straight's a reasonable length and plenty roomy. Never give up on a horse four back on fence at Richmond

I like the atmosphere at Nelson, but having been there for the races on Sunday it is fair to say the facilities are pretty basic. Would require a few marquees etc to host a Jewels meeting - which I suppose is possible..?

They put on a pretty good "do" for their summer meeting with regards to marquees and you can get a very good view from inside the track.

.....60 years ago not much has changed.

I've pushed on here for Nelson to host as I thought the aim of Jewels was to get out to the provinces to presumably promote/showcase the sport to rekindle and encourage interest.

I also went to the first 4 Jewels ,saw what was involved and thought Nelson could cope even though 'tired' would not be the word to describe the buildings etc.

Extremely old and basic would be more accurate but there is plenty of room for all necessities.

The January meet has "Summer Racing" with a big crowd and marquees etc.,but Jewels would need possibly more for the

Dining packages that are presold and obviously a big part of the day.

The VIP's would need better seating as the seating in this area is 1910's wooden.

The weather in June is cold in South but Nelson excels with a lot of clear sunny days and heat in Sun.

Today was excellent as was yesterday at trots and 7 of last 10 days have been like this.

However last Wednesday there was a 'weather-bomb' with rain and wind gusts up to 140mph.

Sundays meeting was fine but real windy and very cold in all but sheltered areas.[unpleasant]

The track is good-size with a fair start point and fast times possible.We rarely get classy horses here and few mile races to prove this fact.

There are at least 150 stable/yards to house horses and plenty of room generally.

One negative ,as advised by a South Island Trot admin. would be the catering for the 'Dining packages' but surely this could be organised /brought in.

Apparently over 2000 'good' meals are needed !!!Not Hot Dog and chips.

My doubt would be the isolation of Nelson ,meaning all horses would need to travel a big distance.....last week the main route from Christchurch was in doubt for a couple of days.

Sooner or later a South Island Jewels meeting will be screwed by weather.

And the 'tired' facilities , I can't see how an upgrade could be justified for one day .

Currently Nelson only has 4 days racing a year.

I guess Ashburton has about 10 [plus gallops] meets a year and Cambridge about 25 so investment in their infrastructure/facilities is more justified .

Ashburton is close to Christchurch but getting there is costly for visitors etc.

For what its worth my opinion is Harness would be better off spending on facilities for the future so why not Christchurch ???

A 'new track' in Christchurch or Addington ....mile start may not be suitable....then race 1950m .

Originally Jewels was not for Addington or Alex Park but .....now 5yr olds included....it needs tweaking.

Or have one in each Island .

The North Jewels in January @ Cambrdge and South Jewels in June.

All NZ horses eligible , on stakes won but over half the season.

Carting 'one days' racing all over the place ....why ???

A good comprehensive and unbiased reply Gary. Being on a bit of a limb so to speak, would one day of racing, albeit the best available horses, be sufficient to draw a crowd from outside the area, Auckland, Christchurch, the Deep South, to make it worthwhile spending what would really be needed for such a meeting. i.e. would the general public from out of the area attend or just mainly connections of the horses that would be involved? Also for what is regarded as the, or one of the, premier meetings on the annual calendar, would the present flat as opposed to a banked track be acceptabale? I am a bit "a bob each way" as to whether the Jewels meeting should be shifted to Alex/Addington or remain at Cambridge/Ashburton but as to whether Nelson (or any other venue) alternate with Ashburton I have my doubts mainly on the attendance/proxinity to main population areas. Of course the North does not have the options of the South Island regarding suitable tracks. Wouldn't it be great to see the Racing Board invest some big money in tracks like Cambridge and even Nelson to bring them up to the twentieth century - certainly the clubs themselves don't have such money. But I suppose spending such money on items like executive salaries is far more important.

Half Wit for thinking Nelson would be a good place at the Jewels is ridiculous.

Would you rather be drawn outside the front line at Cambridge or Ashburton?

And how many horses won from mid to rear field this year?

Very good start for the mile also a nice big track to get moving early so your not stuck at the back.

Downside to Nelson is the location it is a bit harder to get to for trainers, upside new town getting the Jewels

I think what everyone wants from the jewels in racing terms is this #1 a fair track that gives everyone a chance. #2 I think I get the feeling that they want the racing to be competiitve come the last quarter. Of course horses with the most economical runs will prosper (generally trail and 3pegs always do especially when the speed is on) My main concern about Nelson racing-wise would be the fact that if your 3 back the running line and then turn for home you lose more ground at Nelson than both the current jewels venues due to the lack of camber.

I don't believe that a horse 4 or 5 back the running line should be able to catch the leaders because for me 4 or 5 back simply isnt the position you want a horse to be in anyway but for those that are handy and then have to make up another length or so simply because of the racetrack that only leads to less horses having a fair chance even from good race positions.

A 'new track' in Christchurch or Addington ....mile start may not be suitable....then race 1950m .

One of the unusual aspects of the Jewels is that the concept of the event was almost perfect right from inception.

We must be careful therefore that any changes made are for the better and not just change for change sake. Moving away from the mile distance will rob the event of much interest, seeing Smolda go a record over 1950m is not the same as a great mile time. Our top horses don't get a lot of opportunities over 1mile and changing the distance would be a giant leap backwards for the Jewels.

I would like to see Southland have a turn. The Jewels don't necessiarly need a huge city population base in close proximity (If it were held in Wellington how many people would turn up?). What it needs is a population base where there are a sigificant amount of people involved in the industry. Southland has a strong breeding industry established there.