RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Puntin' Percy

Richard Brosnan

Okay, you usually know sort of drive you'll get with him and bet accordingly. Only backed him on Asian Courage because he had 2 horses inside him on 2 nd row. Thought for sure he couldn't get onto the fence from there, but he steered over and was buried within 50 metres. Gets blocked for a run and flies home with Arron White saying how unlucky he was. I know it has been talked about before, but his eyes must light up when he sees a rail, like the fox's when he spies a chicken coop. I haven't come across any one yet who defends his driving, including mates of mine who are trainers. Mention him and they just laugh.

I can remember one bloke I know ( now a well known trainer, but back then just a punter ) losing the plot one night, tearing down to the fence and giving Brosnan a mouthful over a similar style drive. Wouldn't criticise his training in anyway. Just a bit of a head stratcher as to how he does it. I mean he will draw 5 / 6 on front line and still end up there. Almost like a form of magnetism

Even in the Interdom Final at Addington in 79 driving the hottest of favourites he needed to weave through the field to get up.

Did make it a memorable Final but not sure the punters would have thought so 250m out. I found this quote about that final from Richard Brosnan - kind of cracked me up in the context of this theread

"If I went around them on the bend, I was going to hit the tree at the top of the straight, so I just had to wait and hope the gaps came," said his unflappable trainer/driver Richard Brosnan later.

His nickname has been Birdshit Brosnan for many years.... Because he Sticks To The Rail!!!!!

I suppose when you back him you know what your in for.....

I cant really bag him, that Bonnies Chance was one of my favourites...

He hasnt had any real good horses lately, so maybe thats how he drives them , for luck....

He was a legend in the 80s...

. Bonnies chance lost numerous races because she was late clear or in an awkward place. ? Coincidence?

His nickname has been Birdshit Brosnan for many years.... Because he Sticks To The Rail!!!!!

I suppose when you back him you know what your in for.....

I cant really bag him, that Bonnies Chance was one of my favourites...

He hasnt had any real good horses lately, so maybe thats how he drives them , for luck....

He was a legend in the 80s...

And I thought his nickname was rails Brosnam.

One that springs to mind is the 2nd to Gammalite in Auckland cup, unlucky in hannon, and took a trail behind wrong horse in armalites nz cup. Generally drove well,and from memory never received good draws in Auckland, always on second line it seemed.

I didnt say bad drives brother. When your late clear and unlucky may of been victim of circumstance. When your talking bad drives you mention Peter jones behind yulestar!

You might not have said "bad drives", but you certainly inferred it haha

Or his connections but he is a pretty ordinary horse. In defence of Richards driving he has had a lot of ordinary ones in the last few years who have needed to be driven cold to have any hope.

Asian Courage is a perfect example.

Not too many cold drives on Pompallier.

Was always Birdshit Brosnan here in CHCH...

yes it was the above ..........

.. i bet he wishes ,along with many others in the race ,that liquid lightning had made it to the fence in the nz derby @addington ...

yes he had a blimin awesome team for a few good seasons ... himself, tim ,simo, tracey.. and his late dad ...i think were the combo ....

back then was about the time i started to folow dave gaffeny(spelling wrong) team ..

the move north may have been for personal reasons .. start a fresh ...

Or his connections but he is a pretty ordinary horse. In defence of Richards driving he has had a lot of ordinary ones in the last few years who have needed to be driven cold to have any hope.

Asian Courage is a perfect example.

Not too many cold drives on Pompallier.

I think from memory

Pompalliers's two most notable wins NZ Trotting Championship and the Dominion Handicap were with drivers other than Richard Brosnan.

.... three and four back the fence werent bad places to be back then with no passing lane ,, and the 70 to earlier 90's style of diving in the south island

your three and four back outer normaly had to make a move on or before the turn ,the leader would try and kick and gaps opened if you were good enough .......trail sometimes was a down fall ....

As an 11yo in 1979 it was my favourite race (Interdom trotters final)and to this day haven't seen many better harness races... perhaps Lord Modules run to finish 3rd to Idolmite @ Forbury one night many years ago or was he 2nd?

Yes once upon a time Forbury use to get top horses running.

Cheers,

Craig.

As an 11yo in 1979 it was my favourite race (Interdom trotters final)and to this day haven't seen many better harness races... perhaps Lord Modules run to finish 3rd to Idolmite @ Forbury one night many years ago or was he 2nd?

Yes once upon a time Forbury use to get top horses running.

Cheers,

Craig.

I was at Addington that night (although alas not as an 11yo) and the memory will never leave me.

I've never seen anything like it since.